Honda Big Announcement end of October 2017.

Thanks Dave,
Glad to see they've brought back the ST!!!
55178c8a1db80baa8187025b59406e20.jpg

Wishful thinking [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 3 versions of the Goldwing

Watch the Video below and read the links, they will answer most of your questions.

REVIEW

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-honda-gold-wing/preview/

http://ridermagazine.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-review/

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-look-18-fast-facts/

http://powersports.honda.com/2018/gold-wing/compare.aspx

https://powersports.honda.com/2018/gold-wing.aspx

https://youtu.be/ufzzFCAtLT4

In reading the links and watching the video, this is a rather amazing bike. Of course with Honda no one has gone this far, the video will reveal most of that. Both bikes are interchangeable with the Tour Pack, i.e. you can either add it to the Gold Wing or remove it from the Gold Wing Tour. The gas tank has been reduced to 5.5 gallons but this bikes mileage in test was 22% better than the previous Wing and that being 42 MPG in turn traveling the same distance and as previous model carrying 6.6 gallons (35 MPG on Honda Website). This was accomplished thru multiple engine enhancements including 4 valves per cylinder.

OK, as I posted elsewhere, I will take both bikes for a ride in the spring. I like it that it is a big bike that still gets decent mileage. Again on Honda Powersports at 42mpg est. and the ST1300 at 35mpg est. I am sure this bike will get near the ST's mileage. Like most here, highway riding on the ST is from 47 in wind to 53-54mpg at 65-70mph. The GW has 125hp @ 5500rpm and 125fpt @ 4500rpm, the torque is huge with that kind of HP!!! So at 5.5 gallons and the fuel warning coming on with 1 gallon left that leaves 202 miles at 45mpg, very doable I'll assume. Self cancelling turn signals, cruise, heated seat and grips, 10 yr nav system incl, ABS, wishbone fork, Electronic suspension with 4 modes and too many others to list here. As I recall there is a thread in our forums from way back of all the things people would have liked to see on the ST, well this bike has them and more. Maybe Honda was listening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171024-224911.jpg
    Screenshot_20171024-224911.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20171024-224633.jpg
    Screenshot_20171024-224633.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20171024-224825.jpg
    Screenshot_20171024-224825.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20171024-224734.jpg
    Screenshot_20171024-224734.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20171024-224543.jpg
    Screenshot_20171024-224543.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
there is a great write-up of a test ride of the new Goldwing 2 days ago in Japan on Rider magazine.com.
he goes into great detail about the front suspension and handling.
Jefro.

I've just spent a couple hours reading reviews and watching videos on this bike. Sounds like it has plenty of power and handles great, not to mention all the features. So far, it looks like Honda hit a grand slam.

IMO, the new Yamaha touring bike announced a few months ago is not even close, although it's probably aimed at a slightly different demographic. I'm super impressed with the new wing.

+1

Another bike to walk by on the way to the parts Department.

With all the build up, I was expecting something different. More bike, less doo-dads. Reduced the tank size but the MPGs are higher. 200 mile range. Sure, they're where they should have been 20 years ago. It is listed as a touring bike.

You guys enjoy it!

Last edited:
Last edited:
That red tour model is gorgeous to me - an ST on steroids.

There is an optional kit available to remove the Tour trunk. Presumably a cover plate or something. Available color-matched for extra cost. (My ST Top Box is more or less permanently installed, so I don't know that I care about this).

Of course it has cruise control.

Being an Android phone user, I'm a bit disappointed in the Apple Carplay feature. I don't want to have to buy an iPhone, although I suppose I could just connect my Pixel phone to a Bluetooth headset. I'd just loose the screen, caller ID, controls, etc. They don't have a headset as an option, just suggest an aftermarket Bluetooth headset.

Other dislikes: Luggage space is smaller than the existing GW. Passenger grabrails are in a bad spot (Tuttle at Rider said one has to lead forward to grab). Windshield goes down when the bike is shut off, and remembers it's old position when restarted (I just hope it's more durable than the ST). Smaller gas tank, although it's supposed to get better mileage (I doubt if we'll see ST range - not that I care). Accessory options are expensive (big surprise).

I haven't figured out what that plastic plate above the dash is for. Maybe a vent of some sort?

The base model is missing some goodies: no center stand, no torque control, no electric damping or electric preload adjust. Although it looks like the top box is an option.

Seems to me that by making it smaller, lighter, and with ride modes including a sport mode, Honda just moved the GW closer towards the ST market. Therefore now providing a reason to halt production of the ST. I still get a kick out of the fact that they are still selling brand new ST1300s. God, how many are they selling a year nationwide?? What...20? 30?

I know it's naive to expect a new ST. :cry: However, I DO like that GW now that it's lighter.

Never owned a Goldwing---I am about to--now the difficult part from here is deciding exactly which one I'm gonna attach the rest of my life onto. At first I thought I would never own an automatic (that idea just evaporated) never thought I would want one of those giant trunk thingies (it's removable sooooo I'm cool with it) never thought I would own a cordless helmet (looks like Bluetooth just got it together with CB and all)
Friends, as far as I'm concerned Honda just created perfection and I have zero will to resist.

I've had a couple 1800s and people seem to be concerned about the weight a lot. But, it does feel lighter than the ST in many situations and the reverse is something I always wish the ST had.

That being said, I'm still holding out hope that the ST is next on the list of bikes to bring back into the limelight with an updated version... an ST with similar features would be awesome.. but if that's truly the end of it.. I'd be pretty darn happy with the wing.....

Back
Top Bottom