Need help on instrument panel power loss!

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I turned the ignition key on and off a few times in a row to demonstrate a few of the functions to a friend who was going to ride my ST 1300, when the dashboards lights went off.

-- No more lights on the Neutral, Fi and Oil pressure lights.
-- The clock still displays time.
-- No lights on the "multi-display" panel either, it just flashes briefly when the key is turned to on.
-- Also lost the tail lights.

The bike still starts fine, but the tachometer doesn't register RPMs, stays on zero.

Any idea where to start looking? Hoping for just a fuze!

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Check fuse box, fuse B, 10A for [Neutral-Oil-Tempmeter-Tachometer-Speedometer-Position-Meter Light-Tail]

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Check fuse box, fuse B, 10A for [Neutral-Oil-Tempmeter-Tachometer-Speedometer-Position-Meter Light-Tail]
Thx Scoot!

The fuse you pointed out is blown. Replaced it and it blew again a few seconds after starting the bike.

Bike is still under warranty, so it is off to the dealer!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Do you have any electrical stuff that you've added? I'd check those things first.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Do you have any electrical stuff that you've added? I'd check those things first.
Mellow,

I've added no electrical stuff myself (except for a pig-tail directly on the battery for plugging a battery tender or air pump, which shouldn't be in the loop for the dashboard troubles?).

The reason I have no electrical add-ons is that I wanted to avoid electrical problems....

There are dealer installed add-ons though, like quartet harness for heated grips and tap for the Maxia Givi break lights. You got me thinking here: if there is any chance the short could be related to these items, maybe I should go back to the dealer who installed them, to let him own up to it if the short is located there? Problem is I had sworn never to set foot in his shop again (Houston's Wild West Honda!).

Also found out that the headlight adjustment motor is dead when the 10A fuse blows.

Strange part is how it blew. Bike was on the stand, we were standing by it, not even moving it or touching it. I had turned it on a few times already, with no problem. But after I turned it on and off three times relatively rapidly, within maybe 10 sec, off it went. Almost wandering if it could be the ignition switch itself (where the key fits in), as it was the only moving part at the time?

Thanks.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'd be looking at the dealer add on's. Also what year are you on have you have the recalls checked out? Some were for wire harness routing.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Is this info anywhere in the Shop Manual? Couldn't find it.

After reading this post and going for the fuse box, I realized that if you scrape the crud off the fuse box cover, you can actually read the fuse description printed on the cover.....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Don't assume because a dealer did it, they did a better job than you would.

The headlight motor is an interesting issue.. it could be that is crapped out and causing the short, not sure if that is connected to the same fuse that's blowing.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Don't assume because a dealer did it, they did a better job than you would.
Mellow,

Agreed! Specially with Wild West. But what I am concerned about, is that if I go to a shop other than Wild West and they found a problem with the Wild West install, the repair will be on my dime. Whereas I might be able to convince Wild West to fix their own stuff, if it is where the problem is.

But then again, Wild West is liable to mess up something else, like they have often done for me (last of their amazing deeds was to install headlight bulb shims BEHIND the bulb base, not kidding!). So maybe not a good idea after all!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's your call man... I agree they should fix their own mistakes, if that is the problem...

There have been some headlight motors go out so that would be the first place I'd look.

You can unplug the headlight motor connector... see pic below and then put a new fuse in to see if that could be the culprit.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The headlight motor is an interesting issue.. it could be that is crapped out and causing the short, not sure if that is connected to the same fuse that's blowing.
This is why I'd be interested to find out where Scooterweb got his info from.

He wrote:

[Neutral-Oil-Tempmeter-Tachometer-Speedometer-Position-Meter Light-Tail]

This is more info than what is printed on the fuse box (Tacho is not on box for instance). And it is likely that "position" means the Headlight Motor, just not sure. I don't want to chase the motor if it is on the fuse circuit and normal to go off when the fuse is blown.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I'd be looking at the dealer add on's. Also what year are you on have you have the recalls checked out? Some were for wire harness routing.
It's an 03 with all recalls done, documented in the Honda Dealer's records. Thx.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
This bike hasn't been hosed down recently, has it?

--Mark
No. I've been thinking about cleaning the bike for the last two years but had not gotten to doing it yet!

And the bike is garaged.

Good learning experience for me. I was carrying a set of spare fuses transferred from my old bike that would have been useless on the road, given that the ones on the ST are mini fuses. At least I'll have the right ones in my new spare set!

Thx.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
There have been some headlight motors go out so that would be the first place I'd look.

You can unplug the headlight motor connector... see pic below and then put a new fuse in to see if that could be the culprit.

I can reach and touch the headlight motor connector but do not have enough of a grip on it to disconnect. Would have to drop more plastic than I have time for.

I disconnected the instrument panel and tailights, and the fuse still blows. So the headlight motor seems like the best guess. A few years ago this motor was cycling by itself, an issue the dealer resolved by changing the front sub-harness. Maybe the problem was not really resolved by the sub-harness fix!

First the fuse would blow only after a short while after turning the ignition on. Now you can hear it popping off as soon as you turn the key on, before the pump even kicks in. Should be easier for the dealer to trace.

Wow MidLife this is very weird, I have all of the same symtoms that you describe in your first post. Started just a couple of days ago...

First off, the STeed would not start because of a weak battery.
Charged battery for 1/2 an hour and off I go.
1/2 an hour later I realize that all instrumentation is gone.
Found blown fuse and changed it but it blew again 15 minutes later.
Not looking forward to tracking down an electrical problem. Arrgh!

2004 - The fast year :04biker:

Stealer has only had their hands on it twice...
- Recalls all done.
- Replaced a whacked out headlight motor (just like Midlife mmmmm?)
Not sure if the motor and/or the sub-harness was replaced. Will have to check.

Work that I have done...
- Quartet harness (nothing attached yet)
- McCruise control (still working)
- Pigtail for battery tender
- Wire (fused) connected direct to battery for Sirius radio,
that I tuck into the left hand microwave, errrrr, pocket when not in use

No rides in the rain for some time :)
Not washed for some time :eek::

I'm stumped. And don't even know where to start looking.
My buddy (?) suggested that I just carry like 100 fuses with me and replace them as they pop:rolleyes:
Great advice from an electrician no less. I've enlisted his help to figure this mess out but haven't got to it yet.
MidLife, looking forward to anything you may find out as well.
Good luck and keep us posted, I will do the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Wow MidLife this is very weird, I have all of the same symtoms that you describe in your first post. Started just a couple of days ago...

First off, the STeed would not start because of a weak battery.
Charged battery for 1/2 an hour and off I go.
1/2 an hour later I realize that all instrumentation is gone.
Found blown fuse and changed it but it blew again 15 minutes later.
Not looking forward to tracking down an electrical problem. Arrgh!

2004 - The fast year :04biker:

Stealer has only had their hands on it twice...
- Recalls all done.
- Replaced a whacked out headlight motor (just like Midlife mmmmm?)
Not sure if the motor and/or the sub-harness was replaced. Will have to check.

Work that I have done...
- Quartet harness (nothing attached yet)
- McCruise control (still working)
- Pigtail for battery tender
- Wire (fused) connected direct to battery for Sirius radio,
that I tuck into the left hand microwave, errrrr, pocket when not in use

No rides in the rain for some time :)
Not washed for some time :eek::

I'm stumped. And don't even know where to start looking.
My buddy (?) suggested that I just carry like 100 fuses with me and replace them as they pop:rolleyes:
Great advice from an electrician no less. I've enlisted his help to figure this mess out but haven't got to it yet.
MidLife, looking forward to anything you may find out as well.
Good luck and keep us posted, I will do the same.
Heading to the dealer in a few minutes. Will let you know when I get it back...in two-three weeks if they are not too busy....And of course, this is all happening in the middle of the best time of the year to ride in Texas!

Would you have the time to try Mellow's recommendation: unplugging the headlight adjustment motor?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Great advice from an electrician no less.
That is the quintessential electrician approach LOL.
Replace the fuse and follow the smoke to the real problem.
Hope you get it sorted out.

Heading to the dealer in a few minutes. Will let you know when I get it back...in two-three weeks if they are not too busy....And of course, this is all happening in the middle of the best time of the year to ride in Texas!

Would you have the time to try Mellow's recommendation: unplugging the headlight adjustment motor?
I will have lots of time, as my riding season in Wisconsin is rapidly coming to an end for those of us without heated gear.
I will investigate the headlight motor this weekend and let you know.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I will have lots of time, as my riding season in Wisconsin is rapidly coming to an end for those of us without heated gear.
I will investigate the headlight motor this weekend and let you know.
I was optimistic with estimating down time at the dealer to 2-3 weeks. Last time they had my bike, their backlog was 3-4 days and they ended up keeping the bike for two weeks. This time, their backlog alone is already at 2 weeks and then they also prioritize customers with prepaid maintenance (which is not me). So the bike is most likely gone for a month!

Am not sure the service writer kid really knew what a fuse is. He was completly lost by the time I got to the headlight motor.

So any finding of yours would be most useful. These guys will need all the guidance they can get.

Top Bottom