OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
A Public service Announcement for those of you with The Canyon Cage Pannier Guards on your FJR. Today was the first time I was able to get out in the garage and check out the FJR for any hidden damage from my oops fall down, three and a half weeks ago. As I have posted, I broke / cracked my right Fibula bone on my leg, and twisted my ankle and seriously bruised my right foot. I am now in a walking boot for the next 4 weeks, then more X-Ray. But what I want to discuses is what I found on the bike. I had thought that the canyon cages did there job and there was no damage to the faring or the right pannier. I was correct in that assumption. However I found that the right pannier lid would just barley scrape on the rear guard. I found that the guard mounting flanges were bent. As I was inspecting the bike I also found boot scuff marks on the right exhaust can and exhaust pipe. Looking at my boot, I also had burn / scuff marks on my riding boot. No scuff marks on the rear pannier guard. So how does the guard get bent and boot scuff marks on the exhaust and a broken leg. My hypostasis is that my rights leg / ankle got caught between the exhaust and the right pannier guard. Foot under the exhaust can and leg under the pannier guard, twisting the ankle and putting all the weight of the bike on the Fibula bone. The guards are the Canyon Cage Pannier Guards. They work great if your leg is not caught under them. I have removed mine and don't think I will reinstall them. Here are some pictures of the exhaust and boot.
Image may contain: motorcycle
Image may contain: people sitting, car, motorcycle and outdoor
Image may contain: motorcycle and car
Image may contain: 1 person, car
Image may contain: shoes and boots

https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reaction/profile/browser/?ft_ent_identifier=ZmVlZGJhY2s6Mzg0NDE0Mzk2ODkyOTk5NA%3D%3D&av=100000032866533

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I see this as one of the huge downsides to rear pannier guards. I've had the back of my boot hit them at takeoff at times and it is disconcerting. If, for any reason, your foot comes off the peg in motion you kind of get run over by your own bike (guard).

The other disadvantage is that the guards makes the bike a small bit wider. You don't think about it, but when the guard hits something (garage door frame, car your trying to maneuver around, trash can or lawn mower, it pushes the bike over. Your natural reaction is to fight the force, but you really need to back up.

Rest up and let your body heal! Do your physical therapy to the best of your ability. It will make a huge difference in recover time and resulting abilities. Prayers to you!

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Chuck your broken leg situation sounds very similar to when I broke my leg at the end of November 2019. Albeit a different bike the same situation. Slow speed and my foot and leg got pinched between the pannier, muffler and the ground. Broken fibula at the ankle, dislocated ankle and a lot of soft tissue injury. My bike does not have pannier guards. In my case I think my foot got hooked on the ground as I was going down and got sucked under the pannier and muffler.

Anyway take care do your PT and you will be good in a few weeks.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Chuck, somehow I missed the news you posted above until now. Sorry to hear of it, and I hope you get better quickly! I've become more and more skeptical of roundabouts here, especially given how they're incorporated.

I've been noticing many of the new-fad traffic circles that have been popping up around here are inconsistent. I've seen a wide assortment of shapes of curbing, radius (of the circle), lane widths, signage (of lanes for various joining roads), through-visibility (lack of), slippery painting, bike lanes through them, lack of reflective marking (if not lit at night), and the like, thinking to myself "What are these agencies and engineers thinking?!". I've seen many vehicle impact marks into many of the center islands, inner curbs, and outer curbs. That one in particular in Idaho Springs is odd in how flat it is with low square curbing (maybe an inch to two inches high) that many cars drive over without hindrance. But a bicycle or motorcycle ... yikes.

There are a couple here in Golden that the City installed a few years ago and touted as adding to the ambiance (or other fluffy word) of our City. The City touted the many fine attributes of roundabouts in a mailer (after apparently being questioned and pressed by many citizens and finally their own Fire Department about the design of some of them). The City stated things such as they conform, they're great roundabouts, they provide traffic management (what does that mean on a quiet side street??), they beautify the road and similar blabber. Yet, less than a year later the city engineer posted a new study by a roadway design firm of our traffic circles and the ones in question--in the interest of justifying more spend. The study confirmed the design of the ones in question (and others) doesn't meet code for Emergency or Fire service vehicles (and other larger road-legal vehicles or towed trailers), that there have been an unusual number of single-vehicle accidents at a couple of them, and they require rebuild. Duh. Straighten them back out to 4-way stops like they were before you wasted our money!

I've become against the idea of them now, because they're not done well enough or consistent. Sorry you got caught by another example of that! Heal quick...

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Thanks BakerBoy. Hope you are doing fine. When are you going to get back into Riding again?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
What brand are they?. Thanks
These were made by Kemi Moto I got them on Amazon for $29. But they also had some by Kolpin I have used in the past. I think the Kolpins were a little thicker but were also a little larger. These have a velcro area for the mirrors if you have them on the handlebars so figured I could also use them on my CB 1100 if I wanted to.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
2014. Replaced the silver side panels to red and powder coated the hideous black wheels to silver. Staintune cans.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I like the top/bottom better because it protects the lid where I am most likely to scratch it with my boot.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Lights from the Super Ten next.

20201031_140726.jpg
I changed my mind on the 2 RI pods... I moved them to under the headlight and didn't like that either...

IMG_20201117_153111.jpg

so I pulled out an old light bar I had and used that instead. The oem high beam on the tracer is actually much better than I ever expected considering it's just the one light but it just needs a little help to be a bit brighter so this light bar should do the trick. It has a top hat shaped beam which should be perfect.

IMG_20201120_050639.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I also got some Givi Dolimiti side cases which should be a much better option. Still waiting on the mounting racks to show up and will post pics then.

IMG_20201121_054023.jpgIMG_20201121_054041.jpgIMG_20201121_054051.jpgIMG_20201121_054111.jpg

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I rode over to Levelland for some pastry. Remind me to shift out of forth.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The FJR (and the others) have now sat motionless for almost 7 weeks waiting for my leg to heal. I did touch up the scraped engine guard, replace the slider puck and wipe the dust off the bike(s). Other than that nothing has been done to my Yamaha (or Suzuki, or the two Kawasaki's) I am beginning to go stir crazy. I can't even drive my truck. The wife has to chauffeur me around to my Dr. appointments.

Top Bottom