Honda Big Announcement end of October 2017.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Interesting bike and nice evolution from the current model.

I didn't click and read all the links and maybe some of this has been addressed but a couple of thoughts.............
* I wonder how the core GW crowd is going to feel about the reduced trunk and saddle bag capacity? Overall I don't think this is a positive change and will probably be poorly received.
* The electrically adjustable windshield is great. The reset to lower position and then to adjusted height upon restart is a bogus feature just to highlight the new tech. I think the earlier gen FJR did the same thing and its been revised to just stay in position on shutoff.
* The whole "dash" area has been substantially upgraded and the dozens of buttons removed and functionality integrated into the touchscreen. Maybe only downside here is that the width of the lower fairing is less and will that result in less protection?

I see the ST listed on the US site is a 2012 model and the 2010 is there as well. I think when you see "new" 5 and 7 year old bikes it kind of reinforces that market is pretty limited for this type of bike and Honda probably won't be in a huge rush to replace it. Maybe the thought is the new GW and the 1200x covers most of the limited demand for an ST type bike.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep, 2018 is the first year for the power shield on the Gold Wing series. The Gold Wing Tour series (all 3 versions with top case, manual and DCT and DCT-air bag) have the full sized shield. Both versions of the Gold Wing (without the top case, manual and DCT tranny) have a shorter shield. All powered.
I like that the DCT versions of all have engine powered reverse, but the manual versions still have the electric motor reverse. Likely the starter/alternator motor (yep, one motor for both those functions to reduce weight).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I would say that's a compliment... the Accord is an awesome car.
It is and the new Accords share some STyling cues with the new Wing. (Vice versa actually). But the original statement makes no sense.

The new Wing has a lot of features other bikes have already had. Honda's just doing catch up and doing so very nicely. The only real car-like feature is Apple Play and maybe DCT (which some Honda bikes have had before and spoken highly of by dduelin and others). Apple has had Nav displays before.

Lighter faster quicker better handling and less baggage capacity and a smaller gas tank makes it much less Accord-like and more motorcycle than previous Wings.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There are way way too many positive bits in posts to quote. But I agree with all of them. This new 'Wing is freakin' Awesome.

It's a beauty eh? The front end stops short of looking too Transformer-ish to me and evokes the look of the ST1100. Now I love my 1300 but have always admired how the 1100 looks from the front. And I see a lot of that when I look at this new Wing.

The DCT option and now that I've just learned the Tour's trunk is removable (!) make this bike even more attractive to me. (Trunk-wise I'd probably be fine with keeping the trunk and removing some of that throne-look upholstery.)

And I like seeing the round Honda Wing emblems on the new bikes!

While I won't be buying one (GoldWing Tour DCT Pearl White) it will be interesting to see how the mileage shakes out once reviewers stop riding it like an ST.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

While I won't be buying one (GoldWing Tour DCT Pearl White) it will be interesting to see how the mileage shakes out once reviewers stop riding it like an ST.
After you don't buy one you'll have to post up some pics to not show us what the white doesn't look like in person. :)

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
That red tour model is gorgeous to me - an ST on steroids.
Being an Android phone user, I'm a bit disappointed in the Apple Carplay feature. I don't want to have to buy an iPhone, although I suppose I could just connect my Pixel phone to a Bluetooth headset. I'd just loose the screen, caller ID, controls, etc. They don't have a headset as an option, just suggest an aftermarket Bluetooth headset.
One of the video reviews mentioned that android phones can still connect via bluetooth. So it still will do at least calling features. Just loose Carplay. I 'm hoping google assistant will work.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rjs987 said:
After you don't buy one you'll have to post up some pics to not show us what the white doesn't look like in person.
I'm a little afraid to get too close to one. You know... In case I don't buy it.

ST_Jim said:
I 'm hoping google assistant will work.
If it doesn't out of the box I wonder if it's something fixable with a firmware update.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Interesting bike and nice evolution from the current model.

I didn't click and read all the links and maybe some of this has been addressed but a couple of thoughts.............
* I wonder how the core GW crowd is going to feel about the reduced trunk and saddle bag capacity? Overall I don't think this is a positive change and will probably be poorly received.
* The electrically adjustable windshield is great. The reset to lower position and then to adjusted height upon restart is a bogus feature just to highlight the new tech. I think the earlier gen FJR did the same thing and its been revised to just stay in position on shutoff.
* The whole "dash" area has been substantially upgraded and the dozens of buttons removed and functionality integrated into the touchscreen. Maybe only downside here is that the width of the lower fairing is less and will that result in less protection?

I see the ST listed on the US site is a 2012 model and the 2010 is there as well. I think when you see "new" 5 and 7 year old bikes it kind of reinforces that market is pretty limited for this type of bike and Honda probably won't be in a huge rush to replace it. Maybe the thought is the new GW and the 1200x covers most of the limited demand for an ST type bike.
I've read several comments from LD riders and, as expected, the loss of storage (150L to 110L) and fuel capacity (6.5 gal to 5.5 gal) are the two big disappointments, even with the 20% increase in mpg. They seem to really like everything else.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I'm sure any "holes" left by Honda will rapidly be addressed by the aftermarket. Why, I bet the fine folks at Sena, Kuryakyn, Givi, National Cycle and a jillion others are busily brainstorming, sketching and designing as I type this!

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Now we know why Honda didn't do anything to the ST in the last few years of its run. They were working on this new GL and it would fill the gap. I like the new GL sans the rear trunk. I'm confident the new bike will do everything better than the old ST.

On my wish list.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Personally, I think I would want to give that new front end a year or so to mature. Never seen handlebars connected to a steering mechanism with "tie rods" before.

Dan

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Personally, I think I would want to give that new front end a year or so to mature. Never seen handlebars connected to a steering mechanism with "tie rods" before.
Yeah, although it looks simpler than say Yamaha's GTS front end. As with any new bike (or car, or xxx) it takes a while to really work the kinks out.

But there is some history too - the frames are now robotically welded, so perhaps they learned from the GL1800 fiasco. I hope the windshield motor mechanism is more robust that the ST1300's, but that at least won't cause an accident. And similarly, SW bugs in the Bluetooth and infotainment display junk will be in the nuisance category also.

It'll probably take me a year to warm up to it enough to spring that kind of money loose anyway.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I've read several comments from LD riders and, as expected, the loss of storage (150L to 110L) and fuel capacity (6.5 gal to 5.5 gal) are the two big disappointments, even with the 20% increase in mpg. They seem to really like everything else.
I suppose that if Honda gets enough negative feedback on this then a future edition (2019 or 2020) might have revised storage as it's relatively simple to redesign.

Bike
Bikeless
Now we know why Honda didn't do anything to the ST in the last few years of its run. They were working on this new GL and it would fill the gap. I like the new GL sans the rear trunk. I'm confident the new bike will do everything better than the old ST.
Better than the ST1100, maybe, better than the ST1300, not so sure.

I wonder if this downsized version was also done to appeal to police forces.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
All this positive commentary begs the question, "who'll be the first ST-O forum member to buy a new '18 Goldwing?" Ideally, it ought to be Mellow! Shall we each give him ten dollars, and send him on his way?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
All this positive commentary begs the question, "who'll be the first ST-O forum member to buy a new '18 Goldwing?" Ideally, it ought to be Mellow! Shall we each give him ten dollars, and send him on his way?
Lol....

Top Bottom