Im leaving boston

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
oh yeah. Navajo Bridge, vermillon cliff, Lees Ferry...
So, for soith rim, it will be 89 south to cameron, then 64 toward grand canyon village.
Yes, there are many viewpoint along the road.
I suggest you first book your place at the campground (mathers campground) since it is very touristic. People with RV have to book their places 6 months in advance, and I saw many turn around cause the campground was full. But, just with a small tent, it is probably more easy.

From Grand Canyon, I think you are only 2 hours away from flagstaff. Nice koa there. Otherwise, from flagstaff, the 89A is a must do road, toward sedona. I suggest Cavespring campground, along the oak creek river.
Phoenix is a few more hours away, more to the south.
Sedona also has a unique landscape to offer. Very touristic place also.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I always wondered about this part of the lyrics, because in the western deserts what he was (most likely) referring to is typically called a 'wash', and its not really dead. Water flows through them when it rains, but that's infrequent enough that they dry up for long periods of time.
Yes, me too, I'm thinking about the wash, wich are like dry river bed 99% of the time.

Knowing that this song was written in the sixties, it could also refer to the controversial construction of the Glen Canyon Dam, near page.

He is sad for the river who flowed there before, and is now dead.
The lake powell reservoir holds the equivalent of two years of the colorado flow.
The colorado itself is just a pale reflect of what it was before, when you see the giant cliff carved by it, in the past thousands years.

But... I guess if we try acid or lsd, we can understand other meanings also.
:biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
thank you!
oh yeah. Navajo Bridge, vermillon cliff, Lees Ferry...
So, for soith rim, it will be 89 south to cameron, then 64 toward grand canyon village.
Yes, there are many viewpoint along the road.
I suggest you first book your place at the campground (mathers campground) since it is very touristic. People with RV have to book their places 6 months in advance, and I saw many turn around cause the campground was full. But, just with a small tent, it is probably more easy.

From Grand Canyon, I think you are only 2 hours away from flagstaff. Nice koa there. Otherwise, from flagstaff, the 89A is a must do road, toward sedona. I suggest Cavespring campground, along the oak creek river.
Phoenix is a few more hours away, more to the south.
Sedona also has a unique landscape to offer. Very touristic place also.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
There is also another possibility.
Since he is sad, for the river who flowed there before, and is now dead, it could be a reference to the dam they put at page, and now the colorado itself is just... well, just a pale reflect of what it was before, when you see the giant cliff carved by it, in the past thousands years.
but there's still water flowing, just not at the rate that nature and gravity decided it should run, so describing it as 'dead' wouldn't apply.

After I posted my original reply it also occurred to me that in SoCal we have lots of actual named rivers that are dry most of the time, but in the context of the song I don't think they would have been the subject, since they're located in more developed areas and closer to the coast than in the open desert.

Most likely the result of a Londoner mistaking a wash for a former river.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
but there's still water flowing, just not at the rate that nature and gravity decided it should run, so describing it as 'dead' wouldn't apply.

After I posted my original reply it also occurred to me that in SoCal we have lots of actual named rivers that are dry most of the time, but in the context of the song I don't think they would have been the subject, since they're located in more developed areas and closer to the coast than in the open desert.

Most likely the result of a Londoner mistaking a wash for a former river.
U guys are way too deep. It was a good friggin song!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I haven’t looked at this thread in several days and so very nice to see that you’re having a great trip (pics are great). I feel I need to retire so I can go do the same thing unfortunately, I still have to put in another five years on the job (maybe more, maybe less, depending on how the retirement funds do). At that point I may be too old to do that kind of riding

in other news, this weekend I looked at a 2019 Goldwing (non Tour but DCT) in red and what a beautiful bike with only 4000 miles on it. It was at the local dealership. I sat on it, I enjoyed it for the time being, and then I left the dealership with a pair of new riding gloves! YOLO but it was $21K, so no for now.

Bike
2005 VFR800
Just left north jersey. 42 degrees and raining. Freezing my butt off but heading west. The rain is from the southwest andshould run out soon.
I've been there! When I want to ride my bike the weather isn't a big concern when taking off, it's one of those obstacles that feeds the adrenaline I seem to crave.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I do hope that your trip is as much fun as it seems!
I am enjoying it, and I hope you are too!
STay safe!
Thank you! Im having ball! I have a month left and plan to suck every minute out of it. Hoping to spend a week of my time cruising the dry lands.

Top Bottom