Dry Pak waterproof duffel (Large)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wanted something to use for the vstrom as the twisted throttle dry spec bag is just a little too wide and with a jacket and back armor it pushes too much against my back.

So, I thought I'd try this link out that I've been saving for a couple years and see if the bag was any good. Enter the Dry Pak bag.

This bag is about $50 delivered which is an incredible deal given the type and quality of the bag. It's the same type of waterproof vinyl construction of all the other higher-priced bags.

The dimensions of the bag (large) are 24L x 12H x 12W. But, a couple things that really set this one apart are:

1 - The bottom is formed and semi-rigid and has extra protection so it should ensure a long life.
2 - The opening on this bag is huge - most roll-top bags have narrow openings and sometimes makes it a pain to pack, you could probably pack one of these bags inside another due to how large it opens up.

If you want a high quality bag but at a discount price, this is the one. The amazon picture shows it to look like a brushed cotton material but in person it's actually all shiny black.

Amazon Link

71Xt6c19hNL._SL1500_.jpg

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Joe, DId you get this bag. I have been looking for one. But I need it to fit on a small rack I made for my trailer hitch. Is it 12" wide x 12" deep and the 24" is the length before you roll it up? How tall is it when it is closed? Thanks!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, DId you get this bag. I have been looking for one. But I need it to fit on a small rack I made for my trailer hitch. Is it 12" wide x 12" deep and the 24" is the length before you roll it up? How tall is it when it is closed? Thanks!
Yes, I have it here.. 24" long. The ends would be 12x12 it if was packed and rolled down but the top has enough room you could probably make it around 16" tall and still retain a good seal with the roll-top.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Yes, I have it here.. 24" long. The ends would be 12x12 it if was packed and rolled down but the top has enough room you could probably make it around 16" tall and still retain a good seal with the roll-top.
Great!! Thanks, gonna order one right now!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
For what it is worth, there is a larger version too if anyone is interested. I've recently been doing some research on this sort of bag and I'll copy my findings below for any who are looking at larger bags:

• Dry Pack DP-D2 ($44.95) is a nice size (30 x 14 x 15") (6,712 cu) and design with a sturdier base. 2 outside zipper pockets. Removable shoulder strap. Roll top.
  • Seattle Sport Downstream Duffel ($56.95) is a nice size (30 x 16 x 15) (7,200 cu). Only rated as splashproof but reading the specs and reviews makes me think that means it can't be submersed but rain would be no problem (there is a storm flap over the zipper). Zipper top with storm flap. Free shipping.
  • Armour Dry Duffle Dive Bag ($49.95 or $42.95 at Scuba Shop)) is large (36 x 16) (7,200 cu). Zipper top with storm flap. Free shipping.
  • Cressi Gorilla Duffel Bag ($66.95) (33.5 x 18 x 14). Zipper top with storm flap. Free shipping.
  • Over-Board Waterproof Duffel Bag ($77.95) (12.5 x 10.5 x 26.5") has several nice features including a mesh exterior pouch, interior pockets, and d-rings for tying down. Roll top. Free shipping.
I've not included the Twisted Throttle and Nelson-Rigg dry bags as they are somewhat of a different price point.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Some additional photos.

You'll see how large the opening is comparing it to the Twisted Throttle Dry Spec 38 bag.

Also, the formed base and there's also a drain hole for the base apparently. It's not for the bag as it's air tight. The base is just an extra welded section for protection.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What all have you got stuffed in there in the first pic? I think I need this for my upcoming trip.
I just have my tent/exped sleeping pad and the ground cloth.. you could easily stuff a sleeping bag in the remaining volume of the bag without even compressing it much... That's pretty much what I usually put in the bag if I'm just taking one bag.

STOC #
Nice. So that's the 70 liter - based on that, do you think the 110 liter bag would be big enough to pack two sleeping bags, two expeds and maybe the tent? The tent and sleeping bags would be in compression sacks.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice. So that's the 70 liter - based on that, do you think the 110 liter bag would be big enough to pack two sleeping bags, two expeds and maybe the tent? The tent and sleeping bags would be in compression sacks.
It sounds like it would.. remember, you don't have to roll up the expeds.. .you can fold them like sheets once the air is out so that helps some. It depends on the size of the sleeping bags and tent.. even if it all didn't fit in the bag the tent could strap to the top of the bag.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, how would you compare this bag to the Akona?
Similar if not the same material. Larger opening. Maybe just a tad more volume. Other than that and the solid base they are pretty close.

STOC #
I picked up both sizes and they arrived last night. They are really well made, I'm impressed with the quality - especially for the price, it seems hard to beat. My plan is to use the smaller one for solo trips, and the 110liter monster instead of the Givi case for two up trips. It looks like everything (tent, footprint,poles,sleeping bags x2, air mats x2),will fit in the 110, and then some. Great find Joe, thanks for posting it up.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I've been eyeing this Kwik Tek Dry Pak as well in the 70 liter size, the black and green are more expensive, blue and clear/white are considerably cheaper at about $38-$39 delivered. Excellent reviews, including motorcycle users.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Amazon Link
Mine's on the way. Don't miss on the opportunity for free next day shipping by using your Discover card or points and entering 'DISCOVER' in the coupon box at check out. Good thru March 31

-Steve

Bike
ST1300
Just ordered one of these Quik Tek Dry Paks based on Mellow's review. I think this will be much better than what I used last year. Last year I used a dry bag, not a duffel which didn't have handles. I think it was meant for canoeing or kayaking. Although it kept everything very dry, I found it hard to pack, or to just get one thing out of it. I strapped it to my passenger seat with a small cargo net. For the most part the arrangement was excellent other than the florescent colour and packing access. The cargo net kept things very secure, and it was handy to tuck a water bottle or baseball cap under the net at a quick stop. I'm planning another trip this summer through British Columbia and Washington and although it's beautiful country, when it decides to rain, it's good to know you have a dry change of clothes in your duffel.

Top Bottom