2014 Honda CTX1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe Honda will offer an updated ST. Or maybe Honda came to its senses and it's riders who've abandoned theirs. If the ST segment makes money for Honda then there's no sense ignoring it. If it's not a money maker then it makes good business sense to get out of it and move on to other segments.

Based on the new models released it's clear that Honda believes there's money to be made in other market sectors. What's not clear is if the ST market is viable.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Right, time will tell. Some of us haven't abandon the segment, maybe they'd sell some.......all conjecture unless we are product planners for Mama H.

Last edited:
Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
Try using bold letters to make your point....lol. I agree with you, time for an ST update. On a side note, my salesman friend's dealership received it's CTX.......and it had been forklift skewered.......someone will get a deal, lol
Many of them are getting 'skewered'. Shipping crates are apparently inadequate to the task. Mine has a slight flat spot on the bottom of one exhaust header pipe, a dented up heat shield on the right muffler, and a couple of scuffed body parts. All three that my dealer received have similar damage. Most of it isn't even noticeable unless you specifically look for it. Dealer has documented and photo'd all damaged parts, and Honda will be replacing them.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Many of them are getting 'skewered'. Shipping crates are apparently inadequate to the task. Mine has a slight flat spot on the bottom of one exhaust header pipe, a dented up heat shield on the right muffler, and a couple of scuffed body parts. All three that my dealer received have similar damage. Most of it isn't even noticeable unless you specifically look for it. Dealer has documented and photo'd all damaged parts, and Honda will be replacing them.
Interesting that this is happening. How hard can it be as a forklift operator to put the forks under the pallet frame?! Or is this bike's shipping pallet a different size/shape than others, and this shipping pallet is skewered when an adjacent crate is being lifted? (if the forklift operator inserts the forks too far under a first crate, they can 'stab' the 2nd crate in line)
:shrug1:

Do you happen to have a copy of the Dealer Setup Instructions for the CTX? I can see the dealer's setup team damaging the bike to put on the front wheel, for example, if they're not following the instructions.

Last edited:
Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
Maybe Honda will offer an updated ST. Or maybe Honda came to its senses and it's riders who've abandoned theirs. If the ST segment makes money for Honda then there's no sense ignoring it. If it's not a money maker then it makes good business sense to get out of it and move on to other segments.

Based on the new models released it's clear that Honda believes there's money to be made in other market sectors. What's not clear is if the ST market is viable.
My guess is they want to see if the VFR1200 will fill that need. I think they will find that it mostly won't; hopefully they don't take that as a sign that the sport touring market is dried up.

Now, I do understand the frustration of some of you guys. I felt the same thing when they killed the heavy cruiser line and replaced it with that horrendous custom cruiser line. The CTX1300 is the bike I've been waiting for for 10 years, but I also understand that I'm probably in the minority, and a lot of you guys are steadfast sport touring guys. Hopefully they'll come around with an updated model sooner rather than later.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The CTX1300 is the bike I've been waiting for for 10 years, but I also understand that I'm probably in the minority,
On this board sure. On the road is a different story. Maybe it's a West Coast thing but I see many more baggers than S-Ts of any brand. Especially in good weather. Complete with the shorty windshield often tinted to match the fairing. And a lot of them are group riders. I think we'll see CTX1300 sales do well given a little time.

When I was first looking for a new bike in early 2011 I checked out the ST FJR and Concours. Besides Honda reliability it was the ST's lines that gave it the edge. And the more I rode it the more I liked (and like) it. If I couldn't get another ST the CTX would be my next bike. If I had the room it would be my second bike. (I'd change the bars and the windshield.) But I think a trip to Big Sky country is easily do-able on the CTX. In the meantime I'll enjoy reading about forum members' experience with theirs.

Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
Interesting that this is happening. How hard can it be as a forklift operator to put the forks under the pallet frame?! Or is this bike's shipping pallet a different size/shape than others, and this shipping pallet is skewered when an adjacent crate is being lifted? (if the forklift operator inserts the forks too far under a first crate, they can 'stab' the 2nd crate in line)
:shrug1:

Do you happen to have a copy of the Dealer Setup Instructions for the CTX? I can see the dealer's setup team damaging the bike to put on the front wheel, for example, if they're not following the instructions.
My dealer says it's already a common problem with newly received CTX1300's. Since this seems to be mostly isolated to these models and across several different dealers, I'm inclined to believe it's more an issue of the crating. Otherwise we'd see this kind of damage on many other bikes. But who knows.

Unfortunately I don't have the set up instructions.

Bike
2005 ST1300
New CTX1300 has ST1300 engine

Just got this months Rider mag and read a review of the new CTX1300. It has the same engine from the ST1300 but was downsized at the throttle bodies and other minor changes and horsepower is now 75! It burns regular gas instead of premium. I sure wouldn't want to give up 36 horse power. Seating position is like a cruiser and saddlebags wont hold but the smallest helmets. Wonder how it'll sell?

Gary 05 ST1300

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
You really won't notice much drop in hp since the CTX1300 gets to its 84 hp at a much lower rpm than the ST does. Most ST riders don't see their max hp unless they rev it up to around 8000rpm. Down under 6000 rpm the two bikes are almost equal, and under 4500 rpm the CTX1300 has equal or better torque at 78 lb-ft at that rpm with an even flatter torque curve than the ST from 2000-5000 rpm. Max hp is not the whole story by a long shot. What you do loose is max speed, and how fast you can get to max speed. Max hp on my ST1100 is also more than the CTX but I never get to the rpm needed to see it. The CTX1300 is much better/stronger than my ST1100 at normal riding speeds... at least based on the few test rides I took it on.

As to the saddle bags, same volume as the ST, both 1100 & 1300, at 35 liter. The shape is better I think. My work laptop case does fit in the CTX bags but won't fit in either of the ST bags.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Just got the Rider mag. with the test of the CTX1300. What's with the big box and bundle of tubes they call exhaust pipes and a mufflers?? Have noise restrictions gotten that bad? A lot of new bikes are getting these ugly systems. Won't be a centerstand option available.

Don't like the look, HP and torque are down also.

I'll be keeping my ST.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My work laptop case... won't fit in either of the ST bags.
I had the same problem and had to use a backpack. Not a big deal but putting in a bag would have been very convenient.

Looks are subjective and everybody likes what they like. I like the CTX and as I've said often I'd have one along with my ST if I had the space. I think most detractors of the CTX's performance just don't get what you're saying about HP vs torque. Some/many/most may never miss those 36HP.

This reminds me of that old Sunsweet Prunes commercial with the guy who hates prunes is finally coaxed into trying them. Substitute CTX for prunes.

"They're still rather badly wrinkled you know." :rofl1: Freberg was a genius.

Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
You guys really need to ride one before dissing the HP numbers. They don't mean squat -- this bike goes when you want it to, except you don't have to ride it like you hate it to get it there.

Seriously ... if it's not for you, it's not for you, I get that. But don't be making up excuses that have no bearing on actual rideability.

You guys really need to ride one before dissing the HP numbers.
I've spent a bit of time reading feedback in this thread a while back, and have just looked at it again.

I believe I understand everyone's negative enthusiasm, as I do, meaning I'm *not* too excited about the overall "look" of the bike.
Granted, I've yet to ride one, much less sit on one, but maybe I'll go to Honda of Houston and check it out.

Here's my opinion, purely based on the *looks* ... it looks like a Harley in disguise ... it's more a *cruiser* than a Sport Touring bike, even if Honda is labeling it as such.
Or maybe they are labeling it as a cross-over bike .... ugh.

Please ... DEFINE what category the bike should be in ... it's either an ST or a Cruiser....

It looks like bike manufacturers are going the way of car manufacturers with the whole "cross over" category ....
They dont want to classify the vehicle, so they throw it into the "cross over" category and play it safe ...

Okay, I'm done ...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
meaning I'm *not* too excited about the overall "look" of the bike.
You're not alone. Others have gone on to give pretty harsh criticism of the looks. Subjective. I get that. However other criticisms were alleged regarding performance and handling when the bike hadn't even been reviewed by anybody. I think this is the Sour Grapes Syndrome kicking in because there was no updated ST.

it's more a *cruiser* than a Sport Touring bike, even if Honda is labeling it as such.
<sigh> Here's the thing: Honda DOESN'T label it a Sport Touring bike. Not at all. They show it under Touring along with the GoldWing F6B ST Interstate and CTXs. Each one of these is practically it's own class. Some people keep saying this is a Sport-Tourer and that it's to replace the ST. Not true. Whether the ST lives or dies the CTX1300 is a different bike. Honda says so in the CTX's ad copy.

Or maybe they are labeling it as a cross-over bike .... ugh.
No they're not. They're saying it's a new category of bike. Bagger or Cruiser-Tourer is a more accurate description and label. In the automotive industry "crossover" refers to the construction: SUV body on a car chassis. It's consumers making up their own definitions of a vehicle. Pretty much what's happened in this thread.

it's either an ST or a Cruiser....
I say Honda has done a commendable job in making it a neither. They're not calling it either. Even though it's not an ST or an S-T I think people will find that there is still some sport and touring in it. There's no reason any motorcycle has to conform to a pre-existing category. Were that the case there would never be any sport-tourers.

One member here has already posted 50mpg for his CTX. This will be a fun bike for a lot of people. The optional (or third-party) windshield should extend the reach of the bike in distance and fans.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
And if it's a center stand you need, there is one available as an option. As happens with a lot of bikes, "options" for the USA versions are standard overseas such as (in this case) the center stand and heated grips and ABS and a few others.

+1 on reserving and opinions of performance until you ride one. It won't take long to realize it runs better than most here seem to believe. As I stated before... most ST riders never really see MAX hp anyway so those riders would not miss the lower max hp found on this bike. (that is, unless you regularly keep your ST up around 6500-8500 rpm).

Top Bottom