Himalayan Tour-Mussorie to Leh (Ladakh)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Last year while I was visiting India my friend Tashi Nima, owner/operator of Built to Ride, approached me about getting him some US connections for his motorcycling touring business. His dad has been in the regular touring business since 1994 and Tashi wanted to start a motorcycle touring branch. The Himalayas offer spectacular scenery and some very adventurous roads so I was all in! Initially he wanted at least 8-10 individuals and I wanted a small group that I was familiar with for the maiden trip that I was responsible for recruiting. We will be riding the iconic Royal Enfield Bullet 500 over some good roads, some not so good roads and very poor roads. The ride will include 2 passes of 13 K feet, a 16K, a17K and 18K ft pass! After putting a few feelers out and sending some e-mails around five willing participants emerged. My cousin Paul from the UK, George Catt, Danny DiGiamio, Bruce Collins, and Danny's friend John Mickowski. Bruce very unfortunately became ill and his ride is in limbo right now. I'm still hoping that he is able to go but his Dr. has advised against it :(. Tashi has agreed to take him in August or next year.
I'm leaving for India with a lot of excitement in my heart today! My trips there are always special, visiting with my mother, catching up with old friends and relatives, and this year a 2 week moto adventure thrown in! I'm going to spend a week with my mother. The rest of the group is to arrive in Mussoorie on the 29th to spend a couple days acclimating to the altitude, the bikes and riding on the left side of the road. We will take a few short rides during these days before we start on the real tour. The adventure has already begun as they had a late snowfall and the Bara Lacha pass has been closed with 30 ft of snow and we are being forced to take a different route to Leh that will have it's own trials! The plan is to return on the original route as they are predicting the roads to be open by June 1.
I'll post pics here and have started a blog (first one ever) himalayantour.wordpress.com (Mussoorie to Leh 2014). Type it in your browser as I've posted without any www and you should get there. I'm new at this so forgive me, I'm sure I'll get better as the days go by.
I'll try and find time to post a couple sample pics from previous trips to give you all an idea of what's coming up for us.
And so the adventure begins....

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Jealous. Hope you guys have a safe trip. It should be a thousand memories per mile ridden.
Mike

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Alan, I've budgeted $6000, that's flight, tour, and pocket money. The tour is pretty much all inclusive with bikes, rooms, some food included. Fali didn't mention, but a tour of the Taj Mahal is included when we get back to Delhi.

I'm leaving on Monday, 5-26, be home on 6-18 (before leaving again on 6-21 for my grand daughter's B-Day in Chi-Land. :D)

This promises to be yet another trip-of-a-lifetime, as were our trips to Mexico and beyond, then South East Asia. Next year? Europe. Guy's gotta stay on the move. :D

Glad ya got this post going, Fali. I'll check out the Blog site soon. I'm following a couple other trips at wordpress, seems to work pretty well. :D

I'm carrying only a tablet this trip, so won't be posting many pics unless someone else can upload a few of mine. The camera on the table is pretty lame. It works great for e-mail and GPS tho, plus it's light and small. I'll take the usual number of photos with my Canon and build an album when I get home.

If this works as planned, I'm sure Tashi will have many more dates from which to choose. I might do similar again in 2016 as STrayCatt wants to go back.

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Atlanta International AP. Waiting for the flight to New Delhi via Amsterdam.
Scheduled arrival in New Delhi: 1:20 AM Friday morning.
John gets to the same hotel later the same morning out of London.
Looking forward to a great trip and lots of memories.
Thanks for starting the thread, Fali.

Kept my checked bag to 31 pounds and nothing vital for the first several days in it. Yay!

GS3&TT2

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Alan, I've budgeted $6000, that's flight, tour, and pocket money.
Dang George, my trip to Hawaii was more than that! Sheesh, wait until I tell my wife, instead of taking her to Hawaii for our 40th, look what I could have done with that much money! On second thought, I better not! :eek:4:

You guys have fun and I'll be looking forward to the adventures as you go!

:bigpop:

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Riding the Himilayas - That'll be a great trip ! Have fun on those Enfields !! Look forward to Posts & Pics.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Just switched my window seat with a Russian gal who wanted to sit with her mother. We are all going to have to get along for the next 8.5 hours to Amsterdam so it is fine...and I am at close to the terlet as you can get.
Going off into the wild blue now.
See ya!

GS3&TT2

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dang George, my trip to Hawaii was more than that! Sheesh, wait until I tell my wife, instead of taking her to Hawaii for our 40th, look what I could have done with that much money! On second thought, I better not! :eek:4:

You guys have fun and I'll be looking forward to the adventures as you go!

:bigpop:
Yeah, but yours was for 2 people, and I'll bet yur hotels were more fancy. :D

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
High marks for Delta/ KLM for a surprisingly uneventful flight w/O the usual baggage "delay".
Limo pickup perfect for the 2:00 AM tour of the truck traffic in New Delhi.
I am thumbing this in the lobby of the New Delhi YMCA while waiting for John and Fali to arrive.
Good thing A.C. units are up and running. :)

Remember: New Delhi is 9.5 hours ahead of eastern time.

GS3&TT2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Hey guys I'm in Mussoorie; got and gave my Mom a big hug! Sure is good to see her. Enjoying a cup of afternoon tea with her catching up on all the Sr. citizen gossip.
Tashi picked me up at the DehraDun airport about noon. Both my flights were as good as could be, lots of extra room on the flight over from the US. Local flight was full but they didn't charge me for being overweight on my luggage. Good to see Danny and John made it Delhi this AM. Walking up to Tashi's n the AM to pick up the bike and hook up the electrics. Hard to think that we might need heated liners when it is so hot in Delhi and Dehra! Road reports are signalling that we will have a couple adventurous stretches on our ride in to Leh! See you guys soon!

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Big storm blew in from the North West last night, lots of wind, hail, rain. Cleared off this morning and it's about 10 degrees cooler than it was yesterday. Took a 3 mile walk early morning. skies were blue but a brisk wind from the NW. Couldn't see the Snows so I'm not sure they got fresh snow or rain. About to make the 800 ft. climb up to Tashi's place to get the bike. I'll have to carry my helmet and jacket...I'll look at it as an exercise in altitude acclimation!
Danny and John are in Delhi. I believe Danny is getting some dental work done and I'm not sure if john is travelling on elsewhere. George I'll see you on the 29th either here in Mussoorie or the Airport in Dehra.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Awesome trip. I'm jealous. Definitely keep the updates coming!!! I'm hoping to do a ride like this in the near future.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
John and I finished a lovely Indian breakfast and now await a taxi for the day at about 12 USD to do errands including getting (in my case) a sim card and for John, a local phone.
Internet is at least as frustrating as any other foreign country I've been too so this is a lucky shot if it posts. :)
Latest news from Tashi is that the weather may have to force a change in riding itinerary due to road conditions in the mountains. He works on alternatives now.
I would not want to have his job at this time. (Of course, I wouldn't want anyone's job right now :) )
Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

GS3&TT2

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Another snow fall above the inner line, several tourists got stranded at the Rohtang pass over night. The other route to Leh has a few troubled spots also. Part of the road has been restricted to one way traffic on alternate days. Tashi will give you all the details; it looks like we will leave on the 31st instead of the 1st so we can be at the Sonmarge gate early morning of the 3rd so we can get ahead of the crowds. They way I look at is we get an extra day of riding!:) I know Tashi has been on the phone a lot trying to confirm dates and make new reservations, etc. Good thing is tht we have sunny days coming up and the snow will melt off pretty quick.
We got the bikes cleaned up and ready today. The black ones do look nice! We are trying to put 500 Km on them so they can have their first service completed. One of them had less than 200 Km on it!

Top Bottom