Bad Gas

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Riding home from work, stop and get some chicken for dinner, head home and Moby starts running BAD, stumbling at low throttle, ok at more open throttle. changed fuel pump a couple months ago, I'm thinking "crap it's going out again", get home, get off bike to grab the trash can and roll it in garage, and there's a puddle under the bike, I smell it and it's gasoline, and it sounds like my tank is grumbling, I pop the gas cap, and it spews out like an over heated radiator, GASOLINE BOILING! NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I SEEN THAT! So I grabbed our home fire extinguisher and stand by. Well, it didn't explode and slowly stopped bubbling. So not sure what to think, so I call Igofar (felt terrible bothering him, but didn't know what to do) 5 minutes later, and I'm feeling much better, Larry said he's almost certain I have some bad gas, way too much Ethanol, and that's what is boiling off, that and possibly some water in there as well! So my plan is to drain a couple or four gallons, and get some gas in the morning, both cars are at about ¾ tank, so I think I can mix a bit in them without hurting
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
(And by the way Larry sounds much better and recovering good) THANK YOU LARRY

Maybe you got a tank of E85? It's not unusual to hear rumbling noises from the gas tank in hot weather but never to have it spew out or boil over.

Check the vent tubes, since you were in there to replace the fuel pump. Also check the fuel line that connects the upper tank with lower tank, to be sure it's not kinked (I've had that one).

Both of mine have done that ... and I only buy gas from reputable company owned stations. it's more prevalent when it's hot out. Anyway, re-read above paragraph :)

But it's a known issue ... simply Google search the term: st1300 gurgling

Last edited:
And another video - right here in the forum

Update...last night I drained about 3 gallons out of top tank, this morning went to Walmart and grabbed some Seafoam, put in about 4-5 oz., then rode down and filled tank at a station we use a lot, went for a short ride, and felt like back to normal. I had the trouble yesterday when it was 96° and it's a little cooler today, so this afternoon I'll take a ride when it's warmer and see, but I think Igofar was right, I got some bad gas

Took Moby for a longer run, about 95°
Seemed to run fine, but when I got home, it really started gurgling, that's very disturbing

My 2010 & 2012 both have been gurgling since day one.

It's hard to find gas around here without the Ethanol in it. I was told that there is a Chevron Station that has 89 non Ethanol. I'm going to go check it out.

Buc-ees is where I got the bad gas

I doubt it's bad gas.

Re-read paragraph
#1 in post #3.

I've run ethanol free countless times, and the highest octane from most reputable makers ... doesn't matter. It's an odd anomoly with the ST13.

If you've searched as suggested, you will find ENDLESS posts about it - in here and all over the Internet. Posts, videos, etc.

As I mentioned, you noticed it showed up after you changed the fuel pump - you need to follow up on the work performed. I've had an issue with the upper to lower tank fuel hose (kinked).

I replaced it with an official Mother Honda hose and prob went away.

The same can occur with a kinked or clogged or cracked tank breather hose. NO ONE ever checks those hoses!!

Last edited:
Check the vent tubes, since you were in there to replace the fuel pump. Also check the fuel line that connects the upper tank with lower tank, to be sure it's not kinked (I've had that one).

Both of mine have done that ... and I only buy gas from reputable company owned stations. it's more prevalent when it's hot out. Anyway, re-read above paragraph :)

But it's a known issue ... simply Google search the term: st1300 gurgling

Thanks for the video and laugh. In over 40 years of owning all kinds of vehicles/power equipment, to my knowledge I have never had this happen to any of them, check for the fish. ;)

Never had problem with too much ethanol, but that may be luck. Have not looked at Honda management of fuel injection, most adjust for ethanol by adding more fuel as directed by the O2 sensors,
But have had drain under gas cap plug and as soon as you pop the cap everything that was backed up drains into tank.
Ran a piece of stiff wire into top and then blew it out with rubber tipped air nozzle.

If you have been overfilling the tank or during hot weather when the fuel expands with heat and excess fuel is getting into the evap. canister the noise may be coming when the purge valve is purging the canister of the fuel. Just a thought.

If you have been overfilling the tank or during hot weather when the fuel expands with heat and excess fuel is getting into the evap. canister the noise may be coming when the purge valve is purging the canister of the fuel. Just a thought.
I always stop at the bar running in the tank, not up to the bottom of the cap ring

Back
Top Bottom