Looking for John O

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I think everyone is going away from the 28 due to the lack of new ones and a used one is a crap shoot. Also the price, at one point, was about the same. Good lock on your project!!

Think you will have it in time to go to WESTOC in Park City?

OP
OP
I think everyone is going away from the 28 due to the lack of new ones and a used one is a crap shoot. Also the price, at one point, was about the same. Good lock on your project!!

Think you will have it in time to go to WESTOC in Park City?

I am hoping to have it done soon, but it looks like it could be awhile.... I have the whole back of the bike torn apart so I can access it and now I dont have parts... i know everyone is saying buy one onEbay, but what one? As far as alternator goes... i found the kit thanks to above posts.,

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
JuST checking in tonight to find this thread. All the info needed has already been given and/or linked to in the replies above. Good luck.

Regards, John

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'd maybe change the title of the post to reflect this is a 40A upgrade as the subject so you may get more looks when you're asking questions about this moving forward. I have not done this work, but it would seem a 28A replacement, assuming you could even find one, would be easiest. However, and this is just my opinion, I'd move on to a 40A (even if you don't need the extra power) and ask for help with the process.

I'd secure all of the parts as outlined in the provided links (some must be acquired, some are already part of the 28A system), see if there is anyone local to you who might be able to help you through the install, borrow the install kit made available to members and understand the tools, go for it. And ask questions when you aren't sure of the next move as you proceed. You'll get better answers to specific questions.

If your current unit is dead, you're sort of stuck for now no matter what you decide to do.

OP
OP
I'd maybe change the title of the post to reflect this is a 40A upgrade as the subject so you may get more looks when you're asking questions about this moving forward. I have not done this work, but it would seem a 28A replacement, assuming you could even find one, would be easiest. However, and this is just my opinion, I'd move on to a 40A (even if you don't need the extra power) and ask for help with the process.

I'd secure all of the parts as outlined in the provided links (some must be acquired, some are already part of the 28A system), see if there is anyone local to you who might be able to help you through the install, borrow the install kit made available to members and understand the tools, go for it. And ask questions when you aren't sure of the next move as you proceed. You'll get better answers to specific questions.

If your current unit is dead, you're sort of stuck for now no matter what you decide to do.
Agreed and appreciated. I have decided to go with the 40amp upgrade. Just gotta find the right alternator for it. Does anybody know anyone around the utah or western Colorado area that has done this and feels comfortable doing it again?

Top Bottom