Gravel??

corky51

loST
Bike
07 ST1300
Love my new 07 ST. Major step up from Virago and even CBR1100XX. Wife loves the large backrest on the topbox.
I have a question for you "old" ST'ers. How the heck do you ride this ST on gravel? I tried it out to be prepared last week for couple of miles in loose gravel. The most scary experience of my riding. I was all over the place, had to stop for oncoming traffic. You have the same experience??

I get to start and end every ride with a little gravel section (my driveway!)

Ride it like it's just a big, fat dirtbike with worn out tires on it! :biker: As with any bike in loose gravel, it's gonna be a hand-full! Stand up, get your weight back and keep the front wheel from plowing is about all you can do. Us a lower gear to allow for engine braking.

And (hopefully) don't drop it! :eek:

+1 relax and "dirt bike" it. It's gonna squirm, let it.
Standing and getting your weight back help.
The front brake is not your friend.

Many here say ride like your on a "dirt bike!" Well, some of us never did dirt biking. I've ridden over 300,000 mi. and never did dirt biking. But, gravel comes in different grades. Small packed gravel-not too bad. Six in. deep...boulder size, freaks me still. I just stay away from it. But...as most say...use the rear brake, stay out of the crowns of gravel, try to use paths flattened by cars, and do not lock the arms on the handlebars. I hate the stuff. Sand...a whole 'nother story!! The guys who DO ride dirt...they know the game!

Oh yeah....try down on the River Front, here in Savannah. All bricks laid down in early 1900's. So uneven that when I exited the River Front, up a 9% grade, I had to look at my trousers....'cause I thought I'd wet me britches!!! That bad-scary!!!

I don't know if standing will work if you're 2up...
But, just before I stand on the pegs I take a big pinch of the seat between my cheeks... :eek:
:)

I guess I'm the opposite of most here... I try to keep my speed up so the front wheel doesn't bog down.

Doug I was there last year. It's tough to walk down there and it's a cliff up to the main street :22yikes:
Gets harder after the bars close to :capwin:

1/4 mile gravel driveway here. After awhile you don't even think about it. Nice easy STEADY pace. No problem.

My fiancee and I spent a long weekend out on Martha's Vineyard last fall. Never been there so I didn't know the road system, which is basically some strategically placed paved roads acting as junctions for side roads comprised of dirt, sand or loose gravel. The house we were staying at was about a 1/4 mile off the main road and it was gnarly. The first time down it, I just told my fiancee to stay still and relax. We passed the house the first time and I was forced to try to turn around in what was basically a sand pit. Talk about fun!

All told I think I rode close to 10 or 15 miles on unpaved roads that weekend. After that I haven't flinched at the sight of gravel unless I see it in the middle of a twisty. Now THAT's a real pucker moment!

Go ride the gravel 2up it will be easier really the added weight will help stabilize the bike from dancing around as much , really it is easier 2up.

My first gravel road was south of Calgary from Highway 2 west to 22. I missed the right road at Nanton and found a road from my GPS that traversed the foothills to my intended road. About 6 km I see signs that a grader is working the road for 7 km. OMG fresh graded gravel, two up and my first gravel road ever on a motorcycle. I just relaxed and adjusted the position and speed according to how solid it felt. After the deadly grader section I discovered the rest of the road was still gravel but not yet graded. This last 20 km was much easier as the solid parts of the road were clearer and easier to follow. The bike is pretty good but gravel will float you around and it can be a bit like surfing on a shallow wave.
We did have a very memorable moment, we passed by a big pick up going the other way with 3 cowboys in the cab and that we just seen an alien look on their faces. This is not a motorcycle road and an st1300 is not a gravel road bike, never mind a couple in silver jackets and helmets on a silver bike that looks like a spacecraft. :eek:::03biker:

I really don't like gravel either.
+1 on keeping a steady speed, just not very fast. I usually end up staying right at about 25 mph. Too squirmy to go faster for me.

I don't like gravel on the ST. Try and balance it as if you were on ice and a 'little' throttle can be your friend if the front wheel starts to mush on you. It's just too big and heavy for me to dirt bike it.

Don't ? I mean, you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a 1/4 mile of dirt road to get to my washed out driveway that I ride twice a day, but given the option... I wont ride an unfamiliar dirt road. I could, but its just not fun. Last weekend I was following a numbered state highway in VT when I came to the end of the pavement and a sign that read, "winding gravel road next 9 miles". For a second I was tempted by the adventure, but I turned around and took another fine paved road !

Back
Top Bottom