Does a commute rate for a ride report?

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
IIRC the forecast was for 36 degrees, rain snow mix. I did work later than planned.
Tonight when I go to leave work it’s 34. I sweep the slush off the bike saddle, not good but the street looks plenty good.
Get on the highway and it is snowing for real and drops to 32.
The road is salted well enough, I am doing 45mph with flashers. Cars passing slowly due to blinding rate of snow. I watch the water coming off the cars tires passing me and listen to the wet sound of water for some assurance of traction.
A car getting pulled out of the ditch I take as a sign of texting while driving, but just parking is starting to look good as the snow is just becoming visible on the road. I also wonder how off road tires might help. I could have a winter ST with regular tires and a winter ST with off road tires.
I have enough of them.:)
Its nice spending time on the highway and considering these things.
I do make it to my side street.
I take the turn at a gingerly 2 mph. Upon seeing the condition, no way but hey, I’ll do something dangerous safely. I’ll go slow and know it’s a crap shoot. The chance of getting hurt is pretty low. And I have tip over bars, so the chance of the bike getting hurt is pretty low.
15 mph, a mile short of home, as steady as can be but the front wheel just washes out.
It was at most a half inch of snow but it was slick slush under the tires.
A passerby helps me get the bike up, a couple friends answer my call for help, btw, I called them so I 812896F8-31B4-4783-861C-01A5A9816C68.jpegD49883E7-11ED-4B6D-B626-54B3D915BDA8.jpegsneak home without alarming my wife, anyway we get the bike aimed the right way and I proceed at 3 mph to a neighbor’s driveway and park it. Then I find out they called my wife to say “he laid his bike down.”
She didn’t know what that meant but as long as I was ok she could go back to sleep.
I am fine, the bike is fine.
The neighbor where I parked, he is such a jokester, I am going to get razzed tomorrow.
All in all another great day to get in a ride.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Glad you are ok. Even in a tip over, one can get hurt. If nothing else, when the bike goes south, you can end up trapped with your leg pinned. I put the bike away once salt hits the roads. Shaker, Beachwood, and P Pike all brag that they will have 'wet' roads when it snows - that means they lay down an inch of salt and/or brine laced w/ sugar for each expected inch of snow. Cars (and bikes) dissolve as you drive. Not sure what they do out east of LaDue, sprinkle whey on the roads with the salt?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I put the bike away once salt hits the roads.
Ditto...
But I can relate to the OP...
Couple years back we did a tour end of October, way too late in the year... the very mild weather tricked us, till it turned, usual in the alpine region...
did the last +100 miles back home on snow covered roads; 2 up, luggage, decreased tire inflation, very slow, either kept in the tracks left by cars, or on the spaces gritted by road crews...
It got very late, thus very dark, hence very cold till we finally rolled up at the house...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you made it back as good as you did! :thumb:

Back in '85, I had moved to Palmdale CA, and I was doing my 60 mile commute home, when I go to a pass on SR14, just before Palmdale and it was snowing. Thank goodness it was light and not sticking to the road. That night I went out and bought a second car (that in itself, is a whole different story! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reactions: Obo

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
There’s a guy that rides the Dragon every winter, on a Busa, with a full set of knobbies.

John

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Over 10 years of 25 mile (each way) commutes all winter here in Minnesota has had me caught by unexpected snow a few times. Only twice has it resulted in tossing the bike. Usually following the car tire pressure melted trails gets me home.

It isn't the cold, it's only lost of traction that keeps me off the bike during winter rides. Too bad there isn't a tire that can keep the wheels under me in light snow. Once the treads get packed, it's just a snow donut.

Glad you survived without too much trouble. Picking up my ST is way harder than picking up my WR250. I park the "pretty" bikes until salt is off the roads. Dirty rides are why I have the WR but I still feel sorry for her. Sold my 2008 WR after 68,000 miles. Sold my 2015 WR after 32,000 miles. In the market for a new one before commutes start up again. (I work from home for now...stupid Co-Vid).

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
And it's not just a ride report, it's a tip over count increaser.
Ok. Duly noted. Kind of a high speed tip over at 15mph but definitely not a wreck.
Also added the one from a couple weeks ago. Lost footing moving bike on the lift. The 06A leaned gently on the work bench.
Or is that classified a “lean over”?

Bike
R1200rt
had a dirt bike with knobby tires and it wasn't very good in the snow. Should have used tire warmers.

Top Bottom