Sadlsor goes x-country on the GS Adventure

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
What a workout, mentally and physically. If there are no bent parts, then it is an adventure, with bent parts (you and/or bike) then a gnarly adventure. Adds a new dimension to the phrase "takes a licking and keeps on ticking". Breakfast looks great and well earned.

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
After reading this thread I'd never buy a bike from RawHyde. Talk about a mechanical nightmare. Pieced back together just enough to sell it to some guy on the internet.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I think an adventure often starts out as a pain in the butt, and it takes a while for it to mature into an adventure.
At least some are that way.
It only becomes an Adventure when it is over and you are sitting around with your buddies and a beer recounting so called adventure. Until then it was a real Pain in the Ass. BTDT.

After reading this thread I'd never buy a bike from RawHyde. Talk about a mechanical nightmare. Pieced back together just enough to sell it to some guy on the internet.
Dropping the bike is not the fault of the guy who sold it. Personally I don't like Computor controlled Vehicles, sooner or later they become a pain in the butt . Off road vehicles need to be built Simply tuff and dirt bikes really light.

Sadlsor have you seen the Motobike Jack, might be a good thing to get.

Bike
R1200rt
been there, done that (almost as bad) " I feel your pain " Torential Monsoon blew the bike over while I was trying to get the tent up. 70 mph gusts rain going sideways. Packed up stuffing things anywhere I could. Everything soaked. Drove a mile to an I80 under pass and sat there for about 4 hours. It finally let up and drove to a motel 30 miles down, got there 1 in the mourning. At the motel watched weather alerts about tornado touch downs near where I was at. I survived and an adventure I will not forget. Sadlsore, later you'll fell better about the whole thing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think an adventure often starts out as a pain in the butt, and it takes a while for it to mature into an adventure.
At least some are that way.
Ah, no real 'adventure' unless there is a pilot truck involved and a couple of broken ribs ... ;)

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
OK, yeah, I get it.
I knew it was used for training when I got it.
The RawHyde mechanic was off the day I left, but we had talked and I knew that ahead of time.
Turns out, I'm glad I didn't ship those original Bridgestone tires home.
We went through the sand pit during training, and I didn't fall until my last run. The spill this morning was strictly due to my being exhausted... when I finally had the presence of mind to rotate the bike more downhill, I was able to stand it up.
Likewise, taking that wrong turn was on me. I realized the mistake in time to turn around, but it looked like that road met up with the interstate again... there was lots of construction and it was poor visibility AND I was tired and trying to take back some of the time I'd lost.
Most of my drops in classes were also due to me being wiped out by the end of the day, it is rather physical if you're not in good shape. On the RawHyde website, it's recommended that if you don't work out, to start a workout routine 90 days before your class.
Guess who didn't go to the gym, or the YMCA?
If you had a chance to meet Jim, you could easily change your mind.
As I've related here before, "A man's got to know his limitations." -- Clint Eastwood
This all adds up to the adventure... as in, "Adventure bike."
It's all good.
Now I need to go put in some more miles.
I appreciate everyone's support and encouragement.
This is FUN, innit?

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Twelve minutes messing with my favorite keyless gas cap.
It worked last time, but not this time.
I tried both keys, in the antenna ring under the rear fender. I turned the bike on again, and off.
While you are trying all those great suggestions on how to get that high-dollar gas cap to do its very simple task, you might ponder installing an aux tank over the pillion seat. No need to fiddle with electronic do dads, just twist off the cap and pump the gas. If you use a pump you can transfer approx 5 gallons into the main tank in 5 minutes. Repeat. Not to mention you'll get 50% more distance which can be important when you are gas station hunting in west texas, or anywhere in the west really. Just try finding a gas station in Montana once you leave the interstate.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
While you are trying all those great suggestions on how to get that high-dollar gas cap to do its very simple task, you might ponder installing an aux tank over the pillion seat. No need to fiddle with electronic do dads, just twist off the cap and pump the gas. If you use a pump you can transfer approx 5 gallons into the main tank in 5 minutes. Repeat. Not to mention you'll get 50% more distance which can be important when you are gas station hunting in west texas, or anywhere in the west really. Just try finding a gas station in Montana once you leave the interstate.
There is no room on the back seat. It would need a trailer. :biggrin:

Bike
VStrom 650
OK, yeah, I get it.
I knew it was used for training when I got it.
The RawHyde mechanic was off the day I left, but we had talked and I knew that ahead of time.
Turns out, I'm glad I didn't ship those original Bridgestone tires home.
We went through the sand pit during training, and I didn't fall until my last run. The spill this morning was strictly due to my being exhausted... when I finally had the presence of mind to rotate the bike more downhill, I was able to stand it up.
Likewise, taking that wrong turn was on me. I realized the mistake in time to turn around, but it looked like that road met up with the interstate again... there was lots of construction and it was poor visibility AND I was tired and trying to take back some of the time I'd lost.
Most of my drops in classes were also due to me being wiped out by the end of the day, it is rather physical if you're not in good shape. On the RawHyde website, it's recommended that if you don't work out, to start a workout routine 90 days before your class.
Guess who didn't go to the gym, or the YMCA?
If you had a chance to meet Jim, you could easily change your mind.
As I've related here before, "A man's got to know his limitations." -- Clint Eastwood
This all adds up to the adventure... as in, "Adventure bike."
It's all good.
Now I need to go put in some more miles.
I appreciate everyone's support and encouragement.
This is FUN, innit?
You asked for it......
Young man, there's no need to feel down, I said
Young man, pick yourself off the ground, I said
Young man, 'cause you're in a new town

There's no need to be unhappy.
:biggrin:

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Last 2 InReach tracks.
Both from today, I think...

This don't look at all the same, do they?
I've messed up somewhere.
Mind is cloudy as these grey Texas skies...

20231109_150055.jpg

Bike
R1200rt
Last 2 InReach tracks.
Both from today, I think...

This don't look at all the same, do they?
I've messed up somewhere.
Mind is cloudy as these grey Texas skies...

20231109_150055.jpg
I think if you should strap some of that stuff to the side case racks, it's top heavy

Top Bottom