Helmet Lock/Storage Help Needed

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I need to figure out where/how to lock my helmet to the ST. I have the Sargent seat and with the saddlebags in-place, the helmet strap is not long enough to reach the factory hooks under the rear seat. I've been using a cable lock, but that is cumbersome and takes a while to complete.

Are there other options or accessory options that are practical on the ST1300? Oh - I have the factory heated grips, so those bar-end locks won't work.

Thanks,
Gordon

I have the same problem. I'll be interested to see what other solutions people have come up with.

Generally, I just crank the handlebar all the way left, and hang my helmet on the right grip. Another reason to buy cheaper helmets... :D

The helmet holder on the ST is a lot of trouble to get to yes. But here's what a couple of us did. Have you seen the little chrome dangly items hanging under many Goldwing trunks? One of these can be used to hold the helmet to the little holder gadget on the ST.:):07biker:

Thanks for the links, Paul.

Seems to me, after scrolling down them, that a cable with two end-loops could be the key. Just put one loop in each of the helmet hooks under the saddle, and you've got a good helmet lock. :shrug2:

I have the Helmet Guardian. It sure isn't the cheapest option out there but it works great. I bought it from Premier Cycle Accessories and they also have a bracket you can get if you have there rack. Which means the helmets are a lot higher off the ground than if mounted on the licence plate.

I used that set-up constantly this past summer and was really pleased with the looks, security, and ease of use.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=helmet+guardian

A small pad lock - use the hole in the bracket mounting the rear side reflectors and helmet D ring.

Dave, can you post some photos of your set-up, please? I look at my rear fender and think it's too flimsy for one of those tag mounts - the whole thing is plastic and I'm not sure I want to put an $800 Arai helmet (has the J&M Elite/premium headset and CB set-up installed). Besides needing my helment to ride with after the meal or event I'm there for - I don't want to replace the helmet and electronics either.

The T-bars over the stock holders would scratch/damage the plastic on both sides wouldn't they? I really like the under-box idea. In fact, I ordered the 8" extention for the MCL antennae just for the the mounting of a helmet holder, I also like the idea of having it under the box. The fender things scare me - just looks like it is weak and not up to the task - it looks like it could break-off, even without a helmet or two hanging on it.

Thanks,
Gordon

Here's what I do - same idea as Dave

Attachments

• 100_1320.JPG
    100_1320.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_1322.JPG
    100_1322.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for the links, Paul.

Seems to me, after scrolling down them, that a cable with two end-loops could be the key. Just put one loop in each of the helmet hooks under the saddle, and you've got a good helmet lock. :shrug2:
I bought (don't remember where) a black totally coated cable designed just for locking helmets. It's simply a sturdy cable with good plastic coating with 2 loops. The benefit is you loop one loop through the chin bar of the helmet and through the other loop. Then lock the remaining loop to the bikes normal helmet lock. The cable is like a foot long. I've got similar, but lighter weight, cables from REI. Works great. The longer the cable the further from the lock you can have the helmet. Since it doesn't use the D ring, it's much more secure.

I mounted one of the locks from my old Helmet Guardian, (it worked OK mounted to the license plate on the 1100, but the helmets touched the exhaust on the 1300) onto my MCL antenna bracket. I tapped a hole for the existing bolt on the lock, and drilled a locating hole for the small stud that keeps it from rotating. I also used a small plastic plug to fill a hole that wasn't needed, to keep water from getting into the lock.

Attachments

• HG Install 004 (Small).jpg
    HG Install 004 (Small).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 156
  • HG Install 005 (Small).jpg
    HG Install 005 (Small).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 151
  • HG Install 006 (Small).jpg
    HG Install 006 (Small).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 146
  • HG Install 001 (Small).jpg
    HG Install 001 (Small).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
I use the Helmet Guardian. You have to be careful though so the helmet dosen't lay on the exhaust. If I had a stock tail/luggage rack I'd go with the unit that fits underneath it. I cant recall it's name but I saw it at performance accessories I think.

Jeff, Roger, --- you guys have it "nailed". Where can I buy those locks? I already have the MCL antenne mounts and now have the extension for both sides. I could mount two of these and I thought that would be the perfect place. I just could not find a source for the locks.

Thanks for the info and your inputs - this has solved my problem completely.

Best Regards,
Gordon

I use one of the pegs that replaces your pivot bolt on the clutch handle, the d ring of the helmet slides over the peg and then the paddlock secures it, coveres up the j&m cb that way and no rain gets into the helmet. Mostly a wing accessory but it works on the st :biker:

Back
Top Bottom