Rubber dampers, life extender

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Having had some slap in the drive since I got my 05 ST1300 6 months ago, I decided to check out the rubber dampers today.
Well the PO had a rather inovative solution to extend the life of the dampers. He had inserted a piece of inner tube over the divider and down next to the rubbers to push them out further.
Has anyone else seen this done?
I will order some new cush rubbers when the dealer opens again.
Garry

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's a new one... was going to move this to the joke section except you're serious... lol..

There's supposed to be a little slop in the system, that's completely normal. Glad you caught it before any of that stuff created debris that would make it to the bearings.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
ST1100 I really don't know, but the tube insert was trapped under the cush rubber. I'm trying to get some pics uploaded to illustrate. The

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Mellow, the posts that I have read thus far, indicate that assembly is really tight and requires silicone and a "persuader". The rubber dampers themselves appear to be in really good condition, with no deterioration or wear evident, but disassembly and assembly are really easy, it just slips together, is that normal?
Garry

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm pretty sure they just slip on for both the 1100 and 1300, not tight at all or at least not so tight they need some lub for assembly.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That assembly is completely different from the 1100 and makes me wonder what the spider looks like, or how those dampers do not move, since there is large open spaces in there?? The 1100 dampers, when new, are a snug fit and do require some pounding with a rubber mallet to fully seat in their pockets. There are no open spaces in the hub, with the dampers installed, on the 1100.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Mellow, it must be the 1100 that needs lube and persuasion as Bush says.
Bush, the 1300 has an opposing face that fills in the gaps. Sort of the same profile only offset if that makes sense.
970mike, it doesn't seem to have harmed anything, it was just very strange to come across this "mod", and I wanted opinions from people more knowledgable on the ST.
With the damper rubbers being in very good condition, maybe they are still OK, I just don't know when they were last replaced if ever.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
When I read "under" the dampers I guessed it was alongside the dampers to shim side-to-side movement. There would be no reason to shim underneath each rubber block. I see what you mean by under the dampers.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
What I'm wondering now, is whether to replace the dampers or not. They seem to be in good condition, and I would hate to waste the money on new one's. What are the thoughts of those members more knowledgable on the subject?
Advice would be welcomed. Thanks
Garry

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are they hardened or is there still some squish left in them? Are there any surface cracks or bits or chunks missing? Do you get any clunking when engaging a gear? When the bike is on the center stand and in gear can you rock the tire back and forth without getting any clunking from the hub? Any indications of deterioration?

They look in good shape from your pics and if it the answer is No to the above questions I'd keep 'em. Their job is to absorb some shock while preventing metal to metal contact and they look up to the job. Were it me I'd keep 'em. But if they were dirt cheap to replace I'd do it because clean parts will probably add another .5HP and 5mph to the top end.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
ST Gui, thanks for your response.
They are pretty hard but with a tiny amount of squish if pressed with a finger nail. No cracks or chunks missing, and not clunking when engaging gear. As far as I remember there is no clunking in the hub. No evidence of deterioration.
So from my answers to your questions, it does look like they are still good.
I'll reasemble and test, and if I'm still not happy I'll invest in some new one's.
Many thanks for the advice.
Ride safe
Garry

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
They are pretty hard but with a tiny amount of squish if pressed with a finger nail.
That would be expected given the torque they have to deal with.

Glad I could help. I just hope I'm right! :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The 1300 cush rubbers should be a tight fit with the wheel and spline hub - it's a job to remove or press the driven hub down into the wheel. New ones are relatively inexpensive at $20 but they last forever. Part number is 06410-MCS-G00. It's a nice motorcycle, ditch the inner tube pieces and make it right.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
My question is if there's enough room for the extra rubber are they worn?

Had to go check my records (memory thing again) I haven't changed mine yet at 50k miles. Have changed them on other bikes. My now gone KLX for one.

How many miles on bike?

Make sure you check the flange bearings also.

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Just a guess, but perhaps the PO thought that the slight cush damper play was a contributor to jerky throttle.

I doubt the original cush dampers are 'worn'. But they've probably reshaped themselves ever-so-slightly to accommodate the extra space used by the inner tube wraps that the PO put in place.

My opinion... I'd probably remove the inner tube wraps just to be sure they didn't slowly work their way into some other location which could put unusual loads into the assembly. These cush dampers are fine and will go hundreds of thousands of miles without having to be replaced.

But if you're always going to wonder about the dampers, just replace them for $21.11 + S/H.

Top Bottom