1991 ST1100 Pulled the carbs

Well as i mentioned in my Intro post, I picked up a 1991 ST1100 non running but nice and clean. (pic below) I got it running but only via Choke. Keep in mind this is my first more modern bike as I wrench and tinker with vintage 70's Hondas. I decided to pull the carbs and see whats happening with them. I shall say its quite a task but after browsing around the forums I dove right in. The very first thing I did when i got the bike is pulled every fuse to check them out, almost all had some white corrosion on them, cleaned them up and re inserted them. Then i changed the plugs, and started tearing her down to pull the carbs. At first glance it looks quite intimidating, but once i got going it went pretty well. Im waiting on a Carb Kit now so hopefully I can remember how it all goes back together :p

In the pics below, you will see the reason it did not want to throttle up or even idle with no choke for that matter. Both the idle and main jets where all clogged up. The PO let this bike set awhile i suppose. Ill get her all cleaned up and running like a top. Looking down at the Valves, they are gunky too, so ill have to clean them as good as i can.

Thanks for looking!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Well, that's yer problem right there!!

As far as cleaning the valves; run some Seafoam or Techron in a few tanks of fresh fuel and be done with it... (JMHO)

OP
OP
Tango911
Is there a solution i can use to soften the rubber boots to make it easier to re mount the carbs?

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Order new carb boots so you only have to do this once. Also get everything coolant related that is in the valley, elbows, etc. and do them now while you have access.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Tango, what yur seeing is pretty typical on these bikes.

How many total miles? If it's low, I wouldn't worry too much about the coolant lines. One place to look, tho, is at the right front of the valley. There's a spot where a PAIR valve hose passes under a coolant hose. I've found a few where the clamp on the PAIR hose intrudes on the bottom of the coolant hose. It can eventually cause that coolant hose to split. Simple to loosen the PAIR hose clamp and move it.

I've always cleaned the carb jets and reinstalled but if yur getting a full rebuild kit, do install the new jets.

I'm sure you're aware of the rear drive Moly lube and stuff like that. A thorough search on this site and some elbow grease will get yur ol' horse up 'n running like a thoroughbred.

Keep us poSTed.

OP
OP
Tango911
Tango, what yur seeing is pretty typical on these bikes.

How many total miles?

I'm sure you're aware of the rear drive Moly lube and stuff like that.
Im not familiar with the Moly Lube yet, i fix up and restore vintage bike, this is my first more modern bike, so it will take some reading up for sure.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

Steve

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I just changed all my coolant hoses, thermostat, coolant, timing belt along with the carb boots. If you have trouble finding them...I use www.discounthondaparts.com out of NY almost always have the parts and if not usually has them in a day or two. Since you do have the carbs off, do check the two coolant lines that run under the carbs. One of mine were bulging, just signs that eventually I would have had a problem. I also run starTron through the gas for ethanol crap. There is a wealth of infomation on this site and if you can't find it, Just ask! Good Luck and congrats on the bike.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Honda Moly 60 for the rear driven flange teeth. Should be able to get it at any Honda shop. If yur parts guy doesn't know what it is, check the shelves around their lube stuff. Comes in a miniature grease gun tube.

Also ask the mechanics if they use it. If they say no or don't have a clue, find a different Honda shop. :D

Lots of other tips hidden in the st1100 tech forum.

OP
OP
Tango911
sounds good ill look up other stuff as i need it. right now the main focus is finishing the carbs and installing them, get the bike running right and go from there. thanks for all the suggestions and support.

OP
OP
Tango911
She is done, and man it runs great. To get the carbs mounted back to the boots, i heated with a heat gun, lubed up with grease, insterted one side first then it did take some force to get it to seat, but not too bad. Now i just need to give her a bath and wax and she's ready for the road. 25 degrees and the st rode and ran great.

Thanks for the interest and support. the tips on the forum were great as well as the suggestions.

OP
OP
Tango911
my only issue with the st1100, 91 model. is I have to lean forward a little more than id like. the bmw i dont lean forward at all. The bars are telescoped out as far as they can go i think. are there after market bars or extenders/risers i can put on this bike?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Do a search for risers on this site but...

... the simplest fix is a second set of fork caps, with longer bolts. I now have my "extra" caps on the bars for my Yamaha dirt bike to add that extra inch+. The red bike has Ron Majors' risers, adds about 2", with stock bars. Silver bike has chrome Triumph Bonneville bars (1964, I think) about an inch lower and a couple inches narrower, so it leans over MORE than stock. Best of both worlds. :D

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool that you have it running, congrats.
Lucky you, I see you have a set of Heli Bars. Much coveted items there! If you go with much more rise than the Helis already offer, you may need to reroute your lines from in front of the tubes. You can feed the levers through too so it is not a big deal. Looks good1

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Oops, didn't notice the HeliBars. As Mark sez, any higher and you'll need longer cables 'n hoses.

Man, how high do you need to go? Those Helis add about 2 inches at max.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
how high do you need to go?
:D
Tango, you should ride one with stock bars, you will appreciate those Helis then.
If you need to go higher. The BMW K75 bars may be higher, but I'm not sure. I could check tonight for you.

OP
OP
Tango911
I have some neck issues so I like to ride straight up basically, like a dirt bike. its good for my neck. If i have to lean forward then i have to look up more and causes my neck to get sore after a long ride. I might be able to get another 1/2 inch out of the Helis. Ill take a closer Look. Love the bike other than that, and if i keep her, ill get a nicer seat. Everything else is great, runs great, good torque, the windshield creates a better bubble for me than the beemer.

Soon I will be doing the same job here in CA. Where do you guys find good carb kits? I found a good local shop that will R&R the carbs boil them out for $250 plus parts. But, they'd be buying parts one by one from Honda and that could get costly!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have some neck issues so I like to ride straight up basically, like a dirt bike. its good for my neck. If i have to lean forward then i have to look up more and causes my neck to get sore after a long ride. I might be able to get another 1/2 inch out of the Helis. Ill take a closer Look. Love the bike other than that, and if i keep her, ill get a nicer seat. Everything else is great, runs great, good torque, the windshield creates a better bubble for me than the beemer.
I can find the source if you cant find them, but I got a set of lines form a guy in Canada for a real reasonable price. You will likely need longer lines if you add a riser of any height to the Heli Bars. I have seen risers that compleetly replace the stock clamp set and they are quite tall. I would guess 2" at least. Those were on Flebay as were the lines.
If I hadn't had a computer issus I would have better info for you.
Let me know if you need me to track it down.

Top Bottom