Short Scotland Trip.

Bike
VStrom 650
This all started when a "shedding" mate said, fancy a barbie, the answer was obviously yes, you don't get a body like this without eating, sausages, burgers and ribs. Then he said, we're in Oban. See you Saturday was my reply, we'll be coming on the bike.
Saturday arrived and the weatherman said dry, so it obviously p....d it down until Stirling but the weather gods then brought us some sun. We rode up to the Green Welly stop in Tyndrum, fueled up the BeaST and stocked up with Smidge ready for the midge invasion, which thankfully never arrived.
The Pass of Brander was glorious and before you knew it we were in Benderloch, Oban. Time for tea and biccies at Mrs Miggings fine B and B.
Picture is of Brander and Er'Indoors.
A good Barbie was had by all and one or two amber nectars were consumed. The sunset was amazing from the Tin Tent. We said our goodbyes and staggered back to Mrs Miggins's.
The next day saw us ride upto Moidart, a pleasant if slow ride on Scottish, almost, single track roads. These are major roads about 9 feet wide with passing places. The passing place is usually a gravel filled pull in about the length of a car. The ride was stunning, the views incredible. We stayed at a Restaurant with Rooms that night at Mingarry, we ate Venison figuring that would be one less to hit the following day.
The next day, picture above, we rode up to Mallaig with a view to catch the ferry to Skye. Unfortunately every German and French tourist had the same idea which meant the ferries were full and we didn't fancy a six hour wait for a ten minute journey. So back to Glenfinnan for tea and tiffin, no hardship.
Picture is at Glenfinnan overlooking Loch Shiel. Stunning or what.
The Road to the Isles then took us to Fort William and onto Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness for the night.
The next sunny day saw us strike for home and we took the back rods through Tomintoul and Braemar which again was truly amazing and the road would challenge many an Alpine pass. We will be back to this Cairngorm region, it needs further exploration. We arrived back home in good time after about six hours riding that day.
If there's a nicer 700 mile ride anywhere we are yet to find it. Hope you enjoy.
Upt'North.

Bike
'99 ST1100 AX
This all started when a "shedding" mate said, fancy a barbie, the answer was obviously yes, you don't get a body like this without eating, sausages, burgers and ribs. Then he said, we're in Oban. See you Saturday was my reply, we'll be coming on the bike.
Saturday arrived and the weatherman said dry, so it obviously p....d it down until Stirling but the weather gods then brought us some sun. We rode up to the Green Welly stop in Tyndrum, fueled up the BeaST and stocked up with Smidge ready for the midge invasion, which thankfully never arrived.
The Pass of Brander was glorious and before you knew it we were in Benderloch, Oban. Time for tea and biccies at Mrs Miggings fine B and B.
Picture is of Brander and Er'Indoors.
A good Barbie was had by all and one or two amber nectars were consumed. The sunset was amazing from the Tin Tent. We said our goodbyes and staggered back to Mrs Miggins's.
The next day saw us ride upto Moidart, a pleasant if slow ride on Scottish, almost, single track roads. These are major roads about 9 feet wide with passing places. The passing place is usually a gravel filled pull in about the length of a car. The ride was stunning, the views incredible. We stayed at a Restaurant with Rooms that night at Mingarry, we ate Venison figuring that would be one less to hit the following day.
The next day, picture above, we rode up to Mallaig with a view to catch the ferry to Skye. Unfortunately every German and French tourist had the same idea which meant the ferries were full and we didn't fancy a six hour wait for a ten minute journey. So back to Glenfinnan for tea and tiffin, no hardship.
Picture is at Glenfinnan overlooking Loch Shiel. Stunning or what.
The Road to the Isles then took us to Fort William and onto Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness for the night.
The next sunny day saw us strike for home and we took the back rods through Tomintoul and Braemar which again was truly amazing and the road would challenge many an Alpine pass. We will be back to this Cairngorm region, it needs further exploration. We arrived back home in good time after about six hours riding that day.
If there's a nicer 700 mile ride anywhere we are yet to find it. Hope you enjoy.
Upt'North.
Aye, that's why WE call it "God's Country" ... ... I wanna go home now, Newfoundland is beautiful on a sunny day, but they are few and far between ... ...

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Aye, that's why WE call it "God's Country" ... ... I wanna go home now, Newfoundland is beautiful on a sunny day, but they are few and far between ... ...
Riding down through Tomintoul and Braemar through the Cairngorns was a real surprise. We decided to keep off the A9 for obvious reasons but the road is stunning and when I said it rivals Alpine passes I wasn't kidding. We will pay it a visit when the weatherman allows, so 2027 perhaps. The most impressive roads were around the ski areas. Glad you liked the views of the old place.
Upt'North.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Good read. You obviously did the correct rituals before setting out - a largely dry trip with no midges....

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Brings back many good memories! Oban - Home of McCaig's Folly -

UP, we didn't go into Oban this time, when we got to that bridge, if it's the same bridge, we headed North to Benderloch and the promise of beer and food. The next day we continued North to Port Appin and Fort William etc. I don't know the last time you were here but the Highlands and Islands are getting very busy in the summer. Hence we went onto Moidart where pretty much nobody goes.
The NC500 and bleeding Harry Potter are a curse.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Nice photos of a brilliant place.

And then some. I'm appalled at how this group of 5 characters ahs transformed the highlands. Its impossible to find decent accommodation unless you book 6 moths in advance, and the establishments seem to charge top dollar for a quality of service which is way below the level that I would expect. Fortunately I have an alternative - the JFH2000 which coincides with the NC500 only in some places. And I keep quiet about that so that it is nice and traffic free the next time I want to ride it !

Yes, that's on the JFH2000

- but of course you have to put up with the road surface, you need a big fuel tank 'cos there aren't any petrol stations on the route, it is infested with midges and can have inclement weather, high cross winds, torrential rain, seriously low summer temperatures, and can attract thick low lying hill mist. In my opinion it was an excellent decision by the NC500 planners to give this one a miss.

There, I think that should do it. ;)

And if any st-owners members want to see just how bad this ride is, PM me for a link of a sped up video (4x) from June this year. (Once it has uploaded to YouTube)
We got to Glenfinnan at about 1100 after finding the ferry to Skye booked until 2021, the car parks were already full and they were turning folk away. Thankfully the chap was a very pleasant old Scot who appreciated a pleasant "good morning" and a freebie spot was delivered without issue.
But yes it is a pain finding accommodation which is half decent and isn't many, many pounds a night. We found a couple of gems this time which will do very nicely on other visits.
We sat outside a cafe just south of FW on the Sunday morning and I presume this is on the NC500 (which we tried to avoid throughout), in the time it took to drink a cup of char a hundred bikes must have gone past us. After FW we only saw 2 for the next 24 hours.
Blummin wizards.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
We got to Glenfinnan at about 1100 after finding the ferry to Skye booked until 2021,
we booked the ferry online that morning and were able to get an afternoon ticket for car+passenger, but they were getting fairly rare that close to departure time and the later times were sold out.

Would have been nice to meet up somewhere along our routes, but my vacations typically run at a pretty hectic pace. That plus two flat tires a week apart on the rental car (no spare, towed back to rental office) kinda killed any free time to deviate from our original plans/schedule. Fortunately the tires remained inflated the entire time we were in Speyside.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
we booked the ferry online that morning and were able to get an afternoon ticket for car+passenger, but they were getting fairly rare that close to departure time and the later times were sold out.

Would have been nice to meet up somewhere along our routes, but my vacations typically run at a pretty hectic pace. That plus two flat tires a week apart on the rental car (no spare, towed back to rental office) kinda killed any free time to deviate from our original plans/schedule. Fortunately the tires remained inflated the entire time we were in Speyside.
Doug,
This was our first time in Speyside on the way back wom (home), we were very impressed, both with the roads and scenery. We will explore more when weather/time allows.
To be honest we hadn't really planned to go to Skye, we were just roaming and Glenfinnan on a sunny morning made up for it.
I don't know if it was busier than you thought but Scotland is damn popular these days. Skye was a fabulous location about 25 years ago, no bridge, only single track roads and some unmade.
Hope you all enjoyed your visit.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don't know if it was busier than you thought but Scotland is damn popular these days. Skye was a fabulous location about 25 years ago, no bridge, only single track roads and some unmade.
Ray, I'm from SoCal, everything looks less crowded to me than home so Scotland looked almost uninhabited by my frame of reference. I stopped at several distilleries for a dram and encountered surprisingly little company. Talisker was a bit crowded, and Aberlour is so small that even the 6 people who were there made it feel a bit cramped, but everywhere else was very relaxed and uncrowded, even Macallan. Did you visit Macallan by any chance?? What an impressive facility that was, even though the people working there were a bit too fancy for my taste. Excluding the two flat tire incidents we really enjoyed our visit. Also, I think I got a much wider exposure to different whiskies at hotels/bars/etc. but at the distilleries I was able to try a few drams of 'unobtainable' expressions for a very fair price.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Ray, I'm from SoCal, everything looks less crowded to me than home so Scotland looked almost uninhabited by my frame of reference. I stopped at several distilleries for a dram and encountered surprisingly little company. Talisker was a bit crowded, and Aberlour is so small that even the 6 people who were there made it feel a bit cramped, but everywhere else was very relaxed and uncrowded, even Macallan. Did you visit Macallan by any chance?? What an impressive facility that was, even though the people working there were a bit too fancy for my taste. Excluding the two flat tire incidents we really enjoyed our visit. Also, I think I got a much wider exposure to different whiskies at hotels/bars/etc. but at the distilleries I was able to try a few drams of 'unobtainable' expressions for a very fair price.
We didn't stop at any distilleries this time, saw the sign for Aberlour and we rode through the Glenlivet Estate.
We did our bit to reduce the stock of the hotels and bars too. I seem to remember enjoying aTomintoul and a Tobermory more than the others.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom