Article [13] ST1300 - Scuff Guards on the Cheap

You've seen those nice scuff guards from the UK. I thought they would be a great way to protect the sides of the bike seeing how I still have most of my Army boots. Those boots love to leave the black marks everywhere. But once again, it comes down to money and the lack thereof.

I went down to the local Carzone for some other Farkle related items and came across this 2" Safety Tread tape and an idea was born.

I made some rubbings of the frame, drew out the pattern with a marker and redrew it about an 1/8" smaller all the way around. These patterns will work for both sides if you just flip it over. NOTE: The right side larger triangle piece does NOT have the lower cut out. So make that side first, then cut it out on your pattern for the left side.

I took scissors and cut out my pattern and then verified the cut by placing the paper on the frame. I cleaned the frame really well and finished off the cleaning with some alcohol so I was sure this was sticking forever.

I laid the patterns over the tape and penciled around them. Now the tape is only 2" wide so each piece had to be done with two strips. No Problem, I just cut more tape and placed it above the other piece as I traced it out. (Keep in mind the angles)

I then just took the pieces over to the bike and carefully put them on. The seam is hardly noticable and it cost me about $8 and 35 minutes of my time.

I have posted the pictures with more descriptions and a bit of a numbering system in the event someone wants to try this out. See my albums for this and other modifications.

Attachments

• Scuff Guard 3.JPG
    Scuff Guard 3.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Scuff Guard 2.JPG
    Scuff Guard 2.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 495
  • Scuff Guard 1.JPG
    Scuff Guard 1.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 515
  • Scuff Guard 7.JPG
    Scuff Guard 7.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 735
  • Scuff Guard 6.JPG
    Scuff Guard 6.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Scuff Guard 5.JPG
    Scuff Guard 5.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 323
  • Scuff Guard 4.JPG
    Scuff Guard 4.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years, I have ordered three sets from the UK! (one for each: '05, '04 & '10) The are great!

Keith Munro of Bikequip http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/index.html sells some which work well. Look at the section 'Protection Kits'. I suspect uses similar very sticky material so you have to make sure you line it up well before applying to the frame, but looks neat enough once applied. I have put it on two different ST1300s so far. The kit also includes a piece to protect the frame by the pillion footrests too.

After finding out that Bike Quip in the UK is currently closed due to owner illness I decided to make my own. I found some 4" Safety-Walk textured tape so I wouldn't have to worry about seams. Since I don't seem to scuff up the toe area I only made protectors for the heel areas. I think they came out ok. I've got enough on the roll to make another 6 sets (Rt & Lft heel area only). I'll post in the For Sale area if you are interested in the heel area protectors.

Templates:
Scuff pads 1.jpg

On the Bike:
Scuff pads 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom