Big Bend Bash STOC Event...

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Big Bend Bash STOC Event...ride report/photos

This past week, I headed for several destinations in far west Texas and some great riding. I headed first to Balmorhea State Park, Balmorhea, Texas. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/
I was meeting Texsota Pete (up from Kerrville, Tx). Pete and I wanted to visit Carlsbad Caverns http://www.nps.gov/cave/planyourvisit/cave_tours.htm prior to meeting the STOC event to Big Bend (Big Bend Bash). https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52045

Day 1

I departed Richardson, Tx, using I20/"the slab" Tuesday morning. My trip from Richardson to Balmorhea is a long haul...and I wanted to get to the riding area...so slab it was. By 11 am it was already at 91 degrees F. The temps the rest of the day ranged from 91 to 97. It was really nice when I finally arrived at Balmorhea State Park. San Soloman Spring is the feature at the park, with a constant water temp of 76-78 year round...it was GREAT to set up camp and then plunge into the cool clear water. Balmorhea State Park is small and very user friendly. Great folks greated us at the check in. A true oasis in the very dry climate of far west Texas. Pete got to the camp site a bit late to make the plunge. The spring closes at about 7 pm....but so do the only two (well...the only two we noticed) eating establishments in the grand town of Balmorhea, Texas. A fine Mexican dinner was served up and it didn't take long, upon return to camp...to be sound asleep.

I'm going to post this trip using multiple posts. I've got lots of info and a ton of photos to share....so here's the shots from Balmorhea.

Forest

Images in no particular order:

Bike loaded
Typical FM or US hwy in far west Texas (lot of flat mixed with mountains)
Camp site at Balmorhea
Spring at Balmorhea
Cabins at Balmorhea
Sunrise over campground
Pete with bikes

Attachments

Last edited:

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Great photos Forest... I turly wish I could have been there...but I got promoted so I'm makin more money......which "Should" enable me to make for trips in the future....:crackup

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I slept well at Balmorhea State Park. It was dead quiet all night. The sunrise was beautiful. Pete and I broke camp, packed and headed for some grub. We ate breakfast at a diner featuring an Alpine theme. (ah.....it was located on a plain, in Pecos, Tx....with mountains that were visible...oh, maybe a 100 miles in any direction...but NOT close). LOL

Day 2

We then headed up the road to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. http://www.nps.gov/cave/planyourvisit/cave_tours.htm It's a beautiful place. The ride to the cave facility was very nice. The programs at the cave are very well organized. We waited for a while for Mac and Carol....but alas, they ran late and headed straight to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. We did a self guided tour that lasted a couple of hours. Great. Headsets with info are available for about $4 and the entry fee to the cave is only $8 for adults.
After the cave tour, we saddled up and headed southwest for Guadalupe Mountain National park. http://www.nps.gov/gumo/ Mellow (Joe), Mac/Carol, Trailace and his wife, George...and a cast of others to follow the next day...was the objective. Pete and I arrived and checked in at the Park Headquarters and then to the Pine Spring campground area. Mac and Carol were already set up. We found nice spots...just short of the gravel and set up camp. Wow! what a view....and WOW, WOW, WOW.....wind, wind, wind, wind. Steady wind of 35/40 with gusts to 55. Forcast for the next day was worse....and the following day...the forcast was for gusts to 70!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The plan was to climb the tallest peak in Texas the coming day. Wind isn't such a kind thing at 8749 ft. above sea level.
It was winding all night long. Dust everywhere! The dust was so fine, it would blow through the screen mesh of my North Face tent. I was covered in dust the next morning. The next morning, as everyone prepared for the climb....it was universally decided that we would break camp upon return from the climb and make the 150 or so mile ride to Davis Mountains State park...to avoid the very high winds predicted for the next day. There is NO WHERE to HIDE on the roads in west Texas....

Forest

Packing the bikes...and then images from Carlsbad...in no particular order. I shot a lot in the cave...some came out very nice...but no time to figure out which ones. I'll add a few later. A few shots from Guadalupe Mountains National Park at arrival....Headquarters...a few mountains, Pete.....etc.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
More of Day 2

Pete and I made the ride to the Pine Spring camp area...(very near the Headquarters building and just off the main entry road) and noted Mac's camp trailer and bike. Mac and Carole were exploring so we set up camp just down the road from the "bunkhouse". Mountains to the left of us, mountains to the right of us! Wow...what a view. Trailace (Rick) and his wife Vicky walked up the road and introduced themselves and Joe pulled in just about the time we headed out for gas. Shuey was on his way but was having way too much fun in the Texas Hill Country...and wouldn't get to the campground until later the next day. At just about dark o'clock, Pete and I decided we needed to run for gas (88 mile round trip for gas from the park) and eat dinner. We headed west to Salt Flat Texas. Mac told us we might find gas there....and described the pump..."you know, you have to spin the pump handle to get gas"....OK Mac...sure. Mac was just about right about the gas pump. George, seeing us filling w/gas, made a u-turn and said "hi"....and off he was, to the campground.
No food at the Flats so on to Dell City. LOL A loop road...22 miles one way into Dell City from US 180 and Salt Flat, Tx. One eating join in town (yep, Mexican food)...a dry goods store, open till 8 pm (good, we needed water for the hike up the mountain the next day)....and a lot of salt beds comin' and goin'. Dinner was great! I'll add a photo from my phone (when I find the cable) of the Mexican joint. Wow!

Forest

A few shots of the Guadalupe Mountains campsite. Rick, Vicky...and Pete.

Attachments

Last edited:

rhoying

Rick Hoying
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Great shots! I'm headed out the way May 14-17, and will end up in Ruidoso for the rally out there. I still have Carlsbad on my list of places to visit, and may make it this year.

rh.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Day 3

Eat, pack....and climb, climb....climb. The objective this day was to climb the highest peak in Texas, Guadalupe Peak. Elevation 8749 ft. above s.l. Seven climbers made the hike. 8 miles...estimated time up 4 hours (some of us made it in 3 hours!) 1 to 1.5 hours back down. It was a great day. Windy. Clear and temps were perfect for the hike.
We finished the hike, packed the bikes and headed for Davis Mountains State Park. It was just too windy to remain at Guadalupe another night. Also....Guadalupe Mountains National Park...has nice bathrooms...but no showers. LOL Lots of ST/and other bikes were already setup at Davis Mountains State park. Shuey had arrived at Guadalupe just about the time we finished the hike and made the ride with us south to Davis Mountains.

Mac, George, Joe, Rick, Vicky, Pete and yep....me made the climb. Carole is in the group start shot. All seven made it back to camp without having to use the "Mount Everest rule"...... :) We all made it back to camp.

Forest

A few morning shots before the climb. George and Mac waiting/watching water boil. :) Shots at the start of the Guadalupe Peak climb. I did not like the "one-way" sign at the start of the trail head. LOL

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
The "Climb"....more of Day 3

FIRST! I have to give a huge credit to AustinCityLimit and the "Tub of Goo" program. Mac and George are big (successful) supporters of the "Goo" program and are lean and mean. Mac and George....holy smoke....smoked this mountain. Joe was right there with them (?young and dumb?). I came in about 30 minutes behind them....but I had an excuse. I packed up 6 bottles of water and....and.....and 4 boxes of girl scout cookies (they couldn't have done it without them), raisins, peanuts, two lens and camera. (good excuse?...LOL)(nope...I'm just a tub of goo). Park estimates/recommendations say 4 to 4.5 hours up 2 hours down....these three guys hit the summit in 3 hours. Pete and Joe were right there with them as well. Rick and Vicky were right behind me. It was a great climb.

I took about 400 images....here's a few....

There was no way to hold the ST-Owners sign at the very top....the wind was rippin'...
Mac took the image of me at the top....thanks Mac!

Forest

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
A few more of the climb...

This is a very special place. The beauty of the stark landscape is incredible. That's the top of El Capitan behind the shot of Mac.....
The winding road you see in the background in some shots, is US180.

I'm off for a rehearsal. (the bummer rehearsal that brought me home early) :-( More later!

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:

mstgsaly269

R.I.P.
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 Silverwing
Great pics, looks like an awsome place, hope to get there someday but.. that climb doesn't lok like something i could of actually made.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Sally

I think it's a climb that most can make. Start early and take time. That's the key! The grade is pretty steep at times....but no "rock climbing" or nasty stuff.

Frequent breaks, lots of water and some energy food and you are there!

Forest

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Forest -

Great pics and summary. I was hoping that I would be able to make it on this trip but the broken foot scuttled this chance. However, your pictures and descriptions have convinced me and my wife this is a place we need to visit in the near future.

Thanks for your postings.

dave

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
End of Day 3...a long day!

Back down the "hill"....we were joined by Shuey, fresh from the hills of central Texas. We decided to pack up camp because of the high winds and move on the Davis Mountains State Park. We faced high cross winds most of the ride. Roads were exposed and straight as an arrow most of the way. As we neared Ft. Davis and turned onto the park road things got fun. Twisty road for about 25 miles into the park. Yipee! The road runs by the McDonald Observatory. A tour of the Observatory, hosted by Jerry Martin (owner of a bright red ST1100) was to be our objective the next morning.
When we arrived at the park....we were met with a lot of "industry". Many riders had already arrived from points N, E, W and S...riding bikes from A to Z. Several riders stayed in Ft. Davis at the Hilton (not really.......LOL). It was Mexican food (once again) for dinner. Coop and a friend were leaving the Mexican food joint as we arrived. Coop promised not to tell lies about us around the camp....Mac made him promise...

Images below of the campsite at Davis Mountains State Park....

Forest

PS.....Uncle Phil showed up at Guadalupe Mountains National park.....only to find the wild and crazy ST riders long gone. This WAS a huge problem, as Phil did (in fact) bring the PIE!!! Thank goodness he decided to made the trip to Ft. Davis and saved the evening with those pies!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Day 4

Everyone was up and about pretty early on Friday morning. The park trash truck was right on the job and went about his work on the large trash bins at 4:47 am. bang, bang, bang....coffee anyone?

The group headed for the McDonald observatory at about 8:30 am....but not until Mac offered up some really good biscuits! Tummy full, I was ready to hit that twisty road to the observatory...but wait....deer! Bicycles! and walkers...... Care was taken. http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/
The rider group met in the lower parking lot. The information/visitor center was closed. We took a few minutes for photos and then the group made the run up the mountain to the telescope. It wasn't difficult to decide which was our final destination....we had a red ST1100 sitting outside. Jerry's ST.

Jerry Martin has worked at the observatory since the mid 1980's. I asked what he did at the observatory....his answer, "a little of everything". He's really the technical optics expert on site. He keeps the mirrors CLEAN....which is a very tough and very important job. He maintains the incredible HET telescope at McDonald. This large telescope is the third largest of it's kind in the world. Jerry spent several hours with the group explaining things and answering question and question from the group. A HUGE thanks to Jerry for this special time.

After the tour, I headed for Dallas and the group went into Ft. Davis for lunch. I had to fill with gas and noticed that BBQ seemed to be the lunch of choice for the group that day.

Thanks goes to Mellow (Joe) for getting this STOC event together. What a great group of folks. I know Joe will say, "it's a success just because of the folks that show"....but he provides a lot of leadership and knows his way around the playground. Thanks Joe!! Most everyone stayed the weekend to play in the Big Bend area. I'm sorry I had to leave early. I'll be back in this great place soon.

Here's a few parting shots at the observatory. Jerry held court outside the observatory for a few minutes and then we got the "real" tour. Great!

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
From the inside....

Did I say....Jerry asked if anyone would like to "drive" the telescope? Guess who got to use the remote???? Yep....Carole!!! (since Mac doesn't have a TV....Carole said he doesn't know how to use a remote...which disqualifed him in this effort...he got to watch) :)

The final image is of Jerry standing in front of his trusty ST1100.

Thanks again Jerry.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
STOC #
I had a great time meeting everyone. You guys (and Carole) rock!
It was obvious from the level of questions asked and how quickly you grasped everything that ST-Owners are an intelligent breed.:bow1:

I hope to see any and all of you again, if you get a chance, drop in.
Love my hat, THANKS.:hat1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great report and pics Forest!

Jerry, thanks again for the excellent tour, it was great meeting you.

I just pulled in at 3:30, tired and hungry.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Joe

Glad you're home safe and sound.

Thanks for putting this trip together. I had a great time.

Forest
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Great report Forest. Carole still cannot believe Jerry let her drive that $11 million machine!!! As far as the climb goes, I was sick with a head cold last week, still a bit of cough and sniffles and made it to the top. As stated above, take plenty of water and energy food, pace your self and enjoy the views. Absolutely spectacular at each turn of the trail!!! And turn it does.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Mac

I caught your cold. Yuck! Coughing....lots of congestion. Oh well....

That was $111 million!!!! I'm pretty sure.

Take care on your way home. Stay warm!!!

Forest

Top Bottom