New ones needed?

Nah, those are fine- only at the wear bars. Why waste good rubber? Wait until they are like this!

1626539683756.png

Nah, those are fine- only at the wear bars. Why waste good rubber? Wait until they are like this!

1626539683756.png

Or this…a little friction graining toward the edges, but other than that…..:thumb:

7528EE9E-AA76-4855-846E-4A3321542119.jpeg

I got rescued off the mountain.

Last edited:
You guys run them down pretty hard. I usually replace at 2/32, so in general there’s still some tread pattern present. I never brought them down to the cords.

I would never take tires down that far, unless I were on my way home from an extended trip. Our Highlander has 3 to 4/32" of tread left - not measured over the wear bars. Two weeks ago, I hydroplaned twice on the freeway in a downpour. Easy to back off the speed in a car, not so on a bike.

I would never take tires down that far, unless I were on my way home from an extended trip. Our Highlander has 3 to 4/32" of tread left - not measured over the wear bars. Two weeks ago, I hydroplaned twice on the freeway in a downpour. Easy to back off the speed in a car, not so on a bike.

which is why I called my wife to bring a trailer. There was no way I was going to ride her home. Wasn’t bad at all when I left home, but went down very fast when I started carving VNC mountain roads.

Bikes aren’t prone to hydroplane in conditions that a car or SUV might. The shape of the contact patches is dramatically different. Still, so far I’ve never worn a bike tire bald for fear of riding one in the rain. The wear bars give plenty of warning.

Bikes aren’t prone to hydroplane in conditions that a car or SUV might. The shape of the contact patches is dramatically different. Still, so far I’ve never worn a bike tire bald for fear of riding one in the rain. The wear bars give plenty of warning.
I understand that, and while I certainly slow down on the bike in rain and ride in car's wipes, I would feel VERY uncomfortable knowing I was a 32nd or two above the wear bars. And it seems I only get caught in frog chokers, never just a lite rain. And it is clear to me that the reason I hydroplaned in the car was because I (and traffic) was going too fast for conditions.

Back
Top Bottom