St1100 Full Restoration Rebuild

OP
OP
Phil1164
Just curious - how many years are you budgeting for this project ? Any chance after 2 or 3 years you may decide not to finish the job ? If so, that would be 2 or 3 years of effort basically wasted. Not to throw water on this, but something to think about, IMHO.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your questions. Both time scale and budget are mission critical for any project and need to be addressed before its underway.

To answer your questions my Dad isn't likely to have 2 or 3 years left so my time scale is ASAP. I'm not putting extra pressure on myself to rush the job though. If he passes before it's done then I'm okay with that.

Am hoping to have it done by end of summer but if it drags on to spring next year I don't mind. Am in it for the long haul.

Budget wise I haven't saved up or set aside a specific amount as a kitty to dip into. I have £250 a month available and when that runs out any purchases will be put on hold until the next month.

There is now a complete bike to work from so any further expenses will be sandblasting, paint, and new engine parts, etc. I estimate that the remaining cost will be between 4 to 6 months of my monthly budget, with me doing all the mechanical side and a shop doing the sandblasting and paint of the frame and tupperware.

Have been told of a guy that has all the facilities for sandblasting, respray etc and he only charges a nominal amount if you do the labour yourself so I may sandblast it myself to keep the cost down.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

OP
OP
Phil1164
where in the UK are you
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the link for the workshop manual.

Sorry, I haven't been on heremin a while or responded to your most recent posts. My phone settings aren't alerting me to new posts anymore for some weird reason. Thankfully the tablet still does.

I've been busy learning amount volts, amps and ohms. Wish I had done it decades ago. Have got a basic understanding now so can do the necessary checks to identity good and bad components.

Thanks to Kiltman for the attached pdf documents ofmthemstarter relay tests. Extremely helpful for an electrical novice such as myself.

The ignition key is very stiff and sometimes it doesn't want to turn. Perhaps it is corrosion related and the source of the problems?

OP
OP
Phil1164
Am in Northwest England near Burnley, Lancashire.

Will do the starter relay tests when next off work in a few days and will update then.

Thanks to everyone for you continued advice and support.

Bike
2006 A6 ST1300
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the link for the workshop manual.

Sorry, I haven't been on heremin a while or responded to your most recent posts. My phone settings aren't alerting me to new posts anymore for some weird reason. Thankfully the tablet still does.

I've been busy learning amount volts, amps and ohms. Wish I had done it decades ago. Have got a basic understanding now so can do the necessary checks to identity good and bad components.

Thanks to Kiltman for the attached pdf documents ofmthemstarter relay tests. Extremely helpful for an electrical novice such as myself.

The ignition key is very stiff and sometimes it doesn't want to turn. Perhaps it is corrosion related and the source of the problems?
try wd40 in that ignition let it set and try it

OP
OP
Phil1164
Hi all,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response. My wife and I are fighting a certain bug which will remain nameless. Consequently, I've not done anything further, until today...

Having gone into the garage for something else entirely, I remembered that the ignition barrel hadn't been attended to yet.

Taking Keith's advice, I sprayed a generous dollop of WD40 in the ignition barrel, let it sit and then worked the key back and forth until the resistance decreased. Then sprayed some more, working the key over and over.

Now, the fuel pump can be heard priming the carbs when the key is switched to on. I checked this with the kill switch activated and the K.S. appears to be doing its job.

Also, the instrument cluster is now lighting up with back-lighting for the speedo/tacho plus the side stand/oil pressure dummy lights illuminating as they should.

I resisted the overwhelming urge to go any further with it. When I'm back to match fitness, the next steps are to drain the fuel tank/pump/carbs of the stale fuel and refill with Shell V power. Then see if it turns over and check for spark.

Just want to say a big thank you to Keith for the WD40 tip. I was so focused on finding a faulty electrical component that I lost sight of the basics and overlooked something that would normally be addressed.

Bike
VStrom 650
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that my Dad passed away two days ago so there won't be any updates on the project for another month or so.

Am still going ahead with it. I just won't be able to share it with him.
Sorry for your loss Phil, he'll be watching I'm sure.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom