CAN-Quebec: Tag

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Alright then, let's get this started in the "la belle province".

Nice spot for some cooling refreshment.1599695558481.png

Chez Mamie YoYo July 16 084.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
STrep
Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Grand Vallee on the Gaspe peninsula.
Taken from the scenic viewing area above the town.

Bike
None
STOC #
I have a very similar photo from my 2009 trip to the Gaspe Peninsula. That is a beautiful place, as is the entire Peninsula. If I had any interest in moving tags, I could have ridden out there today. I was in Mattane, catching the ferry to Baie Comeau.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I was in Mattane, catching the ferry to Baie Comeau
You were in Matane today??! Do tell, what were you doing in our corner of the world? :) That part of the country is pretty spectacular...enjoy!! Hope you get to see some whales and/or Belugas around Baie Comeau!
Sorry I'm not closer, would have been so pleased to meet up!! :)

Patty

Bike
None
STOC #
You were in Matane today??! Do tell, what were you doing in our corner of the world? :) That part of the country is pretty spectacular...enjoy!! Patty
Yes, it is very spectacular and I am enjoying it immensely. The only drawback is that my two years of high school and one year of college French occurred far too many years ago and only a small portion of the population of eastern Quebec knows (or admits to knowing) how to speak English. Fortunately, my limited French vocabulary, together rudimentary sign language, have gotten me through.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Yes, it is very spectacular and I am enjoying it immensely. The only drawback is that my two years of high school and one year of college French occurred far too many years ago and only a small portion of the population of eastern Quebec knows (or admits to knowing) how to speak English. Fortunately, my limited French vocabulary, together rudimentary sign language, have gotten me through.
Well good on ya!! Had I been around, I would gladly have offered my services as a translator! :) As for the "admits to knowing" English aspect, Eastern Qu?bec gets a bad rap, unfortunately. The truth is, folks, the farther away you get from Montreal, the fewer people actually DO speak English. Some of them can understand what you're saying, by and large, but they don't have enough grasp of the language to be confident enough to speak it/answer you. They're not being 'rebels'...they really don't speak it! No doubt you'll meet a minority of people along the way who will refuse to speak English on principle, but most folks here will make the effort.
It always rankles me a little when I hear people (not referring to you!!) say that people "won't" speak English to them here. Most of the time, they can't!!
That said, this is a truly wonderful place to visit. Great scenery, great people, great food, etc. Come one, come all!

"That said, this is a truly wonderful place to visit. Great scenery, great people, great food, etc. Come one, come all!" - I agree, perfectly said on all accounts.

Bike
None
STOC #
It always rankles me a little when I hear people (not referring to you!!) say that people "won't" speak English to them here. Most of the time, they can't!!
That said, this is a truly wonderful place to visit. Great scenery, great people, great food, etc. Come one, come all!
I am sorry that my comment elicited a "rankle" out of you. I did not mean to denigrate the people of eastern Quebec, all of whom have been as lovely during this trip as they were in 2009. I would like to try to explain why I made the comment.

I have traveled in over 30 countries outside the U. S. and am not one of those ugly Americans who expect people from other countries to communicate with me in English. However, when English is the official language, as it is in Canada, it is somewhat disconcerting to be unable to communicate with large segments of the population of Quebec. Yesterday, while waiting for the ferry, I was speaking with a rider from Drummondville who related a recent conversation he had with another rider from Quebec. That rider, who spoke almost no English, told him he felt uncomfortable during a recent ride on the Cabot Trail because "no one spoke French there". It is wonderful when an ethnic group tries to retain its identity, but when those efforts prevent (either intentionally or unintentionally) many of its citizens from communicating with the outside world, and even with citizens from other parts of their own country, I believe that is overreach. I see many similar examples in South Florida, where a non Spanish speaker feels like an alien in parts of Miami. To be fair, both on this trip and in 2009, I have had countless examples of YOUNGER people either speaking fluent English or at least being eager in their attempts to communicate with me. It appears that many members of the younger generation recognize that the world is becoming much smaller and their mastery of a language other than their native tongue will not diminish their ethnicity. To be even more fair, the "communication issue" (if I may describe it as such) becomes less prevalent as one nears Ontario, as it is the most pronounced in eastern Quebec.

That said, had the "communication issue" been a problem for me (as, quite frankly, it is for many of your fellow Canadians who live west of Quebec and refuse to visit because of it) I would not have returned. Instead, I came back to partake in the "great scenery, great people, great food" and completely agree with you that "this is a truly wonderful place to visit".

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I am sorry that my comment elicited a "rankle" out of you. I did not mean to denigrate the people of eastern Quebec, all of whom have been as lovely during this trip as they were in 2009. I would like to try to explain why I made the comment.

I have traveled in over 30 countries outside the U. S. and am not one of those ugly Americans who expect people from other countries to communicate with me in English. However, when English is the official language, as it is in Canada, it is somewhat disconcerting to be unable to communicate with large segments of the population of Quebec. Yesterday, while waiting for the ferry, I was speaking with a rider from Drummondville who related a recent conversation he had with another rider from Quebec. That rider, who spoke almost no English, told him he felt uncomfortable during a recent ride on the Cabot Trail because "no one spoke French there". It is wonderful when an ethnic group tries to retain its identity, but when those efforts prevent (either intentionally or unintentionally) many of its citizens from communicating with the outside world, and even with citizens from other parts of their own country, I believe that is overreach. I see many similar examples in South Florida, where a non Spanish speaker feels like an alien in parts of Miami. To be fair, both on this trip and in 2009, I have had countless examples of YOUNGER people either speaking fluent English or at least being eager in their attempts to communicate with me. It appears that many members of the younger generation recognize that the world is becoming much smaller and their mastery of a language other than their native tongue will not diminish their ethnicity. To be even more fair, the "communication issue" (if I may describe it as such) becomes less prevalent as one nears Ontario, as it is the most pronounced in eastern Quebec.

That said, had the "communication issue" been a problem for me (as, quite frankly, it is for many of your fellow Canadians who live west of Quebec and refuse to visit because of it) I would not have returned. Instead, I came back to partake in the "great scenery, great people, great food" and completely agree with you that "this is a truly wonderful place to visit".
No, no, I wasn't 'rankled' by your comments, I totally get what you're saying! :) I was referring to a blanket statement I've heard many times that people don't speak to you in English because they won't (not because they can't) - but I certainly didn't think you were saying that.
Also agree with you about the communication issue that gets created and "overreach" and yes, the younger generation is now very aware of the benefits of speaking more than one language and being able to communicate and do business with the rest of the world.
You're not entirely correct about the 'official language' though. The two official languages of Canada are English and French, although the farther west you go, the fewer people speak French (apart from the substantial French-speaking communities across Canada, including in Ontario, the Maritimes and Manitoba). The official language of Quebec, however, is French and its use is enforced by law - in fact, businesses are fined for using English in the workplace (which is definitely a bone of contention for the one million English-speaking Quebecers). And yes, the farther east and away from Montreal you get, the less English you'll hear. No lack of friendly smiles, though! :)

Bike
None
STOC #
The two official languages of Canada are English and French, although the farther west you go, the fewer people speak French (apart from the substantial French-speaking communities across Canada, including in Ontario, the Maritimes and Manitoba). The official language of Quebec, however, is French and its use is enforced by law - in fact, businesses are fined for using English in the workplace (which is definitely a bone of contention for the one million English-speaking Quebecers).
I did not know that. It helps explain a lot of the "issues" I was discussing.

On a different note (not related to language), today I rode Highway 172 west from Highway 138 (just north of Tadoussac) to Saguenay. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous and the ride was so incredible that I had to add it to my "best roads in North America" list. I then rode past Saguenay, through Alma and around Lac-Saint-Jean. I was amazed to see so many beautiful little communities and was equally amazed by the prosperous agricultural community. I continue to be stunned (and very pleasantly so) by this part of your beautiful province and am so very happy I decided to head north to see what this area is all about. I would HIGHLY recommend it to all riders on this forum.

Top Bottom