Himalayan Tour-Mussorie to Leh (Ladakh)

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Lucky you Danny! It's hard to meet the Dali Lama anymore. He came to my high school in the early 70s and then later in '74 on a Hindi Club field trip to Dharamshalla we got to meet him again. Dharamshalla was his HQ until he started travelling the world and became involved in global issues.
Paul and George have reached Delhi and are resting at the Y out of the heat until they go out this evening.
See you all tomorrow!

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Thats a great honor, meeting the Lama! Surely a positive sign :) I visited McLeod-Ganj, its the actual place where the Monastery is located. Its got some amazing hiking/camping trails up into the mountains, if you feel like doing it! :D

I'm sure you are tempted by the Tibetan foods - The 'momos' (dumplings) are a real treat! And so are the Tibetan Yak recipies (soups, broths..)

And wow! The Cafe Racer looks real sweet! :yes:

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Took a ride today just to bond a little further with my bike and see some of the old haunts I haven't been to in 35 plus years. Some of these villages (Tatur and Deosari) were only accessible by foot, a solid days hike but now a couple hours away on the bike. Most of it is narrow, paved, extremely twisty roads and then some of it was just very narrow dirt, no guard rails, rock walls, nothing but a 100 ft. drop to the river bed below. I met a jeep truck and there was just enough room for me to squeeze by very slowly! I also met up with a few young boys selling kafel a wild fruit that grows on a tall tree. Unfortunately the Drift Ghost video camera froze up (still working on that!) but I did get a few still shots. The little girl by my bike almost got my key out...could have been bad... a helmeted old man chasing down a little girls trying to get his motorcycle key back!

Attachments

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
SO Danny did you get in to see the Lama? Great photos Fali looking forward to seeing more whenever you can post them.

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
SO Danny did you get in to see the Lama? Great photos Fali looking forward to seeing more whenever you can post them.
Thanks for the great pics, Fali.

Yes I sat with the Dalai Lama.

I believe you would have been as trilled as I was to sit cross legged on a floor crammed with beautiful people for over an hour, less than forty feet from The Holy One as he spoke of the oneness of the seven billion members of the human race.
How we need to work on our own spiritual growth not try to talk anyone else into our's or anyone else's process. We only have the ability to change ourselves, no power to change another person. (Attraction rather than promotion ....personal responsibility)
I guess since there were so many young people, he addressed the issue of sex. It is very short duration contentment. Mental and spiritual is more lasting and satisfying. Too much desire for sex is a distraction to the other two. (Tell me about it) :)
...if you must smoke the hashish, only a little as he holds his fingers out to indicate a small pinch.* :) much laughter.

I did not know what this day would bring but the last thing I would have expected was a winning ticket in the spiritual lottery.

GS3&TT2

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Too cool, I can guess what you will remember most from this trip. I hope the rest of it is as rewarding.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #

I am in back behind the woman in the pink sari.
I could have reached and touched as he slowly moved toward the stage but it would have been an awkward stretch.
He joked and engaged often as he moved along.

GS3&TT2

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks like you are all having such a great time and the Ride hasn't even started yet! Enjoy!

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Wow, you certainly do have the knack for being in the right place at the right time! How thrilling!

Bike
Had 95 11 & 06 13
Fali - great pics of your rides...
Intersting cafe racer, too!
Hey, check out the bike that Kalique, I think is his name, is working on - the blacksmith on Mullingar hill road - on the left as you go down - a bit before the first curve to the left. Has a 3-cylinder Maruti motor, I think it is in it.
Gord

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
George and my cousin Paul have arrived in Mussoorie. We're going to get out on the bikes in a bit; I'll post some pics later this PM.
Gordon, I'll check the Maruti/bike out next time in town.

Bike
2005 Concours
Fali, your trip, via pictures, is so enjoyable. It really makes me want to see it all first hand. Unfortunately that won't happen. So keep the pics coming.

Probably ought to take key out everytime you stop.

Danny, how great it was for you to actually meet the Dali Lama. I've seen him on TV before and he seems to be a very humorous person.

Be safe on your travels.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Some local scenes during our car ride from Dharasala to join with the group in Musoorie...
uploadfromtaptalk1401405741279.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401405780321.jpg

And this stuff was a common weed on the side of the road for most of the 10 hour ride. Just so you know, I did not inhale. :)
uploadfromtaptalk1401405910519.jpg

GS3&TT2

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
And this stuff was a common weed on the side of the road for most of the 10 hour ride. Just so you know, I did not inhale.
Now you've gone & done it, Danny!! Tell Fali that there are 43,560 people signed up for the next tour!! I sure hope they have plenty of :popcorn over there!:p:

John

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
And this stuff was a common weed on the side of the road for most of the 10 hour ride. Just so you know, I did not inhale.
You will prolly see fields of it as I am betting they are sensible enough to use the hemp strain for fabric, rope and the like.

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
The gang is all here!
I had to explain to Danny that most of that green stuff was used for hemp rope only. They could find some meditational help in Haridwar or Rishikesh if needed. George,Paul, Tashi and I got a short ride in this afternoon. While we were away Danny and John showed up at Doma's Inn. It was a great reunion!

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Wow Fali, I bet it was a great reunion!!
You guys just need someone named Ringo to tag along! ;)

Thank you for taking us on the trip with you guys!! You should have good luck, Danny has been brushed by the Holy One (what a lucky bugger)

Top Bottom