Camping 2022 Is Coming

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Greetings Campers!! Here in the North East of North America, winters are cold, Spring is just a nature moment away. This was one of my last camp sites last year, going Big Agnes, this year. I spent a bit much on some new gear and the delivery drivers are starting to trickle in. I'm going to post some of the new gear as I get ready to head out on a few "close" trips in the next month. Feel free to share your plans and gear picks for this year here! Happy Camping Campers.

Last Camp 2021.jpg

First piece of kit to arrive, nothing like a fresh coffee in the morning, in the middle of nowhere.
Espresso.jpg

Yes, itching for FerrySTOC. Working on how work can pay for some mileage on the way down. Have some customers to visit.

Ahh yes, January, the other season in Texas.
Better than Vermont's seasons... "Winter and six* weeks of lousy skiing"

* substitute whatever number you like for desired impact :)

I shouldn't dis on Vermont though. It's a wonderland of great roads and a launching point for awesome day, weekend or longer rides in all parts north, south, east and west!

I miss it. <sniff!>

Greetings Campers!! Here in the North East of North America, winters are cold, Spring is just a nature moment away. This was one of my last camp sites last year, going Big Agnes, this year. I spent a bit much on some new gear and the delivery drivers are starting to trickle in. I'm going to post some of the new gear as I get ready to head out on a few "close" trips in the next month. Feel free to share your plans and gear picks for this year here! Happy Camping Campers.

View attachment 289431

First piece of kit to arrive, nothing like a fresh coffee in the morning, in the middle of nowhere.
View attachment 289432

Post up your plans (RTC) if you want some company, even for a single night, I'm not far from you. I need to get my camping dialed in. I'm weak on the cooking and coffee prep end.

I won't get out for camping until the middle of June. I was trying to think of what I needed to get new or replace in the way of riding or camping gear. Damn, can't think of anything. Guess I loaded up pretty good just before Covid stopped us. At the end of this summer, I'll reassess.

Here’s a few of my recent camps…. I have several tents for various situations.

January, this year, Winter BMW Rally, N. FL.

DC06C770-0635-4F98-B1E1-B55DD5112F61.jpeg

Wailin Wayne’s Weekend, Ohio. Last fall. I carry a pole tarp for shade and a dry spot in rain.

C43C7A1B-4282-4C8D-AF3B-5E271AFC8834.jpeg

Last September at Iron Horse resort, NC.
9A84FF1E-DD37-46A3-A46A-9A44B3DFD126.jpeg

Blue Ridge MC campground right before the flood last summer. I use a Helinox one cot.
A2B69B4B-5B3B-47B8-B972-0A9B605ABA6A.jpeg

Paonia CO, last July, on my way to Top of the Rockies rally.
5BCE328A-8714-4872-97E8-F8FF5A281BDB.jpeg

I'm weak on the cooking and coffee prep end.
I use a jetboil, it's small and works very well. I bring instant coffee since I'm not that picky but you can also bring some freezer bags, put food in them and place them in the jetboil w/water for cooking. I did that with eggs at a GA Rally but will also bring some ramen noodles with me in case I'm too lazy to go into town for dinner. Again, I'm not picky.

I have a Sumo which is now called Zip I think - smaller .8 liter container but also a regular 1.8 l container, they both use the same stove base. But, I typically only need the small one.

IMG_20160422_082712.jpg

Post up your plans (RTC) if you want some company, even for a single night, I'm not far from you. I need to get my camping dialed in. I'm weak on the cooking and coffee prep end.
Sometime in April after all the gear is in and a few bike mods. I’ll do a few long weekends, close to home before my big one.

Wailin Wayne’s Weekend, Ohio. Last fall. I carry a pole tarp for shade and a dry spot in rain.

I like that pole tarp setup. It looks like it packs up reasonably small. Can you confirm if that is the case. Also what brand/model pole tarp is that. Same question for the poles - Thanks

I like that pole tarp setup. It looks like it packs up reasonably small. Can you confirm if that is the case. Also what brand/model pole tarp is that. Same question for the poles - Thanks

Charlie,
I have used these for years, several brands and sizes. This one is a 12 X 12 foot REI brand that has been discontinued but if you search Amazon or google “pole tarp” there are dozens to choose from in all price ranges. Walmart even sells an “Ozark Trails” branded one.

Packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread but well worth the space. Fits in the bottom of my pannier and weighs almost nothing. The nice thing about a pole tarp vs a tent with a big vestibule like a Redverz is it can be used only when needed and left stowed when there is shade or clear weather. It’s also a natural gathering point at a rally……. Don’t ask me how I know…..:p

4A218724-ADA4-43AB-8699-475FA6936349.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m pretty much set up for the season, I bought or made upgrades to my kit last year. I hammock camp, in that front, I’ve added a urinal, a gear hammock slung under my main unit. My hammock is a double layer, and I purchased an insulated winged sleeping pad. ( no picture). I also made an over quilt and use it instead of a sleeping bag. I cut a piece of Tyvec to use as a ground sheet.
I purchased a folding chair and table. I made a sand tarp for the chair so the feet won’t sink in the sand.
On the cooking front, I bought a burner and cook set off of Amazon, very happy with it. I also have an adapter and valve so I can refill the canisters with butane. I also acquired a folding twig stove to BBQ.
New this year is a tarp, it’s 3mx3.3m.
our camping season won’t start till the middle of May. There’s still traces of snow here.

Attachments

• 06CFD78B-BAF1-4E17-9456-2B7AA187A718.jpeg
    06CFD78B-BAF1-4E17-9456-2B7AA187A718.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 42
  • BE64B1DB-51A6-41E6-B1C3-D213DB27C1DB.jpeg
    BE64B1DB-51A6-41E6-B1C3-D213DB27C1DB.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 42
  • 6EB31434-2F42-42E7-9692-DBA01B063512.jpeg
    6EB31434-2F42-42E7-9692-DBA01B063512.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 9C374C3E-CE6A-4007-885D-7C07FDE45017.jpeg
    9C374C3E-CE6A-4007-885D-7C07FDE45017.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 4164FC17-1103-4A11-9BCE-89BD0147E5F8.jpeg
    4164FC17-1103-4A11-9BCE-89BD0147E5F8.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 41
What @Bulitt showed with his pole tarp is exactly what I originally planned with my Kelty Noah's Tarp 12. My intention was to set up the tarp first should it be raining and then set up the tent under the tarp and then move the tarp for dry space to sit under. Then I got lazy and never moved it after the tent was set up under it. Still provides good shade to keep the tent cooler on hot sunny summer days.

I'll have to rethink about doing that after reading this thread and also UP's thread about the same idea.

Just go to Amazon and search for Kelty Noah's Tarp and lots of different brands, including Kelty, show up as well as the tarp poles.
I have the Kelty STAFF poles that are 4 section and break down to just a few inches longer than my tent poles do. My tent poles are about 16 inches and the Kelty STAFF poles are 21.5 inches when folded. I can fit the tarp, tent and all poles in the same small dry bag to keep all that separate from other stuff to keep that other stuff dry in case those get wet.

Total camping green newbie guy here....
What's the smallest packing.....tent/sleeping bag/ground pad combination, but decent?

Total camping green newbie guy here....
What's the smallest packing.....tent/sleeping bag/ground pad combination, but decent?
My .02... don't go for smallest... you have lots of room on an ST, unless you're carrying a pillion. Get a dry bag and carry all you want. I have a 4-man tent, an REI 2.5" pad, sleeping bag, cooking gear, etc, so all that takes up a bit of room. But room is no problem with a 50L dry bag strapped down behind me with ROK straps. Makes for a good back rest as well.

Also, lots of good info in the Camping forum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom