Sena SMH10 usage with car Blue tooth

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So here's the deal. My wife and I are going away for the weekend. She is taking the car and I am on the bike. We currently own the SENA SMH10 headsets that we use all the time on the bikes.
So here is the question.

Has anyone used one of these SENA units and tried to pair with a cars blue tooth and be able to communicate with another SENA headset? If so how?

Her car is blue tooth enabled and has hands free operation for like answering the phone. So it also has a built in mic to the car.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Not gonna work.

Your confusing speaker/mic bluetooth pairing in the car with the physical connection of the speaker mic to the Sena.
Unless you mean trying to just use one Sena and then use the car, in wich case it won't work since the car does not have any type of programming for conferencing.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Just use your headset to call her... or have her wear her helmet. (someone was gonna say it)

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Your confusing speaker/mic bluetooth pairing in the car with the physical connection of the speaker mic to the Sena
That is what I was looking for.

ust use your headset to call her... or have her wear her helmet.
We are through many areas with out cell service, so calling is not always an option. And yea I was waiting for the helmet comment to come up. :)

Bike
ST1300A4
I've thought about this myself (though I use Interphone kit). I'd get a spare helmet like this one:- http://www.sena.com/product/helmet-clamp-kit-for-earbuds-with-attachable-boom-microphone-wired-microphone/ which allows you to plug in earbuds and has a detachable mic. Then get a single earpiece boom headset (like for skype calls on a PC, or for mobile phone use) and connect them together. Get the right headset and the earpiece will plug in where the earbuds should go, the mic will need some soldering skills to replace connectors. The SMH10 can then be put somewhere reasonably high up in the car (so it has clear line of sight through the glass for optimum range) and your wife just wear a light single-sided headset.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I don't think the Sena intercom will go through the metal of the car. We tried it using a spare SMH10 with a speaker plugged into the earbud port. It did not work.

We just use the handsfree cellphone now if we need communicate.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I've thought about this myself (though I use Interphone kit).
This may be an option, but for now we will just have to us a phone where we can. Honestly I don't know if it is worth the effort as we have not even do this before, going somewhere one in the car and the other on the bike. I was hoping for a quick, easy and cheap option. I even did the firmware upgrade yesterday hope that that woul help with some of the new features but no go on that too.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have done it with my wife she had the Bluetooth in the car and connected her phone I just called her or she would call me. But it was in the NE where there is probably better cell coverage. You can also try sending text messages by voice I can do that on my iphone this may work where cell coverage is spotty.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
wouldn't it be easier, cheaper to use a set of FRS radios for $40 buck a pair... add boom mics

I used one, single ear piece that came with the FRS radio under my helmet opposite the sena mic ( it had a boom mic ). Looks like below ( radios were cheap Midlands )
a twin pack for $12 ; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-Over-The-Ear-Headset-2-Pack/10603645

41iKRM3LSgL._SY300_.jpg

BTW, not the best, but did work ok

Last edited:
Top Bottom