Bought an ST1100

Does anyone recognise this 2001 ST1100? Purchased from roadrunner motorcycles in Stroud. Has an unusual seat cover that will need to change. Just under 32000 miles on the clock. st112.jpg

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Has a small crack in the fairing. Asked the dealer to remove the decals you can see in above picture. Is this an easy repair. Does the cam cover in photo look damaged at the bottom? Can't be sure.
IMG_6854.jpg

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
The cam cover comes in 2 pieces. The front piece is plastic and the back piece is metal; the fit is not perfect.

OP
OP
Thanks for reply. Does this one look normal? May just be the photograph.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Hi I'm not sure if they are or just reflective material. The crack is very thin and on the second photo.

Cheers

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I imagine the previous owner added the gold mesh over several of the fairing openings for a different "look", but the openings around the engine are designed to carry heat away and may be best removed. The opening on the left side cover, near the grab handle, is especially handy to have uncovered, as you can keep an SAE plug connected to the battery in there, for use with a heated vest or jacket. When not in use, the plug will sit in there out of sight.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Has a small crack in the fairing. Asked the dealer to remove the decals you can see in above picture. Is this an easy repair. Does the cam cover in photo look damaged at the bottom? Can't be sure.
IMG_6854.jpg

Back to your crack . . . That photo doesn't show much of anything out of order. Did you intend to show us the cracked fairing, or your supposed crack in the cam cover? The fairing is made of ABS plastic, so an ABS cement will repair, or stop, the crack.

OP
OP
Zoom into the photograph. It can be expanded and you will see a vertical straight crack/line within the part of the fairing that is actually part of the whole front fairing assembly. You can see it reflected in the light within photo. The cam cover is OK. Told it is in 2 parts and where it meets is not perfect. Just looks like the mating surface in photo is damaged. Again. Zoom in.

Regards.

Peter

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Zoom into the photograph. It can be expanded and you will see a vertical straight crack/line within the part of the fairing that is actually part of the whole front fairing assembly. You can see it reflected in the light within photo. The cam cover is OK. Told it is in 2 parts and where it meets is not perfect. Just looks like the mating surface in photo is damaged. Again. Zoom in.

Regards.

Pete

I click on your picture and get a roughly 5" X 7" picture. Can't zoom anymore than that on my iMac, it seems. I think I see a crack, almost directly above the first cam cover bolt (not the plastic cover) but does it extend right from top to bottom? In other words, is that whole section cracked off from everything forward of it? Again, ABS cement will do a strong repair, but try to avoid seepage of cement from the back onto the painted side. The cement actually melts the plastic together again, so very little is needed.

OP
OP
Thanks very much mate. The crack is only just over an inch. I think I will try the abs cement. Do I just apply a small amount on the rear portion following the crack?

Thanks again

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks very much mate. The crack is only just over an inch. I think I will try the abs cement. Do I just apply a small amount on the rear portion following the crack?

Thanks again

If you can open the crack ever so slightly and then put a wee dab of cement along it, that would ensure the best bonding of the cracked surface. Of course, you need to get this panel off the bike, which means pretty much all the plastic has to come off. If some cement should squeeze through the crack onto the paint, wipe it off immediately with a clean dry cloth. I'm not sure if ABS cement solvent would harm paint, so best to avoid getting it there in the first place.

OP
OP
Thanks Bush for advice. Just want to prevent the crack getting any bigger due to vibration and the elements. I bought a few Honda oil filters for the bike and noticed 2 of them had an exposed nut inside and one with a cover. They are for this model of bike. Might be just different country of manufacture or changed filter design.IMG_20160920_114646.jpgIMG_20160920_114631.jpgIMG_20160920_114646.jpgIMG_20160920_114646.jpg

Cheers mate

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks Bush for advice. Just want to prevent the crack getting any bigger due to vibration and the elements. I bought a few Honda oil filters for the bike and noticed 2 of them had an exposed nut inside and one with a cover. They are for this model of bike. Might be just different country of manufacture or changed filter design.IMG_20160920_114646.jpgIMG_20160920_114631.jpgIMG_20160920_114646.jpgIMG_20160920_114646.jpg

Cheers mate

Hope the repair goes well for you. Glad to help. One of those filters DOES appear to have different construction, even as to the oil flow holes size and number. The ones with eight holes looks more like the ones I have always used. Pictures are a wee bit blurry, so can't really see if the gasket is different as well. I'd return that one for one like the others.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

Cheers mate

Just checked one in my stock pile (Honda part # 15410-MFJ-DO1) and there is no nut inside, just a smooth cover over what is probably the pressure relief valve. Also has the eight holes.

OP
OP
Thanks again bush. I always use OEM parts on my bikes. You think it may be that I'm in the UK those other 2 are showing the nut and no holes? Doesn't seem right to me either. They are both in honda genuine packaging and the one with the cover and holes came loose but has Honda logo etc. Purchased from fowlers in Bristol UK that deal with all OEM parts.

Cheers mate.

OP
OP
Part Number: 15410MCJ505
ST1100A1 - OIL PUMP
Is the part number for Honda oil filters without holes and nut exposed and
FILTER SET, OIL
Part Number: 15010MCEH51
ST1100A1 - OIL PUMP
Is for the one with nut covered and 8 filtration holes.

Cheers

Top Bottom