Madstad curious?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I finally got out for a ride. I am happy with everything except for one thing. When I hit 65MPH I get a continued "zing" sound. It continues up to about 75 MPH. I pushed, held and shoved around on the screen and brackets. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. For now, I'll accept it as a speeding warning. :biggrin: I'll see if I can hear it with ear plugs next ride. Kinda like putting a piece of black tape over a "check engine" light. ;)

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Madstad arrived yesterday, installed and tested today. A huge improvement, essentially no buffeting now. The only odd thing is the air on the sides of the windshield is disturbed, and as it passes my upper arms, it causes the Stich to flap like a flag in a stiff breeze. Now if I pull my arms in just slightly, or push them out it stops. This isn't a knock on Madstad, just specific to my build, where I sit on the bike, etc. It's not even bad with just a mesh jacket. The solution will be to knock 2 inches off each side of the windshield. It is rather wide, much wider than the stock setup to be sure. Additionally, when tilted all the way back there is a nice clean stream of air that hits about mid helmet. Note, the air is clean not turbulent, so it cools but doesn't buffet. Bottom line, the Madstad works. RTIMG_20210825_071206029.jpg

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Madstad arrived yesterday, installed and tested today. A huge improvement, essentially no buffeting now. The only odd thing is the air on the sides of the windshield is disturbed, and as it passes my upper arms, it causes the Stich to flap like a flag in a stiff breeze. Now if I pull my arms in just slightly, or push them out it stops. This isn't a knock on Madstad, just specific to my build, where I sit on the bike, etc. It's not even bad with just a mesh jacket. The solution will be to knock 2 inches off each side of the windshield. It is rather wide, much wider than the stock setup to be sure. Additionally, when tilted all the way back there is a nice clean stream of air that hits about mid helmet. Note, the air is clean not turbulent, so it cools but doesn't buffet. Bottom line, the Madstad works. RTIMG_20210825_071206029.jpg
Im. Apparently, smaller than you. I dont get the turbulence at all. I ride with it up and out mostly, but having it down a bit on hot days has been a gift. Much better than stock or my clierview.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Im. Apparently, smaller than you. I dont get the turbulence at all. I ride with it up and out mostly, but having it down a bit on hot days has been a gift. Much better than stock or my clierview.
Yeah, I'm 6ft, 250, and wear a 50 coat, so my arms are out there a bit. It's much better than stock with a Laminar Lip and the big Clearview that came on the bike. Already cut the sides down, the windshield is like a barn door as delivered.

RT

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Yeah, I'm 6ft, 250, and wear a 50 coat, so my arms are out there a bit. It's much better than stock with a Laminar Lip and the big Clearview that came on the bike. Already cut the sides down, the windshield is like a barn door as delivered.

RT
I get your size when im pissed off! Otherwise, im a midget.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
OK, so I knocked 2" off each side of the windshield. The flapping sleeve material issue is gone. I want to make something clear. The way I have this setup now provides a lot more airflow to me. This is exactly what I wanted, a setup that cools well in summer heat, but without buffeting. However guessing it will be colder in winter for sure. Going back to a full width shield, possibly a bit taller may work then. Or I may simply run the stock shield/Laminar Lip combo for the cold rides. I'll have to experiment.

RTIMG_20210826_164245660_HDR.jpg

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I finally got out for a ride. I am happy with everything except for one thing. When I hit 65MPH I get a continued "zing" sound. It continues up to about 75 MPH. I pushed, held and shoved around on the screen and brackets. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. For now, I'll accept it as a speeding warning. :biggrin: I'll see if I can hear it with ear plugs next ride. Kinda like putting a piece of black tape over a "check engine" light. ;)
After I cut down the windshield, and angled it back there was a pretty loud whistle that started @50mph and didn't seem to stop. It's coming from the slots in the brackets. When I covered the slots with tape the whistle went away maybe that's the zing noise you describe?

RT

Top Bottom