Long Skinny Compression Sack For A Sleeping Bag

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I am looking for is a compression bag that would allow me to 'lengthen' my sleeping bag into a 'skinnier' roll more like the length of my tent bag (36+ inches).
It would allow a more 'uniform' bundle to strap on the back of my ST1100.
I've about Googled out on EBay, Amazon, REI, Dicks, etc. as they all list liters of volume instead of length of roll.
Anybody got a resource for a waterproof one?
BTW, I already have a 'normal' one but it makes it a short stubby fat man.
Just thinking ahead to RockStoc ...

What I am looking for is a compression bag that would allow me to 'lengthen' my sleeping bag into a 'skinnier' roll more like the length of my tent bag (36+ inches).
It would allow a more 'uniform' bundle to strap on the back of my ST1100.
I've about Googled out on EBay, Amazon, REI, Dicks, etc. as they all list liters of volume instead of length of roll.
Anybody got a resource for a waterproof one?
BTW, I already have a 'normal' one but it makes it a short stubby fat man.
Just thinking ahead to RockStoc ...
these r the ones I use. Don't know much about their smaller dimensions.

Walmart carries a roll top water proof bag that's about that size. It is spacious enough that it would hold both tent and sleeping bag. I used one on my trip to Texas 5yrs ago.

I've got similar 'storage' bags but the sleeping bag is a 5 degree very large mummy (North Face).
What I want is a way to strap the tent, the cot, the chair, and the sleeping bag in a 'pyramid' of objects about the same diameter and length.
The sleeping bag is the 'misfit'.

I've got similar 'storage' bags but the sleeping bag is a 5 degree very large mummy (North Face).
What I want is a way to strap the tent, the cot, the chair, and the sleeping bag in a 'pyramid' of objects about the same diameter and length.
Earthpack makes some nice bags. I bought a 60l and compress my pad, bag, chair etc. in and other items in there.

Seattle sports makes long skinnys!

Phil
I don’t think that you will need a long thin stuff sack.
I don’t know how you would compress a bag that is long and thin?

cheers,
Craig

Can you sew? Here’s where you can get the waterproof fabric to make one.
I’ve made my own dry bags/compression bags to fit the item.
In one bag I have my hammock, ground cloth, bike cover.
In the other is my table, over quilt and sleeping pad

Attachments

• 61416FD1-0C3F-4ED1-BE4B-C5FC03D5FEB2.jpeg
    61416FD1-0C3F-4ED1-BE4B-C5FC03D5FEB2.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 31
  • BC7FC3F0-BFA0-41C9-AB77-CBBEA8B7773E.jpeg
    BC7FC3F0-BFA0-41C9-AB77-CBBEA8B7773E.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 52090766-FD08-4520-8A1A-4C3D5ED486F0.jpeg
    52090766-FD08-4520-8A1A-4C3D5ED486F0.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 32
  • F5DA3AC6-F9C9-4990-88A0-FC124F723BD5.jpeg
    F5DA3AC6-F9C9-4990-88A0-FC124F723BD5.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 30
  • D30244AE-6600-4C3F-AE38-919E3E71A661.jpeg
    D30244AE-6600-4C3F-AE38-919E3E71A661.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 30
  • C60AD79D-3B2D-426E-AC87-5E85486D35AB.jpeg
    C60AD79D-3B2D-426E-AC87-5E85486D35AB.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Have someone make you a "rollup" bag. put everything into a waterproof covering and roll it up and secure with rokstraps around it. You can get it as tight as you need it.

Phil, what if you fold the bag in half, head-to-toe, then roll it up from the side?

If that ends up being too long, maybe fold it in thirds, then roll it up sideways.

I just have to respect a man who’s fresh out of surgery, nursing pain, looking to a somewhat lengthy recovery process, looking to the future and how to efficiently pack his bike for a trip.

Inspirational? Absolutely.

Kind of crazy? Maybe… :)

The Dan just gave me a great idea to try - make a tube out of pvc pipe to stuff it in.
I'd just have to find a big enough diameter to work ... :think1:
The 'problem' with most of the bags I find are they too short and too fat (sort of like me). ;)
I do appreciate the ideas and keep them coming because one of them will be the solution!

I bought the Seattle Sports X-Long bag that @Pop-Pop linked to for my sleeping pad. My first thought was simply to get a dry bag that would fit my self inflating sleeping pad that is a rolls up to about 25" long and about 6.5" diameter. There is enough space in this dry bag that I can stuff more skinny things down beside my rolled up sleeping pad or if I don't do that I can simply flatten almost half the bag lengthwise and fold it over/around the rest of it. A few web straps as was mentioned will hold it or compress it very well to a very skinny package. This X-Long dry bag is plenty long. That 37" length sounds about right after I roll the top down 3x like is done with all dry bags to seal them. Since I don't need that much length I can roll it down about 5x or 6x and still not be really tight for length.

I pack it right next to my tent bag for the exact same reason you mention. My tent dry bag is shorter at about 21" long and 7" diameter including my tarp and all poles. I liked the Seattle Sports bag enough to buy the 20L version that is almost 22" long but just a bit fatter to fit my tent/tarp and poles. The measurements given on the Amazon listing is closed dimensions. Verified by me in person. :biggrin:

If you're not in a hurry and are going to FerrySTOC I'll be there with mine.
Here is a picture of both my sleeping pad bag and the tent bag. The X-Long dry bag is the one on top. This is from MNSTOC last year. As you can see by the slack at the bottom of the bag there is plenty of space yet it can be compressed sideways a lot with a few straps.
PXL_20210811_130601171.jpg

The Dan just gave me a great idea to try - make a tube out of pvc pipe to stuff it in.
I was thinking the same thing earlier, but I wasn't sure if you'd want something that inflexible to strap on with all the other stuff. You'd need to get probably 6" diameter PVC, the other option is ABS, but its a lot more expensive. And with a big bag to stuff in there, 6" may be too small anyway, so you'd need 8" or bigger and that's going to get fairly expensive to experiment with.

I was looking to maximize storage space on my '19 Tracer GT as the side bags are only 20 L vs. the 30 I'm used to. Found roll up vacuum bags in various sizes on Amazon that work very well. All of my soft gear like liners, rain gear etc. fit in separate vacuum bags and in my 52 L Givi Maxia top case clothes compress to about 1/3 of their regular volume as well. These bags comes in a variety of sizes.

Back
Top Bottom