public service, beware of stray ponies

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

One other odd thing about the video. There's another rider in the background at the start of the video in the same lane as the scooter, and they're heading towards a head-on collision if the pony hadn't knocked the scooter rider down. Maybe the other rider moved over into the other lane to avoid the pony prior to the start of the video, or maybe the pony knows the rules of the road better than the scooter rider and was just doing him a favor.

Last edited:
An interesting sidenote ... did the videographer take this video at the last moment, cause they noticed the pony on the road ?

Or did they know ahead of time the pony was on the way?

Maybe the videographer spooked the pony (?)

very skilled rider? my butt would have been sliding down the road! that guy just stood up by a stack of cinder blocks.

very skilled rider? my butt would have been sliding down the road! that guy just stood up by a stack of cinder blocks.
Guy looked to me to be stunned, and held up by the blocks.

Videos like this leave me wondering if they were staged. It's all so convenient, and begs the question, why did the horse cross the road?

Here in the mighty PNW we have a standing joke.....

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To show the opossum it could be done............. :rofl1: :eek::well1::beatdeadhorse::shrug1:

Silly biker didn't know that pony is like opossum...... Suicide by biker.....

The pony was just demonstrating to us how that saying of "you go where you look" is really true. Notice how the pony's head turns left to look at the approaching scooter and then heads straight for him.

lucky it wasn't a draft horse

I was interested to check statistics on a draft horse ... they range from about 16 to 19 hands and from 1,400 to 2,000 lb (640 to 910 kg). The world record is Sampson, 21 1⁄2 hands, and weighed approx 3,360 lb (1,524 kg)

We have a Belgian Warmblood (age 28), retired Hunter/ Jumper (wife's), standing 16 hands and weighs 1,400 lbs.

1674158679133.png

Last edited:
Wonder what happened to the Pony Pilot? has a saddle and a bridle. My observations. Pony was operating without a licensed driver, flagrantly cut off the scooter and left the scene of an accident. Looks like the scooter rider WILL live, but it looks like he may have gotten the wind knocked out of him.
The way the pony checked field to the left before making the turn, I'm guessing that he may have been late to a polo match.:doh1:

I was interested to check statistics on a draft horse ... they range from about 16 to 19 hands and from 1,400 to 2,000 lb (640 to 910 kg). The world record is Sampson, 21 1⁄2 hands, and weighed approx 3,360 lb (1,524 kg)

We have a Belgian Warmblood (age 28), retired Hunter/ Jumper (wife's), standing 16 hands and weighs 1,400 lbs.

1674158679133.png
How do you weigh a horse? They have special scales like truck scales, only for animals?

How do you weigh a horse? They have special scales like truck scales, only for animals?
Yes, large livestock scales exist. Vets who work in farming communities will have them.
Any vehicle scale like you find at truck stops, grain terminals, etc., works well. Just weigh you truck and trailer with and without the horse in it and do the math.

One other odd thing about the video. There's another rider in the background at the start of the video in the same lane as the scooter, and they're heading towards a head-on collision
The resolution isn't great but it looks like the two rearview mirrors are showing along with the back of the helmet and what looks like the license plate. I don't think it was heading in the opposite direction.

The video doesn't look staged to me as far as the accident is concerned.

'Then you cut the scooter off and smack it for good measure.'

There's somebody standing in the videographer's lane down yonder. Maybe he said 'Little Silver knows the way home. I can let him go and he'll head straight for Lassie and tell him Timmie is in the well'. So there's video for posterity. Scooterman was unintended collateral damage.

The pony didn't care about the scooter and didn't seem at all phased by the videographer. Ran right along side him and didn't swerve until past.

On the same note...
That might not have happened if the rider's bike had cowspicuity lights.

One other odd thing about the video. There's another rider in the background at the start of the video in the same lane as the scooter, and they're heading towards a head-on collision if the pony hadn't knocked the scooter rider down. Maybe the other rider moved over into the other lane to avoid the pony prior to the start of the video, or maybe the pony knows the rules of the road better than the scooter rider and was just doing him a favor.

20220110_TruckDamage.jpg

YES, watch out for stray ponies and wild Mustangs!

Back
Top Bottom