Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

And the KZ1000P, which in its final iteration (half fairing replaced the windshield) ran from 1982--2005.
There's also the Vulcan 750, which ran almost as long, from 1985 to 2006. It remained almost unchanged during its 22-year lifetime and was definitely a case of "it it ain't broke, don't fix it." If I remember correctly, the only changes were to a couple of the external engine parts that I think had to do with Kawasaki revising them for sharing with other models.

--Mark

Bike
'15 FJR ES

All the bikes mentioned that had a long run with no changes were bikes that continued to sell very well with almost no investment in upgrades from the manufacturer. The ST1300 does not fit that category. It has never sold in competitive #s (at least in this country) yet Honda has not done anything the general public would notice to refine, enhance or improve sales. In spite of no obvious changes the price has steadily climbed. The only thing about the ST1300 that has remained competitive with the high end BMW is the high price. Honda has in fact made some changes to the ST1300 besides color though. A quick look in the Genuine Honda Service Manual under Troubleshooting PGM-FI will show two different sections. '03 to '07 is one section, After '07 is another.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

That sorta indicates the ECM part number change was more than a sourcing change.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

In spite of no obvious changes the price has steadily climbed.
Your price has steadily climbed because the currency where you live hasn't done very well against the Yen. As of late 2011, Honda was selling STs for less than they did in 2006.

The price on this year's model was determined last year, when the dollar was buying ?78 or so. Either our currency has picked up steam or theirs has suffered, but in either case, today's exchange rate is ?100, or about 28% better than it was in January. If that trend continues and the 2014 ST (if there is one) is the same bike we're all so ashamed to own, you might see the price drop.

--Mark

Bike
'15 FJR ES

FWIW, I am not ashamed to own mine. I am ashamed that Honda has left us all alone with no love and support. I am ashamed that Honda does not think we are important enough to warrant their attention.

At my current rate I expect to wear out my ST1300 on or about the 15th of NEVER. It is the best bike I ever dreamed of owning. I reflect on the happy turns my life has taken every time I look at my ST1300. It has taken me over parts of this country I never dreamed I would get to see and done so smoothly and reliably. I don't want or need another Sport Tourer at this time. If (big IF) Honda sees fit to introduce a worthy successor to my beloved ST I may reconsider. Until then I am happy riding Dances with Rain. As a matter of fact, it is in the parking lot right now covered in mud from my ride in to work in the rain and construction.

If Honda had the 1300 priced so that we could buy the bike, buy heated grips, cruise control, gear indicator, power outlets, bar risers, and the other upgrades most people do to the 1300 and still be in the range of it's competition, then I think fewer of us would be laughing at Honda trying to stretch the model out so long.
Seems like your biggest complaint is the current MSRP for an ST13. Suppose Honda just drops the MSRP to $10,999 and we add whatever accessories we want to it. If Honda did that, they could keep it going for another ten years.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Seems like your biggest complaint is the current MSRP for an ST13. Suppose Honda just drops the MSRP to $10,999 and we add whatever accessories we want to it. If Honda did that, they could keep it going for another ten years.
I would prefer an updated model that would be direct competition for the other Sport Tourers out there. As a last resort, lower the price so a new outdated ST at least makes financial sense, and leaves room to be able to purchase those upgrades Honda won't do. Meanwhile people are trying to use low sales numbers to explain why they won't come up with a new design...well the low sales numbers are because nobody wants to pay a premium price for an outdated model!

Meanwhile people are trying to use low sales numbers to explain why they won't come up with a new design...well the low sales numbers are because nobody wants to pay a premium price for an outdated model!
I believe that Honda did plan three different versions of the VFR1200 and did come up with a replacement. They targeted the release of the VFR1200T for 2009. I believe that market conditions caused them to shelve that project -- meaning that there were (and are) not enough people willing to part with $20k+ for a new sport touring motorcycle. A combination of the recession, maybe currency exchange rates and a surge in interest in adventure touring killed the VFR1200T. That's my theory.

Honda has been building motorcycles for a long time. And, they have been outselling their competitors for a long time. I don't believe that Honda is so stupid, that they would allow a "successful" model to stagnate to the point that they would destroy the market for it, or willingly hand the market over to their competitors. I think that the numbers were just not there to support it. And that would have been a big decision for Honda, given the amount of money that they probably had invested in designing and getting ready to build a VFR1200T (or whatever it might have been called).

Maybe we'll see it some day -- if the VFR platform survives. If Honda doesn't bring the VFR1200X to North America next year, then I would say it doesn't look promising for a sport touring version.

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

I'm sure they had the X and T version of the VFR1200 ready to go... then the competitors came out with their bikes; F800GT/ST, K1600GT/L, Trophy, Explorer, 800/X/C... and on and on...

Then they decided, maybe, that what they were offering just didn't make the cut anymore... they needed to tweak a few things to make them more competitive, maybe add a few condiments... or shave a few pounds... add a few horses... or even wait for suppliers to recover from the tsunami.

Bike
2012 ST1300

...... then the competitors came out with their bikes; F800GT/ST, K1600GT/L, Trophy, Explorer, 800/X/C... and on and on....
I'm glad that someone is finally addressing the competition. And I do believe the K1600GT/L has to be a factor. BMW seems to have knocked one out of the park and the VFR needs to answer back if the ST is getting shelved?

... or even wait for suppliers to recover from the tsunami.
I find this to be enlightening, I always have looked at it from the US's economic outlook! The world does revovle around me you know?

And I do believe the K1600GT/L has to be a factor. BMW seems to have knocked one out of the park and the VFR needs to answer back if the ST is getting shelved?
I know I keep saying this, but the irony is that the K1600GT/L was designed to compete with the Gold Wing and not in the sport touring market. But I think that everything that BMW builds has more of a performance edge to it, much like it used to be with European passenger cars vs. N. American passenger cars. Europeans seem to expect more of a performance attitiude in all of their vehicles.

Bike
2012 ST1300

I know I keep saying this, but the irony is that the K1600GT/L was designed to compete with the Gold Wing and not in the sport touring market. But I think that everything that BMW builds has more of a performance edge to it, much like it used to be with European passenger cars vs. N. American passenger cars. Europeans seem to expect more of a performance attitiude in all of their vehicles.
Well, I don't know if the K bike has all the creature comforts of a Wing, but the Wing as nice as it is, doesn't compete with the ST as far as performance. Wouldn't you agree?

Bike
2006 ST1300

I completely agree with this! To me it seems the ST1300 is a sporty touring bike. While I agree (and always have said about the K1600) that it is closer to the Wing, it is a somewhat sporty bike in true German fashion. I think any variant of a VFR would fail badly as competition to this bike, as it is more of a sportbike with bags tacked on and a few comforts added.

If I wanted to ride 200 miles to my weekend destination the VFR would be fine. But many ST owners love how we can do several thousand miles across the country in comfort and still have the handling to enjoy the Dragon, or take to a track day.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Yes, the K16GT/L is a Wing competitor... but if Honda can come in with a T version of the VFR with some of the technology of the K16GT/L (adaptive headlights for example) at a cheaper price point, then they have scored a coup... and would hopefully cut into BMW's slice of pie.

Bike
'15 FJR ES

A couple of (friendly) thoughts here. 1) Why so much anger at Honda? Most of us already have an ST. If they did lower the price of the current bike wouldn't that cut into the "exclusivity" of the ST? 2) They may have already replaced the ST. Like it or not, the ST is often referred to as "GoldWing Lite". Have you seen the F6B? I have. The first one I ever saw belonged to a Connie 14 owner. He was getting rid of Big Connie... 3) Using an adventure bike to replace a Sport Tourer is not a bad plan. Just ask Mellow... 4) The Big Heavy BMW K1600 GT is not that much bigger and heavier than the ST1300. A fat pig it is not. Cheer up guys. Honda already built us all a great bike. I love mine. Although, I heard Yamaha is announcing the 2014 FJR later today... Just sayin'...

Bike
'15 FJR ES

OH NO! Yamaha just announced the 2014 FJRES! ES stands for Electronic Suspension... And it is in a great looking Candy Apple Red color too... This could present some problems at my (wife's) house. Serious problems.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

It appears Yamaha has "good ears" and is listening, that is SWEET!!

Bike
2006 ST1300

Now that is nice! And all for under $17k msrp! Go ahead Honda, keep trying to sell those STs for $18k!

Why does everyone seem to think a similar Honda would have to sell for over $20k? If Yamaha can sell the latest technology with features many of us want for under $17k, why can't Honda?

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom