Need help on instrument panel power loss!

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
This is why I'd be interested to find out where Scooterweb got his info from.

He wrote:

[Neutral-Oil-Tempmeter-Tachometer-Speedometer-Position-Meter Light-Tail]

This is more info than what is printed on the fuse box (Tacho is not on box for instance). And it is likely that "position" means the Headlight Motor, just not sure. I don't want to chase the motor if it is on the fuse circuit and normal to go off when the fuse is blown.
That's Scooter to you Mister!:D

I pulled the information from the wiring diagrams for the ABS version from the 2006 Setup guide that was available in PDF form on this site at one time. The lower left hand corner of the diagram lists a table for the fuse box showing the identification of the fuse (letter), fuse size, and which circuit(s) it is protecting. This is the same wiring diagram that is in the service manual but this version is much easier to read (all of the lines "line up" properly).

I did just notice though that the Standard version wiring diagram is slightly different in that the fuse that you were interested is located in position A of the fuse box.

For those of you who do not have a manual here is the fuse box listing for both the ABS and Standard versions of the 1300:

ST1300 Standard Fuse Box

A - 10A - Neutral, Oil, Tempmeter, Tachometer, Speedometer, Position, Meter Light, Tail
B - 15A - Horn, Front & Rear Brake, Passing
C - 10A - Starter, Bank Angle Sensor
D - 10A - Headlight
E - 15A - Hazard, ACC
F - 30A - Fan Motor
G - 10A - Headlight
H - 10A - Battery, Clock Back Up
I - 20A - Screen
J - 20A - FI, Ignition Coils, Fuel Pump

ST1300 ABS Fuse Box

A - 10A - ABS (Main)
B - 10A - Neutral, Oil, Tempmeter, Tachometer, Speedometer, Position, Meter Light, Tail
C - 15A - Horn, Front & Rear Brake, Passing
D - 10A - Starter, Bank Angle Sensor
E - 10A - Headlight
F - 15A - Hazard, ACC
G - 30A - Fan Motor
H - 30A - ABS (Rear)
I - 10A - Headlight
J - 10A - Battery, Clock Back Up
K - 20A - Screen
L - 20A - FI, Ignition Coils, Fuel Pump
M - 30A - ABS (Front)

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
That's Scooter to you Mister!:D

I pulled the information from the wiring diagrams for the ABS version from the 2006 Setup guide that was available in PDF form on this site at one time.
Thanks Scooter! I can see the fuse info now on the Wiring Diagram in the Shop Manual, just where you said it would be. And from what I can make out of the diagram, it looks like the headlight motor is on this fuse.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I pulled the information from the wiring diagrams for the ABS version from the 2006 Setup guide that was available in PDF form on this site at one time.
Still available here: CLICKY

For those of you who do not have a manual here is the fuse box listing for both the ABS and Standard versions of the 1300:
Hope you don't mind, I converted that into a page on the Wiki: CLICKY

--Mark

Well I finally got around to seeing if unplugging the head light motor would make any difference.
What did I find out...basically nothing.

Tuesday night
I installed a new fuse and tried to unplug the connector for the headlight motor. Boy! is that thing a beach to get to!
I was not successful in unplugging it but figured I would let the bike run anyway to see how long the fuse would last.
I let her idle for about 1/2 an hour and the fuse did not blow. (40 degrees - too cold to ride)
I jiggled the motor harness wires to see if that would get a reaction - nothing.
Cycled the ignition key several times like MidLife - nothing.
Maybe she needed an actual ride to get the fuse to blow. But would have to wait for Wednesday.

Wednesday
With better light and a little more patience I was able to get that motor unplugged.
Rode for about 20 miles and the fuse did not blow.
Stopped and plugged motor back in, cycled the ignition key several times, rode back home, fuse did not blow.

Now what? Maybe it's fixed? :rolleyes: Any other ideas out there?

Thanks - Freddie

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Well I finally got around to seeing if unplugging the head light motor would make any difference.

Thanks - Freddie
Thx for the update....this is bad news for me! Now I am prepared for a call from the dealer announcing that there is nothing wrong with my bike either!

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Tuesday night
I installed a new fuse and tried to unplug the connector for the headlight motor. Boy! is that thing a beach to get to!
I was not successful in unplugging it but figured I would let the bike run anyway to see how long the fuse would last.
I let her idle for about 1/2 an hour and the fuse did not blow. (40 degrees - too cold to ride)
I jiggled the motor harness wires to see if that would get a reaction - nothing.
Cycled the ignition key several times like MidLife - nothing.
Maybe she needed an actual ride to get the fuse to blow. But would have to wait for Wednesday.

Wednesday
With better light and a little more patience I was able to get that motor unplugged.
Rode for about 20 miles and the fuse did not blow.
Stopped and plugged motor back in, cycled the ignition key several times, rode back home, fuse did not blow.

Now what? Maybe it's fixed? :rolleyes: Any other ideas out there?

Thanks - Freddie
Well...dealer did practically the same thing you did....unplugged the motor and plugged it back in....and all seems fine now!

2009 First ride update.....
10 minutes into the ride, that darn fuse blew again????
"Start all over again" - But where to start????

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
2009 First ride update.....
10 minutes into the ride, that darn fuse blew again????
"Start all over again" - But where to start????
Mine blew again too!
Dealer found a wiring fault.
Bad news is that warranty did not work as it was a fault in the aftermarket electric shield (dealer installed...!) harness on my 03.
Fuse hasn't blown since the (expensive) repair.

Top Bottom