Big Bend Bash STOC Event...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It was actually estimated at 11 million but the final cost was 15 million.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Thanks everyone!! And that includes the Texas DOT for 118 and 170!! It was lots of fun!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I enjoyed quite a few miles on 17 also Coop!!! Thanks to Joe for turning us on to that one.
George, Jeff and I found another cool road just off 17... it dead ends and you can't go fast on it but it's just a cool road that goes into a canyon to a boy scout camp, a pretty nice one.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It was actually estimated at 11 million but the final cost was 15 million.
Joe

That's right....I was confused and thinking the % of savings of building a similar traditional telescope. HET was a huge cost breakthrough.

Forest

Last edited:

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I pulled into my driveway in OKC at 10:27 tonight. I bugged out Saturday, rode over Guadalupe Pass and headed north to Carlsbad and Artesia. From there I rode west to Cloudcroft and on to Alamogordo, finally heading back east into the mountains to find a hotel room in Ruidoso.

This morning (Sunday) I headed home to OKC via Roswell, Portales, Muleshoe (TX), Altus (OK) and finally home. I went from 95? going to Ft. Davis on Thursday to 27? riding home tonight.

This was a great ride and I really appreciate your efforts in putting it together Joe. Great pics Forest. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if there's any worth posting. Good to see/meet everyone and hope to do it again soon.

Steve

Finally got my computer to get me on line....too many thank you's to list!!!!
Joe...what a fabulous trip you organized!

Forest..great pictures,AND write-up! (I'll check mine out tomorrow and post some)

Jerry...the observatory tour was amazing! Can't believe the only woman in the group of techies was given the remote control and task of moving the telescope...WOW! It was
awesome!!

George...for sharing his meal concoctions...the green chili is still resonating in my mouth!

Pete..for offering me his bike to go shopping in Ft. Davis...good thing I didn't take you up on it, trikes are more my style.

Vicky...for showing a woman could make the Guadaloupe climb....I sure couldn't have represented the females here!

BJ....for reminding me of Pee Wee Reese's first name....love to talk to another Brooklyn Dodger fan!

Actually...my thanks go to ALL the riders who made me feel welcome, and enjoyed laughing WITH me, not AT me as I enjoyed this gathering.

And thanks to Mac....for sharing this aspect of his life with me....I can't wait for the next meet, eat, greet, and ride with this wonderful group of people!

I flew home today after Mac and I left Abilene, and he took me to Dallas airport. He made it to Tenessee tonight...many inches of snow in the motel's parking lot. He will be home to Ohio tomorrow..where he will meet more snow. Don't think it will take him too long to gather off-road gear and head back here. San Diego weather is high 70's...and dirtbike trips are calling for him.....as am I.

Ride safe babe....see you soon!
Carole

P.S. Will post pictures tomorrow.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here are the climbing pics and Here are the camping pics. I didn't ride much as I think I have a bad front tire and didn't want to push it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Joe

Thank my wife....life member of the girl scouts, troop leader for both my daughters when they were involved....regional cookie "mom"...etc. She still can't pass up an opportunity to buy boxes of cookies from each and every little munchkin that knocks on the door.
I had to get them out of the house so I don't continue my failure in the "tub of goo" program!!! LOL

Forest

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Joe, I see a couple of penny, pepsi, etc stoves in your pix. Did you have a cook-off to see which was the best? Got a nice assortment there for testing.

Top Bottom