Ferret gets a new ride

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Ferrett. I’ll give you $5k cash. In a bag. as it sits. Ill need all the parts to put it back to normal seat height. You wont have to worry about it no more once i pick it up! Lol

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Yea, great bike. The FJR has really turned into a ride with great features and improvements. Its come a long way. If they come out with some more colors next year, I might take a look. Good luck with Ur new toy !

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Hey Mickey sorry to here you messed your elbow up. Hope you heal up real soon. Those scratches don't look that bad. Gives it a little character like a good piece of osage:D

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Gee thanks Doug..let me ponder that awhile lol

Well three and a half weeks in and the elbow is healing/feeling pretty good. Ortho doc is making me stretch it and twist it a bit. Have to wear a sling for another week then he wants me to start lifting/pushing the arm for strength. Have a bike trip planned back to West Virginia for Oct 8 and doc thinks I will make it. Probably ride the lighter/lower CB 1100 on the trip. Had my son ride it down to the dealer today and have new tires put on it for the trip. I have sat on the bikes in the garage, stretched my arms out to the bars,and pulled the clutch a couple of times..made vroom vroom noises. Can't wait to be on 2 wheels again.

btw where dd the Mileage Tracker go? I need to see how many miles I need to make up to get back in the top 10.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Thanks Joe, and thank as always for your hard work

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Good news, went back to ortho doc today. More xrays showed I am basically healed. He was surprised by my range of motion, which I have worked hard on, and lack of pain. Gave me the OK to ride on our upcoming Mens Trip starting Monday. Back to West Virginia and some crazy curvy roads. woo hoo. Will try hard not to fall off this time lol.

Great news from your Ortho doc!... Glad to learn you are a quick healer & that you followed recommendations to get back your range of motion & hopefully full strength!... Your joy in getting the go-ahead to take part in your upcoming Monday trip to WV & those curvy roads is wonderful!... Hope the weather forecasts are favorable for your trip in this transitional seasonal back/forth...Enjoy your trip!

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Great news Mick! Just a small set back thats behind you.
You get that seat lowered on that yammie?

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
well 5 days 1108 miles lots of awesome roads. Feels good to be back in the saddle. Arm is a little weak but serviceable. Strength will come back. Going to try real hard not to fall down again lol.

Doug not yet but thinking about it

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Glad to hear Ferret and keep getting better and don't skimp on the PT exercises, even when they hurt.

Bike
14 FJR1300 05 ST1300
Sorry about your elbow. Broke mine right side July 20 using a bicycle in stead of the my FJR. Broke the olecrannon and had surgery 4 days later. They installed a metal plate and screws to hold it all in place. Unfortunately the screws pulled out and I was left with the choice of leaving it or more surgery involving reattaching my tricep muscle. I left it alone and so far I seem to be getting better with little pain and 90% range of motion. Going in Nov. 6 for x-rays to see if the bones are getting together. It is disconcerting to feel them moving around when I move my arm.

Started riding the FJR again about a month ago. I really like the cruise control now since it gives my right arm a rest and it doesn't hurt as much. I bought my FJR in February it s a 2014ES. The previous owner had put a lot of extras on it like the Canyon crash bars and a Givi 47 top case. It had 2,500 miles on it and came with everything including the bag liners a Yamaha service manual, oil filter and all the original owners manuals keys etc. I don't know why he sold it he also had a 2003 ST in the garage that he was going to keep, maybe he was just a ST guy and couldn't get used to the Yamaha. I sold my 2005 ST last July.
So there you go don't know you but we do have a couple of things in common, some good some bad. Hope you're healing completely and are able to enjoy your new bike.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
wow Rix your's was a much worse break than mine. Mine was a non displaced fracture meaning it broke but everything was still where it was supposed to be. Only needed time to heal. Hope yours heals completely. sounds like a bad break.

I can understand the prev owner of your bike holding on to his ST and letting the FJR go. I loved my ST. If Honda had just updated it a little I would have bought a new ST instead of the FJR. I am not as comfortable on the FJR as I was on my ST. I will get used to it of course, but it feels strange after 10 years and 110,000 mileson my ST.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I can understand the prev owner of your bike holding on to his ST and letting the FJR go. I loved my ST. If Honda had just updated it a little I would have bought a new ST instead of the FJR. I am not as comfortable on the FJR as I was on my ST.
I am hoping to take advantage of your experience here. Given your stated preference for the ST1300 over the FJR, might I ask what it is specifically that is missing on the ST1300 that caused your decision to switch. Excluding the obvious factory cruise control and heated grips (that should have been on the ST from the beginning) what was it?

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I am hoping to take advantage of your experience here. Given your stated preference for the ST1300 over the FJR, might I ask what it is specifically that is missing on the ST1300 that caused your decision to switch. Excluding the obvious factory cruise control and heated grips (that should have been on the ST from the beginning) what was it?
Andrew... a new ST in Honda's lineup, that's what was missing. Had Honda had a new 2018 ST 1300 with updated features I'd have bought one in a heartbeat. However they didn't so.....Some of the updates on the Yamaha are really nice, heated grips, cruise control, 6 speed trans, more adjustable suspension, better gauge package, 80 pounds lighter weight, more horsepower, better linked braking system, ABS, Traction control, ride modes and it's MUCH easier to change the oil/filter on the FJR. A lot of great features..and I actually paid less for the 2018 Yamaha than Honda's advertised price on a left over 2012 ST 1300.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
The electronics will come to you. Just need some seat time. I have a 2014 model and came from an 08 FJR. It took me time to adjust to the electronics but is second nature now. You have LED headlights where I don't and also 6 speeds to my 5. They are nice bikes but I do enjoy the ST also. Just bought a McCruise to put on mine and that will bring it up to date somewhat. The FJR cruise spoiled me. The ST gas tank spoils me.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Over 9000 miles on the FJR now. Getting more comfortable with the bike. Getting rid of the oem Bridgestone tires for some Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's really sharpened up the handling in the curvy bits and they should last longer. Moved the handlebars to the most rearward of 3 positions. Not much change but a little. Broken elbow is completely healed and feels no different than the other one. I bought some boots with waffle stomper soles which helps reaching the ground, and raised the front fork tubes 3/8" in the trees. Still feels a bit tall but not sure what to do about that. Most reasonable thing is to get Greatdaytoride to cut an inch out of the seat,(and stick some LD foam in there while he's at it) but then I'm afraid the knee bend might be excessive. Other option is to get lowering links for rear shock which would alter suspension feeling, lower ground and cornering clearance, and maybe cause issues with side and center stands. You guys with 32+" inseams don't know how good you have it lol.

Top Bottom