St1100 Full Restoration Rebuild

Hello all,

Apologies for posting this here. I did several general searches and came up blank.

Would someone please point me in the direction of any articles for a full restoration of the ST1100?

I've recently 'inherited! my Dad's tools and just acquired a ST1100 bare frame and engine.
My plan is to strip the frame to bare metal and rebuild it like new, bolt by bolt, piece by piece as the ST1100 was my Dad's favourite bike.

I've watched all the restoration videos on YouTube that I could find but most don't seem to go into a lot of detail.

If anyone is aware of the pitfalls to avoid such as the various differences between the abs and non abs models, etc. Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Phil

I hope you h
Hello all,

Apologies for posting this here. I did several general searches and came up blank.

Would someone please point me in the direction of any articles for a full restoration of the ST1100?

I've recently 'inherited! my Dad's tools and just acquired a ST1100 bare frame and engine.
My plan is to strip the frame to bare metal and rebuild it like new, bolt by bolt, piece by piece as the ST1100 was my Dad's favourite bike.

I've watched all the restoration videos on YouTube that I could find but most don't seem to go into a lot of detail.

If anyone is aware of the pitfalls to avoid such as the various differences between the abs and non abs models, etc. Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Phil
I hope you have the tupperware. It's hard to find.

I don't know if I've seen documentation on a full rebuild. Likely rebuild of the bits 'n pieces on this site will encompass a complete restoration. Just use the 'Search'...top right of this page and see what you can find. Several of us have done frame-up restorations and are likely to give you more help than you need. Just ask.

Welcome. You will have a wonderful project and a fine bike in the end. What year is your bike. There are subtle differences, also there are two generations of the ABS system, knowing which one will also aid in the restoration

Hi all,

Thank you for the warm welcome and immediate response.

I have most of the tupperware sourced already.

Thanks oldbikefixr, that's a good alternative if there isn't a full restoration article created. I'll take loads of pictures as I go and may do a write up.

Thanks Kiltman, my existing Pan is a 2000 bit the project frame is a T reg. Am guessing it's 1995 or so. Apologies, I didn't grow up in the U.K. so all I know is that its old. Lol

The guy who sold the frame said it was a non abs model but when he sent me the electronic proof that it had been transferred into my name it was showing as ST1100 A?

Was wanting a non abs version for a less complex build.

Wow! That will be a project! As long as you have time and all the parts, it may be a nice ride for you ultimately.
Good luck!

Also, do the timing belt and other services with the engine uninstalled. Will make life easier.

What year is your engine? Is it a ‘95 as well? Look at the rear of the engine and find the alternator. If it has vents and looks like a automotive alternator it will be a 40 amper. If it’s sealed then more than likely the engine is pre 1996. That alternator will need to be upgraded to the 40 amp unit.
if you need to replace the water pump that may also be an issue although you can get a bearing kit that will also work depending on the condition

Thanks Erdoc,

The engine will be painstakingly reduced to its last bolt and the tolerances checked as I go. It will get all new bearings, journals, timing belt, water pump, etc as she goes back together.

Thanks for the info Kiltman.

Am not sure what year the engine is, although it came from the same person and at the same time as the frame.

Unfortunately the alternator was not included with the engine when bought.

Will check the engine code in the Haynes manual when I get home.

Wasn't there a guy in the middle east, or somewhere near there, who did a full strip down and rebuild of his 1100, along with hundreds of pictures? Can't, for the life of me, remember his username. Great series. After the project was done I don't think he ever posted again.

Above aside, ST-Riders is a great source of 1100 info as well.

Thanks Kiltman,

I've got the Shop Manual.

Thanks restored,

I'll take a look at STRiders too.

Here ya go, the fellow was in Turkey.

I wanted a non abs frame but have ended up with an abs one. Is it possible to build a non abs bike on an abs frame?

Do I just buy all abs spec parts (forks, driveshaft, etc?) and just fit non abs brakes and pipework?

I really don't want to be faffing with the sbs modulators and extra brake lines if it's not necessary.

Phil, Hi, there were changes from 96 on which will make a difference I think.
If yours is T reg it might be a 99. On the frame cross bar under the seat there may still be a model code, for instance mine is a ST1100 W. Meaning a 98 on an S plate. You will probably need to know this but the frame number should also give you a date of manufacturer. Before ordering or doing anything I would want to know the year and model designation. I'm trying to think if a A designation was used for a year just like the W. But someone will know that and if so it could be a year designation and not ABS.
The wheels will tell you the difference anyway, if you've got any of course.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

I wanted a non abs frame but have ended up with an abs one. Is it possible to build a non abs bike on an abs frame?

Do I just buy all abs spec parts (forks, driveshaft, etc?) and just fit non abs brakes and pipework?

I really don't want to be faffing with the sbs modulators and extra brake lines if it's not necessary.
You should be ok, on an ABS frame they’ve added mounting hardware for the extra brake lines alongside the standard. You will have an option to mount the coolant reservoir to a front location instead of the rear. ( the rear mounts are still there). On the swingarm there are extra clips for brake lines and a mount for the ABS speed sensor just ignore that.

From what I've managed to find so far the 11 never had an A identity other than ABS. So if it's ST1100 A it'll be ABS, maybe the 13 had an A identity or maybe I'm dreamin.
The forks were different on ABS post 96 I think and the rear shock. Maybe the front mudguard too.
Upt'North.

Phil, Hi, there were changes from 96 on which will make a difference I think.
If yours is T reg it might be a 99. On the frame cross bar under the seat there may still be a model code, for instance mine is a ST1100 W. Meaning a 98 on an S plate. You will probably need to know this but the frame number should also give you a date of manufacturer. Before ordering or doing anything I would want to know the year and model designation. I'm trying to think if a A designation was used for a year just like the W. But someone will know that and if so it could be a year designation and not ABS.
The wheels will tell you the difference anyway, if you've got any of course.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Hi UpNorth,

Thanks for the information and advice. It's dawned on me that perhaps more research on my part should have been done prior to choosing a frame. I saw a tidy frame online 8n Hampshire with virtually no rust and couldn't resist. Lol

If it has to remain fully abs, c'est la vie.

Will definitely take your advice and not get any parts until checking the frame number and the designation below the seat you mentioned.

No wheels as yet. Just the frame and an engine.

Top Bottom