Madstad curious?

I'm sure the MadStad staff will take care of you. Too bad they "updated" the product as it was fine on my older unit. I've been to the shop 3 times having units mounted for "No Charge" in person and they are a busy shop with some great staff and very - very busy due to Covid-19 and all the custom work they have been doing with "Covid Shields" for stores, banks, and so on. They do a lot of Clear protective Shield type items for all types of things. The owner and other staff members have bikes as well.

I sent them an email letting them know I can bring a ST1100 if they need one to check the fit.

Last edited:
Nice to know there are still some businesses that will actually DO something in order to provide customer service.
For many, it's just a meaningless catch-phrase.

Yea, its refreshing to know these guys arent shirking their responsibilities. Ive talked w them a few times, at length, and they have been totaly honest as far as i can see. I ordered my shield yesterday.

I'm sure the MadStad staff will take care of you. Too bad they "updated" the product as it was fine on my older unit. I've been to the shop 3 times having units mounted for "No Charge" in person and they are a busy shop with some great staff and very - very busy due to Covid-19 and all the custom work they have been doing with "Covid Shields" for stores, banks, and so on. They do a lot of Clear protective Shield type items for all types of things. The owner and other staff members have bikes as well.

I sent them an email letting them know I can bring a ST1100 if they need one to check the fit.

Thats pretty cool of you. We future shield owners appreciate it!

Here is the email I got from Madstad yesterday:

Hi Robert,
Sorry for the delay.
We did a mock up of the adapter plate, brackets, and shield and saw the flaws that needed to be addressed.
We are going to send you the brackets (slightly different bend), shield (correct hole pattern software),
and adapter plate (different bend). We're also going to fit them here before sending them out.
I believe they should be shipped out today or tomorrow.
Thanks, Dan

So it looks like they are doing all they can to make it right. Will update when it arrives.

RT

Last edited:
Here is the email I got from Madstad yesterday:

Hi Robert,
Sorry for the delay.
We did a mock up of the adapter plate, brackets, and shield and saw the flaws that needed to be addressed.
We are going to send you the brackets (slightly different bend), shield (correct hole pattern software),
and adapter plate (different bend). We're also going to fit them here before sending them out.
I believe they should be shipped out today or tomorrow.
Thanks, Dan

So it looks like they are doing all they can to make it right. Will update when it arrives.

RT
This is good! I pulled the trigger last week. My thanks to you guys for being the unwilling ( and all of us unknowing) sufferers. I hope everyone is satisfied, including mastad. They seem like good fellas. Now, all we need is something that stops hail!

Well, i got the shield on after a fee tries. No instructions. The brackets to the shield are over bent, which makes me concerned The screw holes thru the shield are too close and i had to force it on.
Fristrating.
I wonder if this will hold up at 80 mph.
Im gonna take it for a spin and see how it works. B3FED388-49FA-4A8C-AE39-4B6C9573F46D.jpeg4FF9DD9E-1B6F-462D-8991-DEBCBA5A96B2.jpegECF105DD-25A1-4F5D-919B-B78131E9A9A8.jpeg92856AFD-B9D6-47B4-98FB-6706C82EBEF7.jpeg

So when did you receive your kit? Did the base plate go on fairly easily? That was one of the problems I had with the one they sent along with the brackets being way out of alignment.

I'm still waiting for them to send out a replacement for mine.

How did the ride go?

So when did you receive your kit? Did the base plate go on fairly easily? That was one of the problems I had with the one they sent along with the brackets being way out of alignment.

I'm still waiting for them to send out a replacement for mine.

How did the ride go?

5DCD7B85-DF12-49F9-BD58-195C98AA00EA.jpegIf u sit on the bike, the right base is off a bit. I can live w that
The brackets are way overbent tho. I have to have them send me new windshield brackets and rubbers.. Very depressing.
took the ride and had to retighten the shield screws
Their consistency is poor on the brackets. The right one is so overbent, I could almost stick my baby finger in between the shield screw rubbers look ruined already.
When I got off the interstate, the shield screws were loose. I really don't like loc tite. My honda aint a harley!

I have 11 days of painter hell coming up and really don't need this now. Still have to go to new hampshire for tires and pads too. I wanted to leave before the 15th and might have to use the clear vue shield.

So, what do I think? It's a good setup and idea. the interstate was nice with it. It's so different than my clear vu. Shorter! Someone there isn't checking on their bender. They must have some paperwork there that tells them how many degrees something should be.

I'm thinking that if I can get the bracket bends right and line up the shield holes, which are off just a hair, I might dip the bracket holes in some liquid rubber and install stainless locking nuts and bolts. Don't tell anyone, but I've been known to speed a bit! I need this thing totally safe and think those rubber shield attachments could be vastly improved.
Here is a funny but true! On my first tour, my kid's dog ate my dentures. I looked like a homeless dude for two months when I got back home waiting for the replacements! Would be a shame to have my windshield do that on this tour!

Last edited:
I don't think they know what the heck they are doing. There, I said it. They had me install the aluminum base and take pics to show how out of shape it is. Did the same for the brackets.

I'm to the point where I'm just going to tweak the base plate and brackets myself. It pisses me off that I purchased a system the is supposed to bolt one and simply work.

This isn't rocket science. Put the plate on a buck and mallet the think to shape. Same with the brackets. Easy, done stuff like this many, many times. But for $300, I damned sure shouldn't have to. If they refunded half my coin, I'd be good, just figure I paid for parts that got me close. I may just ask for that.

I'm on vacation for a week, when I get back if they haven't resolved the issue I'm fixing it myself.

RT

I was going to ride over (75 miles) and pick mine up. Install it in the parking lot and check it out on my homeward trip. After reading the horror stories here, I decided to drive. Took the kit home and installed the next day. It didn't look like it would fit. I installed the base plate by snugging the 2 screws in on one side and then the other side. I held the plate in place with one hand and tightened the screws with the other. The bottom screw lined up and was installed. Then all the screws were tightened. The plate didn't fit perfect like the Honda stock shield but it never worked for me so I don't care how well it fit. The plate fit as well as my 2 Rifle shields do and have been using them for about 20 years. My Clearview isn't a perfect fit either. Maybe I'm not a perfectionist. I installed the shield the same way, one side then the other. I held the windshield in place with one hand and tightened the screw with the other. I didn't have instructions but it didn't seem like rocket science to me or my mechanical background helped. I put the well nuts in the bracket and the thick washers on the inside of the windshield. I put the thin plastic washers under the screw head. The windshield is a nice piece. Crystal clear without distortions you get in a lot of shields.

I rode around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes stopping and adjusting the height and angle. I ran it up to about 60mph and was satisfied with the adjustments. I had good wind deflection. Tomorrow I'll be out on the highway and will run it on up to higher speeds.

Right now, I am satisfied with my purchase.

Stedy-I suggest loosening the screws 1 at a time and pushing the well nuts all the way down into the bracket. Then tighten the screw while pushing down on the shield to hold the well nut in place.

Last edited:
I was going to ride over (75 miles) and pick mine up. Install it in the parking lot and check it out on my homeward trip. After reading the horror stories here, I decided to drive. Took the kit home and installed the next day. It didn't look like it would fit. I installed the base plate by snugging the 2 screws in on one side and then the other side. I held the plate in place with one hand and tightened the screws with the other. The bottom screw lined up and was installed. Then all the screws were tightened. The plate didn't fit perfect like the Honda stock shield but it never worked for me so I don't care how well it fit. The plate fit as well as my 2 Rifle shields do and have been using them for about 20 years. My Clearview isn't a perfect fit either. Maybe I'm not a perfectionist. I installed the shield the same way, one side then the other. I held the windshield in place with one hand and tightened the screw with the other. I didn't have instructions but it didn't seem like rocket science to me or my mechanical background helped. I put the well nuts in the bracket and the thick washers on the inside of the windshield. I put the thin plastic washers under the screw head. The windshield is a nice piece. Crystal clear without distortions you get in a lot of shields.

I rode around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes stopping and adjusting the height and angle. I ran it up to about 60mph and was satisfied with the adjustments. I had good wind deflection. Tomorrow I'll be out on the highway and will run it on up to higher speeds.

Right now, I am satisfied with my purchase.

Stedy-I suggest loosening the screws 1 at a time and pushing the well nuts all the way down into the bracket. Then tighten the screw while pushing down on the shield to hold the well nut in place.

I agree with all you say. But the aluminum plate is way off on mine, you ain't tweaking it to fit. As are the brackets, worse than Stedys. I'm not an idiot, I have fabrication skills, hell, I've got a shop at my disposal. What I don't have is time. I certainly don't have the time to produce parts as nicely made as the Madstad stuff. And that's the rub. It's all quite nicely done, it just isn't done correctly. They took the time to make the bends, but the angles are wrong. Here, look at mine.

RT
IMG_20210730_064815373.jpgIMG_20210730_064809609.jpgIMG_20210730_063739405_HDR.jpgIMG_20210730_063732221_HDR.jpgIMG_20210730_063724730.jpgIMG_20210730_063702373.jpgIMG_20210730_063708658.jpg

I agree with all you say. But the aluminum plate is way off on mine, you ain't tweaking it to fit. As are the brackets, worse than Stedys. I'm not an idiot, I have fabrication skills, hell, I've got a shop at my disposal. What I don't have is time. I certainly don't have the time to produce parts as nicely made as the Madstad stuff. And that's the rub. It's all quite nicely done, it just isn't done correctly. They took the time to make the bends, but the angles are wrong. Here, look at mine.

RT
View attachment 279394View attachment 279395View attachment 279396View attachment 279397View attachment 279398View attachment 279399View attachment 279400
If u sit on the bike, the base is off a bit. I can live w that
The brackets are way overbent tho. I have to have them send me new windshield brackets. Very depressing.
took the ride and had to retighten the shield screws.

They shat the bed on yours for sure! I see i installed the thick rubber pads in the wrong place. I sent them emails od their bad bends. I feel bad for you.

If u sit on the bike, the base is off a bit. I can live w that
The brackets are way overbent tho. I have to have them send me new windshield brackets. Very depressing.
took the ride and had to retighten the shield screws.

They shat the bed on yours for sure! I see i installed the thick rubber pads in the wrong place. I sent them emails od their bad bends. I feel bad for you.

Ha! Don't feel bad, it's well within my skills to fix it. But it will take a couple hours of trial and error to get the bends corrected. Given what I paid, that's not acceptable. My biggest issue is finding the time to deal with it. When I get back....

RT

Ha! Don't feel bad, it's well within my skills to fix it. But it will take a couple hours of trial and error to get the bends corrected. Given what I paid, that's not acceptable. My biggest issue is finding the time to deal with it. When I get back....

RT

I relate! I had that thing on and off a bunch of times yesterday.

We shall see! Dan was gone for a few days and i sent pics of my shield. Just got a email that new brackets are on the way. I still doubt ill use the shield for the trip. So, lets see how these brackets fit.

Back
Top Bottom