Ferret gets a new ride

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Nice bike Ferret. Congrats.

I have a shiny blue 2018 and before that a 2010 shown in my avatar pic. Givi 47 with Admore LED light kit and 357 rack here too.

I had an ST1300 for quite a few years but switched when Honda bailed on the sport touring market. The FJR is a great bike, reliable, easy to work on and good value to buy.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Thanks Jeff. Honda bailed on the ST market and on me as far as I am concerned. Too bad, I love Honda products . Have had 10 street bikes, 10 cars, an ATV and a generator. Every one has been amazing. I'm afraid on this Honda left me no choice.

Hey Max I have a great gift idea for your cousin lol. (if you give him gifts). They make single Guardian locks. I got my brother one so he would quit using mine at every stop.

Helmet locks and tie down hooks should come on every bike imo

One thing I absolutely love on this new Yamaha is how ridiculously EASY it is to change the oil filter. Right there on the left side of the engine. Right out in the open where you can get to it, yet protected from road debris. I think I changed my oil filter 27 times on my ST and hated doing it every time, made a mess, I think, every time but once. Also the drain, filter, fill and inspection window are all on the Same side and within inches of each other. So...no more running from side to side.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yes, oil and air filter access on the ST are simply....stupid.

In fact, even checking the oil is a real chore for those of us with bad knees. Getting right down on the ground and peering in past the hot exhaust pipes at a tiny little window that is invariably covered in road grime (it IS a touring bike afterall...) is dumb - as is the silly arrangement to add oil through that dippy little hole in the valve cover that is hidden under not one, but two, ceremonial decorative covers.

Thank goodness these bikes seldom use any oil - but still - the mechanical design of many ST features is unforgivably poor, particularly where routine maintenance tasks are concerned.

It seems as though these features were designed on Bring Your Kid to Work Day (by the kids) or after the big Christmas Party bash. Certainly not up to the standards of Honda’s usual clever, elegant design practices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Thanks Chuck. Just did my 600 mile service. Easy as pie. Only complaint is checking front tire pressure. Good night they made that difficult. Kurvy Gurl 83 degree valve stems coming at first tire swap.

Another great thing I've discovered about this bike compared to the ST. Putting it on the center stand. So easy. Guys who think the ST is easy would flip an FJR over backwards using the same amount of effort lol. My ST was a beyotch to heft onto the centerstand, and yes I know the technique having owned 30 street bikes and from working in motorcycle shops for 17 years. I have put thousands of bikes on centerstands. Some bikes are just easier than others. My ST was one of the hardest ones I ever had to hoist up there. When I put it on the centerstand for servicing (the ONLY time it went on the centerstand) I usually solicited my wife's assistance. Don't need her with the FJR. It fairly jumps up on the stand.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Starting to look like a touring bike lol. 3000 miles rolled up now. Pretty nice motorcycle. It got a GPS system and passenger floorboards after this pic.

(PS you guys and this forum are awesome compared to the FJR Forum..thanks goodness Chuck and Rayzerman are over there)

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Is that matte paint? Not for me. How do you even take care of it?
Yea mat paint. I don't really. I ride it. Rather ride than clean. Never have been anal about washing and waxing, I mean why? Since I ride every day,I know sometime in the next couple days after cleaning I'm just going to get caught riding in the rain and it's going to get dirty again. I rode 338 days last year on my ST, I've ridden 197 days so far this year. I do give them a bath in the spring to wash off winter crud and in the fall to wash off summer crud.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Question? I got my FJR in 2013, the first of the Mod 3s and there was a problem with the rear subframe being to weak to support weight . . . mine did crack. Had it welded and installed the "spiffy kit" made by an FJR Forum member and haven't had any problems with it since.

Was this problem resolved in newer models? I'm considering getting a new FJR and if the problem hasn't been addressed will beef up the subframe right after purchase.

Shuey

PS: I really like the matte color. The blue is awesome. I'm holding out a bit to see what the 2019 color will be. :)

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Shuey same subframe. I went with the Givi luggage SR357 (?) rack that is supported and will support 22# rather than bolting to the Yamaha frame which will only hold 13# and still only put light stuff in it, like a thin over shirt, my raingear, maps and my tire repair kit.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Shuey, as he said, same subframe. Best solution is the SR357, although Yamaha makes an expensive optional metal rack.
The matte paint? Just wash it with regular car wash stuff.

Bike
'08 ST1300
--beautiful bikes; but needs tip over protection; see "ChucksKLRST" recent thread in ride reports subforum, post #71 pics;

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Givi 357 here too - with the 47-litre box which is always packed well within the weight limits*.

*for a GMC 1/2 ton

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thanks all for the feedback on the subframe. I was hoping it had . . . been taken care of by now.

Shuey

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
A week ago tomorrow I was down in west Virginia riding with a buddy. he thought we had missed s turn, and pulled into a vicarious spot to turn around.Narrow, gravelly, pot holed and sloping. I looked at the situation as I pulled in, new it was iffy, and determined a Y turn would be my best option, turning right, going slightly uphil, oulling in the clutch, turning the bars and rolling downhill to the left and then straight pulling forward.Done it a hundred times, but this time it was bad idea. When I got the the pulling forward part, my downhill leg was too far from the down hill gravelly surface and I ended up leaning that way, slipping, then falling over on it's right side. 110,000 miles ad never a tip over n the ST. 3500 miles on the FJR and GRUNCH. Bike has minor scratches (a lot of moneys' worth but no functioning problems). I knew I was hurt, wasn't sure how bad, Felt like a possible sprained left wrist at best. Broken maybe the worst. Knew I couldn't go on so headed home. Rode about 200 miles with another hundred to go and the pain became unbearable. I texted my wife and she picked up my son and they met me in Aberdeen Ohio about 40 miles from home. He rode the bike the rest of the way in, she took me to the ER.

Busted radial head in my left elbow is what the xrays revealed. Been a tough week of swelling, hurting in new places (today they drained fluid from my left knee and gave me cortisone shots in both, Plus new meds to deal with the knee pain I have been having. Nice to be able to stand, walk and sit without excruciating pain and the following screaming lol.

anyhow, on the road to recovery, but this will be an opportunity for few you to pass me on the mileage tracker. Otho elbow Doc hopes to have me back riding for my Oct 8 Fall Mens trip ( ironically to W VA this year lol)

proper ER room attire?

oops new baby has some ouchies

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Amazing how quick a good day goes bad. I'm with you on cost, scratches ain't cheap, especially with fancy matt paint.
Heal quick.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That sux!.. at least it wasn't worse.. please heal quickly..

Top Bottom