Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Bike
2006 ST1300
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

While their updates may not be yearly, they do update. They know one important rule of sales- it's a lot easier to keep a customer than to try to get one back who left. Honda may be at that point now, which would explain them possibly giving up the ST. Once customers have jumped ship it would take a lot to draw them back.

Manufacturers don't always create & sell a model simply for the immediate profits. Sometimes they are willing to sell a model with either low sales figures, or low profit because it can help them in other areas. Kids motorcycles are a good example. They don't sell in huge numbers, yet they are updated and are kept around. Why? They lure new buyers to Honda. Put a kid on a small Honda dirt bike and as they grow they will want another Honda...then another. They also buy accessories & gear.

How many ST owners came from other Honda models, such as sportbikes? How many later move from the ST to a 'Wing? The ST is the natural filler for middle aged riders who have outgrown the sportbike thing, but aren't ready for a 'Wing. They might not make a ton of money off STs, but they keep riders owning Hondas, and make up for it by later selling them 'Wings. If an ST owner jumps ship to BMW, chances are they aren't coming back.

Bike
BMW K1600GT

The Moto Guzzi Norge is a nice bike, but their dealers are even more rare than BMW/Triumph. The cross tourer is not a serious adventure bike. Honda needs to bring back the Africa Twin, bump up the displacement, have a 7+ gal fuel tank, add shaft and single sided swing arm, and good to go. They will need as least that to compete with the BMW GSW1200. Sometimes I think Honda will either just let the ST1300 die or come out with something that is just a disappointment considering the amount of time we have waited.

Bike
2012 ST1300

Why not? With touring adaptations to the engine (engine cylinder management* for mileage), ergos, weather protection, and luggage, it would be a great platform.

*part of a recent Honda motorcycle patent.
Good point BB, with the emphasis on "would be"?

I know for a fact that Yamaha does not. The FJR went virtually unchanged from '03-'05. Updated to Gen 2 in '06. Updated the throttle pulley in '08. Left unchanged except color through '12. Now on Gen 3 for 2013. That is really 3 major updates in 10 years. As far as I know Kawasaki has only done one major update to the Connie 14.
This does indicate that a three year cycle is typical for the regular release of updates when a manufacturer is actively supporting a current model that is selling consistently. Anything more than cosmetic updates or fixes would require about 3 years of design, development, testing and homologation prior to release. The X-wing concept (my avatar) was shown in 2000 and the ST13 came out in 2003. Yearly updates are rare (but I think that Kawi did one on the Conny 14 to address a couple of owner complaints).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Yearly updates are rare (but I think that Kawi did one on the Conny 14 to address a couple of owner complaints).
So did Honda - in 2004 the adjustable windshield was made standard or all models not just the ABS. I have to believe that was due to complaints or poor sales of the non-abs version.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

So did Honda - in 2004 the adjustable windshield was made standard or all models not just the ABS. I have to believe that was due to complaints or poor sales of the non-abs version.
In 2008, they added a little more "Heat" protection with the side cover fillers!

Hey, every little bit counts, right? ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

In 2008, they added a little more "Heat" protection with the side cover fillers!

Hey, every little bit counts, right? ;)
Yes, was just addressing the '2nd' year adjustment as it was implied Honda never does anything especially quickly but they did address the shield.

2008 did have the most - maybe only - changes.. one had to be un-changed - the hose under the rear brake res needed to be recalled to the pre-2008 version. Kinda makes you wonder why it was even changed in the first place. I suppose honda had some budget to do something to the bike and they addressed what they could given that budget. Again, a business decision, not a major thing but they did try to address some issues.

Honda has to love this thread - if they are reading it - you've got a lot of folks that are either:
1 - completely satisfied with the ST1300
2 - still happy with their ST1100 and will see if the ST1300 replacement is their next move
3 - moved on to something else but waiting to see what Honda does
4 - very annoyed honda doesn't come out with a new sport tourer so they can buy it or get a used one

It's a captured audience.. LOL.. no matter how slow we may feel Honda moves - we know when they do something, it will be something good and it will still retain the reliability Honda is noted for and no matter what you ride now and how happy you are with it... most of us still have our eyes open and watching..

Bike
'15 FJR ES

Yearly updates are rare (but I think that Kawi did one on the Conny 14 to address a couple of owner complaints).
For the record, I am not arguing here. I am only providing a little information. Kawasaki updated Big Connie due to customer complaints/suggestions after the bike was out for two years. The windshield was changed. The HEAT that was cooking the rider was addressed with air routing changes within the fairing. Dismal fuel economy was addressed and improved. The spare key fob range was reduced so that a spare key could be hidden on the bike without activating the system. For those who don't know about this, the Concourse does not need a key inserted and turned, the electronic fob activates the bike and the bike will start with the fob in the rider's pocket. The spare now has to be (I think) within 2 feet of the handlebars. The electric windshield was given a memory and some preset positions. There were other things I am sure, but these are the ones I remember. Kawasaki did their research and reacted to the wants and needs of their customers. I wish Honda would do the same.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

For the record, I am not arguing here. I am only providing a little information. Kawasaki updated Big Connie due to customer complaints/suggestions after the bike was out for two years. The windshield was changed. The HEAT that was cooking the rider was addressed with air routing changes within the fairing. Dismal fuel economy was addressed and improved. The spare key fob range was reduced so that a spare key could be hidden on the bike without activating the system. For those who don't know about this, the Concourse does not need a key inserted and turned, the electronic fob activates the bike and the bike will start with the fob in the rider's pocket. The spare now has to be (I think) within 2 feet of the handlebars. The electric windshield was given a memory and some preset positions. There were other things I am sure, but these are the ones I remember. Kawasaki did their research and reacted to the wants and needs of their customers. I wish Honda would do the same.
AMEN !!

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

The mirrors were raised, so that riders no longer had a fantastic view of the saddlebags.

Kawasaki updated Big Connie due to customer complaints/suggestions after the bike was out for two years.
I remember being impressed that it was relatively quick. It seemed like Kawasaki really cares about the Concourse and really did react to customer opinion and the opinions of the moto journalists who reviewed it.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

Originally Posted by GlenT

The other manufacturers do updates, not yearly however they do updates.

The mirrors were raised, so that riders no longer had a fantastic view of the saddlebags.
That's a shame, I imagine they have trouble seeing if their saddlebags are in fact still attatched to the bike now.

STOC #

The spare key fob range was reduced so that a spare key could be hidden on the bike without activating the system.
While that might be one reason, I was under the impression the main reason was because riders were starting the bike with their fob laying on their workbench and forgetting to take the fob along. :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I remember being impressed that it was relatively quick. It seemed like Kawasaki really cares about the Concourse and really did react to customer opinion and the opinions of the moto journalists who reviewed it.
They were quick to get it right so they could build it without changes for two decades to come ala KLR and the first gen Connie.

They were quick to get it right so they could build it without changes for two decades to come ala KLR and the first gen Connie.
Kind-of speaks to the idea that if it ain't broke (and people are still willing to buy it) don't fix it. :)

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

While that might be one reason, I was under the impression the main reason was because riders were starting the bike with their fob laying on their workbench and forgetting to take the fob along. :D
That's funny. :D

Some have lost their bags... easy fix with a ziptie if you're really concerned. I have over 36k miles without losing mine. The heat issue is like the ST, some I guess are real cookers and others not... but rather than leave it be, Kawasaki was proactive about it. Mine doesn't bother me.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

Don't forget the Voyager 1200 tourer, which was sold many, many years after it was no longer relevant (thank the GL1500).

And the KZ1000P, which in its final iteration (half fairing replaced the windshield) ran from 1982--2005. Positive note: This cheap, bulletproof, easily-maintained motorcycle served very well for government agencies--whose main criteria for spending taxpayer dollars is "lowest bidder."

Bike
2006 ST1300

Kind-of speaks to the idea that if it ain't broke (and people are still willing to buy it) don't fix it. :)
That is perfectly fine as long as the price reflects it, such as the 1st gen KLR650. I bought my '06 brand new dirt cheap, far less than nearly every other dualsport. It was a simple workhorse, but even then had issues that should have been addressed with an update- the Doohickey, weak upper subframe mounting bolts, steering stem nuts that won't stay tight, and oil consumption at highway speeds. I calculated the costs and bought the KLR new, purchased a SS locknut kit, upgraded doohickey (counterbalance chain adjuster for those not familiar with KLR terms), and upgraded subframe bolt kit and still had less money into the bike than any other competitive big bore dualsport.

If Honda had the 1300 priced so that we could buy the bike, buy heated grips, cruise control, gear indicator, power outlets, bar risers, and the other upgrades most people do to the 1300 and still be in the range of it's competition, then I think fewer of us would be laughing at Honda trying to stretch the model out so long.

Do you think the KLR would be such a success if it was priced the same as the Wee or the F650GS?

Bike
2012 ST1300

This cheap, bulletproof, easily-maintained motorcycle served very well for government agencies--whose main criteria for spending taxpayer dollars is "lowest bidder."
Now there's a foriegn concept. :)

Top Bottom