Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Nice pics, @Stedy.
I followed 101 South from Crescent City, OR a month ago. Rt.199 from Grant's Pass.
it was a nice ride to there, and the views as I went South were wonderful.

I was hotel camping on my trip.
I did pack camping gear, Just-In-Case, but never used it.
I'd stop for gas at the end of the day, dial up Google Maps, and they would list hotels close by.
I usually found a hotel within 2 phone calls.
When I met up with @SupraSabre for a ride through Zion, he suggested using Hotels.com. I did, but usually as I approached the end of my day.

Regards,
Steve

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Yea
Nice pics, @Stedy.
I followed 101 South from Crescent City, OR a month ago. Rt.199 from Grant's Pass.
it was a nice ride to there, and the views as I went South were wonderful.

I was hotel camping on my trip.
I did pack camping gear, Just-In-Case, but never used it.
I'd stop for gas at the end of the day, dial up Google Maps, and they would list hotels close by.
I usually found a hotel within 2 phone calls.
When I met up with @SupraSabre for a ride through Zion, he suggested using Hotels.com. I did, but usually as I approached the end of my day.

Regards,
Steve
, im in and heading towards rhe high rent district and am not sure i want to do it. Im now in the redwood forest area and its $40 to camp. Thinking about what to do next. Almost sure im gonna spend another night here and tour the trees, but after that im not sure.
i use hotwire when i motel. They are pretty good. Priceline screwed me up last spring tour and i have not gotten over it yet.
im shocked at how so many things cost so much more.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
You are lucky if you can find a campsite at all until after labor day. Schools are still closed out there. It gets worse the further south you go. I would suggest continuing south on Highway 1 to Ft. Bragg, then take highway 20 east. That will take you up into the Sierra foothills and connect with interstate 80 east of Grass Valley. The alternative would be to take highway 49 south out of grass valley to Oakhurst, some really good riding and quaint little towns, then make your way to Bakersfield via highway 41 and 99, then pick up 58 over to Barstow, there you can pick up interstate 40 and some pieces of old 66. Keep in mind the desert will be hot this time of year, the best riding in the desert is at night.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Its around 5:00 am. Its still dark and the campsite is silent. Im having my first cuppa and looking at my paper maps. Ive come to enjoy these dark, quiet mornings a lot! Why? I really dont know. I stink and need a laundro pretty bad and have to care for these things today.
as i said, im looking at my maps and discovered this tree covered, low priced gas run i want to make! The lonliest highway! Yum! I believe ive bit down pretty hard on this. I discovered that not only does it cross nevada, but it also runs a long way into Utah as well.
People always ask me if im lonely as i travel around. Its the second most asked question, after “ did you really ride that thing from Massachusetts”? I think this highway should open up a big can of lonely!

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
You are lucky if you can find a campsite at all until after labor day. Schools are still closed out there. It gets worse the further south you go. I would suggest continuing south on Highway 1 to Ft. Bragg, then take highway 20 east. That will take you up into the Sierra foothills and connect with interstate 80 east of Grass Valley. The alternative would be to take highway 49 south out of grass valley to Oakhurst, some really good riding and quaint little towns, then make your way to Bakersfield via highway 41 and 99, then pick up 58 over to Barstow, there you can pick up interstate 40 and some pieces of old 66. Keep in mind the desert will be hot this time of year, the best riding in the desert is at night.
Im gonna take your advice to fort bragg then head east. Thanks for the assistance.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It's still dark and you're looking at maps.
I never learned how to do that.
Now, I can make coffee in the dark, and do some things in the dark, just can't read maps.
Have a great day.
And don't worry, your stinkiness doesn't bother me one bit.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
It's still dark and you're looking at maps.
I never learned how to do that.
Now, I can make coffee in the dark, and do some things in the dark, just can't read maps.
Have a great day.
And don't worry, your stinkiness doesn't bother me one bit.
I posess mystical powers! I use my “inner light”! For example, another day without a shower might make you reconsider my odiferous reach!

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Im gonna take your advice to fort bragg then head east. Thanks for the assistance.
If you want to get on highway 50, take I80 to Fernley, NV., then take alt 50 to Fallon where you can pick up 50 headed east. Keep in mind gas stations are far and few between on Hiway 50. Great Basin national park is worth a visit just east of Ely, the cavern tour is great and there is good camping there. Hiway 50 is closed just west of Myers, (S. Lake Tahoe), due to the Calder fire, so you may encounter some smoke.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
If you want to get on highway 50, take I80 to Fernley, NV., then take alt 50 to Fallon where you can pick up 50 headed east. Keep in mind gas stations are far and few between on Hiway 50. Great Basin national park is worth a visit just east of Ely, the cavern tour is great and there is good camping there. Hiway 50 is closed just west of Myers, (S. Lake Tahoe), due to the Calder fire, so you may encounter some smoke.
Thanks! I suffered thru 500 mi of rain thru galcier and west. In the end, it was good because it damped the smoke down thru washington. Yesterday, i thought i saw smoke but it was the mist off the pacific. It tasted great and smelled wonderful. So, ive been lucky w the smoke and fires!
many than yous for thetips!
yea, i looked at gas stations. I guess $4.75 a gal is gonna look cheap now! Crazy prices! I can get a comfy 250 out of a tank riding in my traditionally unthrifty manner. Ill hitevery station i see.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Hwy50 through Nevada is pretty barren and lonely for sure. Make sure you fill up at any gas station and pack lots of water. There is a military base there and that will break the monotony if active. I like old school maps too even though I have a GPS. Good luck today.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hwy50 through Nevada is pretty barren and lonely for sure. Make sure you fill up at any gas station and pack lots of water. There is a military base there and that will break the monotony if active. I like old school maps too even though I have a GPS. Good luck today.
Yea, for the first time, i brought paper maps! Makes a huge diff.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hells bells! I run google, waze and garmin. They dont give the overview a paper map gives.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I thought of running 50 thru NV.
But even before I got to it.....realized I would end up being a hood ornament on somebody's grill!!!
Hot and booorrrrring don't make for a good ride.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I thought of running 50 thru NV.
But even before I got to it.....realized I would end up being a hood ornament on somebody's grill!!!
Hot and booorrrrring don't make for a good ride.
You have to try it once. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. But it was hot.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
If it fits in your route heading east, Highway 88 is double-plus amazing and I think it's open. Hwy 50 is also fantastic but closed last I looked. I did 88 and then 50 through NV in June.
Hwy 88 is amazeballs when you're at elevation. There's a small general market at the Kirkwood ski resort if you need something. Hwy 50 has some seriously pretty sections, but yeah, a whole lot of nothing resembling civilization for much of it - gas up in Ely or at the NV/UT border. I got to Delta, UT late on a Sunday and was forced to buy McD's, so not my fondest memory, but still, I was out exploring places I'd never been..

Top Bottom