Looking for John O

The site will not let me message John.

Hi John,
I recently got a 1993 st1100. The alternator is not charging, I have used a multimeter and I am not getting any power out of it on any wire. I now have the bike tore down, and everyone has said go towards you in trying to source one.... I dont know that I need a 40 amp upgrade since I dont use heated gear or extra lights. Maybe if you had a used OE one we could go that route... thanks in advance.

Now that you have a few posts, I thought you "should" be able to Message folks here.
I bet after 24 hours, you will be able to .
Welcome in! Seems you know @JohnOosterhuis already?

John has Conversations here disabled for everyone. You can contact him at the email address in this thread over on st-riders.net... http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

Also, there's this thread on the 40A upgrade.... http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942.0

And, there's the kit mentioned in this article under the Alternator section...

Thank you all for the replies. I am not even sure what I have, i believe it's the 28 amp because it has 3 yellow wires coming out and another harness with 2 wires coming out. They head into a regulator/rectifier. Any leads would be greatly appreciated

Thank you all for the replies. I am not even sure what I have, i believe it's the 28 amp because it has 3 yellow wires coming out and another harness with 2 wires coming out. They head into a regulator/rectifier. Any leads would be greatly appreciated
The 28A is oil cooled and the 40A is air cooled, the casing difference is very obvious...
1627069570382.png

Read though the article I linked above for more ST1100 info.

Good to know.
Guess that means he doesn't have a [insert favorite color here] Courtesy Phone, either, then? :rofl1:
Well, I've talked to him on the phone a couple of times and he was more than willing to help with some good advice during my timing belt replacement. :thumb:

I def
The 28A is oil cooled and the 40A is air cooled, the casing difference is very obvious...
View attachment 278974

Read though the article I linked above for more ST1100 info.
I definitely have the 28A. I know they are not available anymore, but does anyone have one? Every search I do brings up the 40amp

I def

I definitely have the 28A. I know they are not available anymore, but does anyone have one? Every search I do brings up the 40amp
Not that I'm aware of. :(

Not much chance of finding a "new in the box" 28 amp unit, so all you might find is used and that would just be like playing Russian roulette on when it is going to go south too. There is a fellow on this forum who has made pattern parts for the 40 amp alt base and a Chinese made alternator is also available at about half the cost of the OEM part. Maybe look in the Vendors section of this forum for the base part. Haven't heard a bad report on the Chinese alternator already installed by some here also.

Not much chance of finding a "new in the box" 28 amp unit, so all you might find is used and that would just be like playing Russian roulette on when it is going to go south too. There is a fellow on this forum who has made pattern parts for the 40 amp alt base and a Chinese made alternator is also available at about half the cost of the OEM part. Maybe look in the Vendors section of this forum for the base part. Haven't heard a bad report on the Chinese alternator already installed by some here also.
Thank you. It was something I was hoping to have fixed within a couple days, but apparently it's goingto be awhile.... any idea on what guy to talk to about this to get "one stop shop"?

any idea on what guy to talk to about this to get "one stop shop"?

Look up Kiltman on this forum. I believe he has bought the 40 amp unit and possibly the base plate too. Those are all you need for the conversion, as some of the OEM 28 amp parts are transferred to the 40 amp unit. Getting the kit from John O. will make the job easier too, as it has the Lewis pin needed to align the alternator gears for insertion.

Thank you. It was something I was hoping to have fixed within a couple days, but apparently it's goingto be awhile.... any idea on what guy to talk to about this to get "one stop shop"?
Look at my first post in this thread. There's an article I linked with a link to the kit in the Alternator section. The kit has the baseplate and tools, but not the actual 40A alternator, which can be sourced separately. Good luck with this, it's not an easy job from what I hear.

Here ya go...

I like the idea of the whole kit, especially from someone who has done the job. Now I just have to nail down what alternator is best

I just called my local honda store and they said they could have me an oem in 2-3 weeks... but its pricey

I def

put a 28a in and it will be doomed to fail. I even doubt if you could find one in good condition. Cases corrode , they start leaking oil put the upgrade in and it's over. Too much work to do it again.

Top Bottom