1st post after my intro and 1st longer ride but issues on the horizon. SNOW???

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Hi everyone. I have completed most of the add ons except the bar risers didn't come in yet but my trip is planned, and underway. I left my house today at 1715 due to a family commitment. Late starts are not the best but oh well I am riding. Since i bought this bike a month ago, I have only put 100 miles on it. Today my trip to warmer climate south begins. I travel 3 hours at a good rate of speed and not a drop of rain but a lot of wind. I arrive in Hinton Alberta, just east of the Rocky Mtns, and get the onlyhotel room left. Lucky because I was getting quite chilled as the cloud cover and sun disappearing made the ride in the dark. Anyways checking the weather for tomorrow...snow flurries! I am not sure how well these things handle on snow and ice and I don't want to trial this after only having 400 miles in this bikes seat. Oh well up in the morning to check the snow forecast and see if I can get through. I will post in Celsius and now it is only 2 here. 0 is freezing. High of 5 in this area tomorrow. Might be stuck but I hope not. I'll post further later and maybe have a photo or 2, hopefully not of my snow covered bike. Later.

Attachments

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I have heated gear from my last bike and it works well, if you wear it that is. Tomorrow I will be decked right out in my finest and hope the tires stick to the road. Thanks Jim. I need to post my stereo retrofit that I did yesterday. Seems to work really well so far.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Snow ... BTDT too many times. You'll likely be fine as long as the snow is only wetting the road.

Once it starts building slush on the road, you're in high risk. If you find that while you're at the motel, stay there; if you find that while you're out riding, stay in another vehicle's tire tracks and slow down. Of course, overpasses or other (bridges, culverts) will freeze first and those are your biggest risk.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
How much snow last night???? Saw the national weather and looks like you got some.

ToddC

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Thanks for the refresher on the snow riding. Here s an update on the trip so far. Left Hinton to travel through Jasper park at 8 in the morning. There had been no rain or snow overnight as forecast although the clouds to the west were dark and low overcast. I suited up with layers as I was cold and just above freezing. About 30 minutes into the ride, the pavement turned very wet, the temp stayed 5C and a very short lived minor amount of sleet hit the windscreen. I think I just timed it right and was able to get between the weather. Lucky me. I rode about 3 hours and suddenly the clouds were gone, the temp rose rapidly to 19C and the rest of the 5 hours that day was fantastic! That was to Kelowna BC. Today I left Kelowna, went south and west, crossed the border at sumas and not sit in a hotel by Seattles Seatac airport. Off to the Museum of flight in the morning and then head towards Reno for the air races on the 14th. So far I put just over 1700 kms to this point I have found a few tricks on comfort riding long distances on the bike although I am hoping the bar risers will help a bit. Well another long day tomorrow and see where I end up. I love my ST!

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well it's been fun but here I sit stranded in Boise with a blow rear tire. Had my bike put on a deck truck and brought to Boise from 178 miles south on US95. I am sure hoping this Canyon Honda has a new rear tire for me this morning or I will need to shout out for help here. What a long day yesterday. And still 1300 miles to home...image.jpgimage.jpg

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Don't let them tie off to your handle bars again. They aren't very sturdy. Next time take the cover off the tip over wings and tie off from the crash bars.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Don't let them tie off to your handle bars again. They aren't very sturdy. Next time take the cover off the tip over wings and tie off from the crash bars.
Great advise. Never thought of that. Who would have thought I would need a tow, new tires just before this trip and a full service on a bike with 6000 miles on her. Oh well thanks for the great advise

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I cringed too when I saw the tie-off to the handlebars and also given how tight I see the straps. The handlebars are mounted on rubber isolators, and the overall structure isn't designed for that.

What happened with that blowout?! That looks to be a BT023 Battleax with lots of tread left. What tire pressure were you running? Miles on it? Date code on the sidewall? :)

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just had them mounted before this trip about 3000 kms ago. I had 42psi front and rear as the manual says. I actually hit a piece so steel of some sort on the road I believe and may have some inside Once I can get to the dealer today and hope for a tire in STock I will look for the date. Fingers crossed there is a tire in town.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Chances are high there's an appropriate tire in Boise, for 2 reasons: 1) lots of dealers, 2) tires drop-shipped come out of Boise (there's a large distributor warehouse there somewhere).
:)

But you may be charged quite a bit! :eek:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
But you may be charged quite a bit! :eek:
Egads! The tow bill alone must have been enough to pay for gas on a long trip.

Sorry to hear.

I carry a tire repair kit to avoid this, but if you hit a big chunk of steel, gummy worms won't work.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I thought I was well prepared but yes this is more than a plug. The tow bill...well CAA or AMA lightens the loads a bit so a good thing to have. My biggest concern now is to get a tire on a Saturday morning and get to ride, not sit in a big city without wheels. Like I have said on this trip, It is not about the destination, it is about the journey. Just one more thing to add to my story I get to tell my family and friends when I get home. What a gorgeous country in the Northwest. Just like the west of Canada.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
If you get your tire today.....and are headed north.....go north thru McCall ID towards Lewiston ID. Great ride. I can offer a free night and food to help with that new tire cost.....:). About 5 hours north of Boise.

ToddC

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
That's a nasty looking blow out! How fast were you going when it let loose? Glad it's nothing worse than a tire and a tow bill.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Thanks everyone! It's fixed thanks to the great service at canyon Honda in Nampa. Todd C thanks for the offer. Heading north towards you but not sure if we can meet up. Thanks all. On the road again!!!

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
St11ray, I was slowed to 45 just crossing the border on US95 from Nevada to Oregon. Bike wobbled but a good save. Luck might have had a large part in this as well.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks everyone! It's fixed thanks to the great service at canyon Honda in Nampa. Todd C thanks for the offer. Heading north towards you but not sure if we can meet up. Thanks all. On the road again!!!
Ya Hoo! On the road again. Raining here now, suppose to stop by 2pm. Nice tomorrow. I'll keep a eye on this post.

ToddC

Top Bottom