Bad Gas

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I doubt it's a vent line mainly because we have here 2 examples of a well vented tank (opened) bubbling away. It's boiling, plain and simple. It does that.

Mine has done this since new as did all 4 of my Honda Valkyrie's when they are hot. I think it's just the lower boiling point of good old blended fuel. ST1300 even will "heat" the gas up for you as you ride or sit in traffic. The 2 fuel tanks get plenty of heat off the engine and the fuel rails send back warm fuel to the tank. "Gas" can boil as low as 95f or 122f depending on who says so.

"Motor gasoline, as defined in ASTM Specification D 4814 or Federal Specification VV-G-1690C, is characterized as having a boiling range of 122 to 158 degrees Fahrenheit at the 10 percent recovery point to 365 to 374 degrees Fahrenheit at the 90 percent recovery point."

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Mine "gurgles" in the heat (most noticeable when you shut it off in the garage), but not this boiling that you filmed. Mine is more of a 1 second release every 2-3 minutes. Then again, I don't open the gas tank when I hear it gurgle. Is the tank lid pressurized like a radiator? It would make sense if there were a couple psi on the gas cap, which would raise the boiling point quite a bit in the tank, maybe there is a bad seal is out on the gas cap?

Keep in mind, mine only has ~7000 miles. So, I have very limited experience. I have ridden in some of the hottest days we have had in this area though, I think I would have noticed a boiling tank.

Thank you,
Ryan

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Mine is more of a 1 second release every 2-3 minutes.
Probably because the cap is on and it on gurgles when the pressure gets to the point that it is released by the cap. If you removed the cap, you may well see the same thing that Raymond posted.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Probably because the cap is on and it on gurgles when the pressure gets to the point that it is released by the cap. If you removed the cap, you may well see the same thing that Raymond posted.

Do you think it could be related to the Evap Canister Purge Valve closing when shutting off the engine and somehow causing vapors back to the tank as the tank pressure dips? I don't know enough about it to tell.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
According to Google, gasoline can boil at 95° F and Ethanol is 173° F, so I guess when I opened the cap,letting pressure off, the gasoline might actually boil. (I find that hard to believe, especially when you consider it was 114° F in Texas last month.) So I guess that would make my ethanol/ gasoline ratio even higher, gotta love the stupid politicians that came up with the idea of putting ethanol in our gasoline.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Do you think it could be related to the Evap Canister Purge Valve closing when shutting off the engine and somehow causing vapors back to the tank as the tank pressure dips? I don't know enough about it to tell.

I really don't know, I never paid much attention to it or gave it much thought. I think that the fuel is sitting above a really big heat source. The fuel gets hot and it gurgles and burps the same as other liquids sometimes do before they get to a boil.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does it when the engine is running if it gets hot enough, we just can't hear it.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
According to Google, gasoline can boil at 95° F and Ethanol is 173° F, so I guess when I opened the cap,letting pressure off, the gasoline might actually boil. (I find that hard to believe, especially when you consider it was 114° F in Texas last month.) So I guess that would make my ethanol/ gasoline ratio even higher, gotta love the stupid politicians that came up with the idea of putting ethanol in our gasoline.

Gasoline is not like water with one well defined boiling temp. It is a mixture of over 100 hydrocarbons with each its own evap temp.

First will start evaporating around 100F and last at around 400F.

So what @jfheath has said makes a lot of sense.

.....I don't think that the fuel that you can see in the tank is boiling. I think the disturbance is caused by hot fuel vapours being vented into the tank, and the bubbles disturb the fuel that you can see.
One issue we have in Tx is that we are still switching to the more volatile winter gasoline blend as early as September, despite September temps being higher than they used to, per @RichKat , up to a summery 114 F this year.

So you might see bubbling from the evaporation of the more volatile winter gasoline components until the temp dips a bit more into actual winter territory (if it ever gets there...).

Bike
R1200rt
canister purge valves are normally closed. Engine off this valve would be closed. If the purge valve was stuck open there would be a hard to start/ longer crank time after refueling and or other issues.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Those extreme hot days are gone now, and have been for a short while.

This Sep was hottest on record in Houston. Maybe time to consider switching to the volatile winter blend later, maybe end of Oct like in CA, to prevent some to be scared by their ST gargles (not popular though, as summer blend is more expensive).

Top Bottom