Best ST1300 Tank Bag

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Which Bags Connection Bag do you use? Does it hinder the steering when riding?

Thanks
I actually have two of 'em. This is the model I'm currently using and have been using for the paST several years. linky here It does not in any way hamper normal STeering while riding. When I wish to "cut donuts" admittedly a "parking-lot-only" maneuver, moving the bars "from-lock left-to-lock right" I do remove the bag. Additionally, with the bag in place, there is no interference with the horn button when holding to "left lock".

Happy to help - it is truly a fully functional setup.

Cheers,

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #
I use a Rapid Transit Recon strap mount now. I had a mag mount one that I really liked but nearly lost it twice on a ride in the Sierras due to side winds.:(

My Recon is now discontuined but the new 11 liter Recon is similar in size but without the top map pocket. Several others have the map pouch. The water proof cover is intergrated into the front of the bag so you always have it. It touches the bars slightly at full lock but doesn't honk the horn, I also have MCL riserbacks. I unlatch the front and flip it back onto the seat when I gas up. It stays attached at the back so it won't fall on the ground. They also have a nice pad for the tank much like the mag mount type.

Overall pleased with the smaller size that carries all I need handy right in front of me, like camera,phone,IPod,snacks and a bottle of water. Also dosen't block the view of the GPS and fits the lines of the Honda ST1300 tank nicely.

NewEnough link here with more info on Rapid Transit tankbags:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/all_types/rapid_transit/

Attachments

Bike
Red
I have just purchased the Joe Rocket Manta in red. It fits perfectly on the tank and my MCL risers don't interfere. I didn't need a lot of room, but just wanted a place for the things you want to reach while on the bike. I got mine for $45 with free shipping on Ebay. I am very happy with the fit and application. I bought some of the rubber mesh from Aerostitch to go under the bag, but the magnets are well padded and nothing is going to slip.

Regards,
Gordon
Ditto. My red Joe Rocket Manta goes great with my red ST. Bag flows great with the tank and you can dang near move the bike with the tank bag. That's how strong the magnets are. I'm always careful not to leave the bag on overnight or so, as I fear it might damage the finish on the tank. It might not, but that's just me.

Bike
Super Tenere
I'm also looking for a tank bag. Reading thru this thread gave me some good information. I noticed looking through my options that all the tank bags advertise rain covers. Do they make waterproof tank bags? -JEP-

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Looking at the Luggage Locker and the Bags Connection. Looks like the BC is a lot more $$$.
Anyone seen both to compare?

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Looking at the Luggage Locker and the Bags Connection. Looks like the BC is a lot more $$$.
Anyone seen both to compare?
I have owned both... :eek::

I think,,, for me??? The Luggage Locker on the ST works a shade better...

The Luggage Locker you have a key instead of a quick release cord but,,, you know the Tank bag ain't going anywhere...

If you do the Luggage Locker wrap Velcro around the key,,, and the ruff side Velcro in your right glove box near the top... Handy place for the key that way when ya stop... ;)

Also,,, get the upgraded material... it looks like leather and takes rain and abuse far better...

Bike
ST1300
Buy 1 that is waterproof, a map window, and really nice but not mentioned, mine has a zipper on each side where the magnets are that are just right to put just a few dollar bill,s in for toll roads and toll bridge,s

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I have owned both... :eek::

I think,,, for me??? The Luggage Locker on the ST works a shade better...

The Luggage Locker you have a key instead of a quick release cord but,,, you know the Tank bag ain't going anywhere...

If you do the Luggage Locker wrap Velcro around the key,,, and the ruff side Velcro in your right glove box near the top... Handy place for the key that way when ya stop... ;)

Also,,, get the upgraded material... it looks like leather and takes rain and abuse far better...
Thanks ACL. I think I'm going for the LL with the upgraded material. Do you have any pics of the bag off with just the ring showing on the tank?
Do you use the rain cover?

Bike
09 ST1300
STOC #
I had purchased this tank bag from motopak when I had my vfr
http://www.motopakluggage.com/gt35.html

The motopak bags are great, it seems to have held up well. I finally got a chance to throw it on the bike yesterday and if I move it far enough back my steering isn't hampered to much. I can almost go lock to lock. BTW I should mention that I just use the lower tank bag not the whole thing. I think I'd need to install airplane hazard lights if I did that :p:

Maverick

Goose
Bike
ST1300 (2007)
Sad to say i have a tank bag for Yamaha :) works great, magnetic mount, shoulder strap to carry like a pack sack, map pocket on top, two side zipper pouches and one major pocket in the middle. Easy on and off so I can remove at restaurants etc. I carry tons of gear including full format digital camera and digital video camera, gloves, weather bag and of course everything the wife can load into it :) See link to pictures ... http://gallery.me.com/cbchitty#100151

FYI ... I use mine all the time as its much handier than getting into the top box or side bags.

Good hunting ....

Brad

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I ended up with the LL and happy with it.
The bars contact the left side barely but not the right. I am using the OEM risers though.
I also ended up getting the upgraded material.
How is the clearance with the handle bars? Do you have risers? Most of the tank bags I have tried wind up activating the horn on sharp turns.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
No, I don't have risers. It doesn't contact the horn button. Not sure how different it would be with risers. The bag is much larger than the Bags Connection.

Del

Sad to say i have a tank bag for Yamaha :) works great, magnetic mount, shoulder strap to carry like a pack sack, map pocket on top, two side zipper pouches and one major pocket in the middle. Easy on and off so I can remove at restaurants etc. I carry tons of gear including full format digital camera and digital video camera, gloves, weather bag and of course everything the wife can load into it :) See link to pictures ... http://gallery.me.com/cbchitty#100151

FYI ... I use mine all the time as its much handier than getting into the top box or side bags.

Good hunting ....

Brad

Brad can I get a little more info on your bag please? Looks like a nice fit, really like the large map pocket. How did you find and size it, does it hit the horn or starter?
Thanks,
Michael

Top Bottom