OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Woke up this morning to this! Guess im grateful i didnt leave yesterday. A few days here helping the kids and im off to lower altitudes.
As rare as it is, ive actually decided and expect to go to jushua tree ( my kids are giving me a free night is a tee pee) and then to death valley. Any death valley suggestions on camping or food/ liquids would be appreciated. Hoping to get away enough for a good peek at the stars.

C32CA3F6-A82B-4546-804A-251E66ECE1DC.jpeg555202F2-25EB-45CD-885A-D8055B5EE280.jpeg

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
BBD81B22-A6E8-4328-9E86-ACC1837105A4.jpeg65DDAA0A-B1AC-4FA6-9499-FB69A40BDB8B.jpeg

The first tee pee is the one i lived in for two years as a college kid and the second is the one my kids reserved for me for two nights starting the fifth. The first pic shows me with my 76 bonnie, the last bike i owned. I can see the mojave desert AND death valley! Gonna drop my gear and cruise!
Gonna leave here on the first or the second and see mesa verdy and a few other things along the way. Gonna do the slow mosey getting there. Its about 750 mi and im gonna stretch it! Yahoo! Who said getting old completely sucks!

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Looks fantastic! Hope Yosemite and Yellowstone are on your list. Doesn’t look like being old is a hinderance for you.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
So, you are sleeping at monument valley, right ?

I recognize the rocks at the campground.

Tomorrow morning, for breakfast, try the restaurant in goulding, near the goulding's trading post / museum and john wayne's cabin. The view is nice over the plain thru those large windows. Try the navajo bread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
So, you are sleeping at monument valley, right ?

I recognize the rocks at the campground.

Tomorrow morning, for breakfast, try the restaurant in goulding, near the goulding's trading post / museum and john wayne's cabin. The view is nice over the plain thru those large windows. Try the navajo bread.
Yea, im at gouldings. Went by the koa and felt bad for the tenters there in the sun. Rode to mex hat yesterday and loved it. Will hit the restaraunt. Thanks for the tip! Im debating the grand canyon, n rim ans s rim. Dont have to be in joshua tree until the fifth and at the speeds everyone here drives, things are much closer than they seem. I discovered, to my apologetic embarassment that there is no beer on the reservation. I should have known this.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Micheal @mmmsted,
where you are, it is spectacular everywhere. As soon as we arrive any places, we feel the urge to jump to the next, like kids in a candy store.
Take the time to enjoy monument valley's landscape. It is unique, and one of the nicest place.

I believe the north rim is still closed. It normally open after memorial day, or around 3rd week of may, because being at 8800 feet (or something) water pipes at campground still freeze at night. Or maybe it's just the campground that is closed ?
Nice campground though : in the shade, under tall ponderosa pines. The view is spectacular.
South rim is lower in altitude : 6600, or something like that.

I've made grand canyon both rims, north and south, at the end of may 2017. I camped at both campgrounds.
Despite the fact that there is only just a few miles between both rims, by road, it takes five hours.
South rim is much more touristic, almost disneyland. OK, maybe not that much. But north is much more wild.
Rigth now, south will be a bit warmer at night. You have internet access at the lodge, a market to buy some meat, etc.
Maybe you could keep the northern places (north rim, bryce, zion, death valley, etc) for your way back ?

Hey, congrats micheal !
You've been through the desert... on a horse with no name.
Does your skin started to turn red ?

Right now, the skin of your horse seems very red to me.

Chris

America - A horse with no name.

On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot, and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound
I've been through the desert
On a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert, you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
After two days in the desert sun
My skin began to turn red
After three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead
You see I've been through the desert
On a horse with no name
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
After nine days, I let the horse run free
'Cause the desert had turned to sea
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The ocean is a desert with it's life underground
And a perfect disguise above
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground
But the humans will give no love
You see I've been through the desert
On a horse with no name
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Im in Lees landing somewhare in utah along the colorado river. I was asking these guys how to pay for my spot and they said they were paid thru tomorrow but were leaving now. Freebee!!! Its a beautiful wind.
The n rim was closed as well as all of rt 67, which is 45 mi long. So i stayed on 89a, which was a hell of a nice ride and hit the landing! Im in a valley w the river running thru it!
I have three days before i have to b in yucca valley ca, so im gonna find my way to the s rim. A guy on a 2010 wing told me there were tons ov views there. After that? Who knows?
Its pretty weird here. On the left ypu pass desert and on the right you pass spectacular mountains. In the brush a coyoty passed me and with his fur, he was invisible in just a second. Saw cows and horses loose and on the road. This aint boston doris!
1EAF7E49-71F7-4EA6-B2F8-558F69ACAB42.jpegAAB77909-FB75-4397-8F81-8047EB21A791.jpegA9803E59-8566-4F53-8A65-6BA6E2F311D0.jpeg5CDC1A8F-AA74-4A81-8D52-DEEDEB35C53C.jpeg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
After three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead
I always wondered about this part of the lyrics, because in the western deserts what he was (most likely) referring to is typically called a 'wash', and its not really dead. Water flows through them when it rains, but that's infrequent enough that they dry up for long periods of time. Sometimes they can be large enough to look like a river bed, and once or twice while dirt biking in the desert I came upon one at relatively high speed and launched off the rim down into the bottom, and fortunately didn't embed myself into the near vertical bank on the opposite side.

Top Bottom