2014 Honda CTX1300

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I got a chance to sit on Bob's CTX1300 at NatSTOC. I didn't ride it as I just don't like to ride other people's bikes but just sitting on it and flat-footing both feet was something shorter riders are going to like. It's a great looking bike in person and it wouldn't take much for Honda to take some of the items like the integrated audio, led headlights/taillights and create an updated ST. I know ST Owners would prefer the current ST engine setup vs the CTX but sure would be a nice update to add some of the other stuff .. a 200 rear tire is nice looking too.

IMG_20150709_190622-L.jpg P7100048-XL.jpg IMG_20150710_073347-XL.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It is a good looking bike. I had a chance to sit on one at the 2014 San Mateo moto show. The seat is something I should have paid more attention to. Looking at the above pics the back of the rider's seat has a kind of RDL look to it only more contemporary.

I wonder if it adds comfort that the ST's seats lack. I like the look and checking out the DL gallery all the seats had more wings than I like. Nice bike!

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
My buddy loves the ST and he sold his goldwing to buy the CTX1300. we went on a 8,000 k trip and he said he had no problem with the heat. The same engine as the ST but detuned by 35 hp, uses regular gas and is much lower than the ST. He put a larger windshield on it and a top box. The side boxes are smaller and do not take a helmet but he is happy with it and so far thing year he has put 20,000 on it

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
we went on a 8,000 k trip. . . and so far thing year he has put 20,000 on it
Wow not bad for a bike that Honda bills as a "weekend getaway" bike. If I couldn't get a replacement for my ST the CTX would be at the tippy-top of a very short list. It's a good thing I don't have room for two bikes!

AND: If possible could you post a pic of your buddy's bike? I'd like to see it with the top box.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't know if you can see the pics but here are a few posted on the CTX1300 forum:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/honda-ctx1300-photos/5506-pictures-top-case.html

And some of the overseas White version:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/honda-ctx1300-photos/8665-ctx-white.html

@nokesy - Does your buddy have an alias/name on the CTX1300 forum? Unless you both were riding about 95 mph the torque AND HP on the CTX would be higher than the ST in 5th gear. It just passes 5000 rpm at that speed and that's where both ST and CTX are the SAME torque and HP... the CTX is coming down in torque and soon after to come down in HP but the ST is just starting to get up to the power range there. It's a REtuned engine. :) That's the big difference in these two bikes. I also notice less heat than even my old ST1100. Engine is more open and plastic doesn't hold in the heat so much as either ST model. The CTX is a very comfortable bike for road trips. Just returned from NATSTOC (my bike in Mellow's pics). My first trip non-stop (other than gas and lunch) for more than 450 miles. Was about 660 miles and was still feeling like I could keep going farther in that seat. Not quite as comfy as I've heard the RDL seats are but don't really know since I've never owned one. Usually go around 200 miles while travelling before stopping for gas (one stop was 216.8 miles, another at 195 miles and just filled up after my return and riding to work all week at 208 miles and the remaining range indicated is usually between 20-30 miles). Yep, the panniers are not as deep as on the ST but both ST models and this CTX are the same total volume at 35 liters. My panniers are longer and more rectangular than the ST1300 bags.

Oh, and STGui, here is MY top case :grin:

Last edited:

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
Don't know if you can see the pics but here are a few posted on the CTX1300 forum:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/honda-ctx1300-photos/5506-pictures-top-case.html

And some of the overseas White version:
http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/honda-ctx1300-photos/8665-ctx-white.html

@nokesy - Does your buddy have an alias/name on the CTX1300 forum? Unless you both were riding about 95 mph the torque AND HP on the CTX would be higher than the ST in 5th gear. It just passes 5000 rpm at that speed and that's where both ST and CTX are the SAME torque and HP... the CTX is coming down in torque and soon after to come down in HP but the ST is just starting to get up to the power range there. It's a REtuned engine. :) That's the big difference in these two bikes. I also notice less heat than even my old ST1100. Engine is more open and plastic doesn't hold in the heat so much as either ST model. The CTX is a very comfortable bike for road trips. Just returned from NATSTOC (my bike in Mellow's pics). My first trip non-stop (other than gas and lunch) for more than 450 miles. Was about 660 miles and was still feeling like I could keep going farther in that seat. Not quite as comfy as I've heard the RDL seats are but don't really know since I've never owned one. Usually go around 200 miles while travelling before stopping for gas (one stop was 216.8 miles, another at 195 miles and just filled up after my return and riding to work all week at 208 miles and the remaining range indicated is usually between 20-30 miles). Yep, the panniers are not as deep as on the ST but both ST models and this CTX are the same total volume at 35 liters. My panniers are longer and more rectangular than the ST1300 bags.

Oh, and STGui, here is MY top case :grin:

I agree with you, just did not want to take the time to go through the tech stuff. He is quite happy with the bike and has no problem keeping up. I think the only thing he does not like is that he does not get the long time between fill ups. He has the same windshield you have but would really like the powered one that the ST has. I road his bike and the only thing that I would need time to get use to was the length of the tank area and that big rear tire. It is lower to the ground which works well for him. It is different looking but I would ride one. He is not on the forum but I told him he should be. He probably does not have time as you puts on about 60,000 a year on his bike.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That big black DryPak dry bag is 110 liter from Amazon, less than $50 delivered. :) Just a little bigger than the Honda trunk. Decided I liked that option much better and also the look of the bike without any trunk when not camping/traveling. Less drag with the clean tail.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That big black DryPak dry bag is 110 liter from Amazon, less than $50 delivered. :) Just a little bigger than the Honda trunk. Decided I liked that option much better and also the look of the bike without any trunk when not camping/traveling. Less drag with the clean tail.
I have the same dry bag (only blue). As Bob said, it is BIG but holds all my camping gear, plus a little more. Straps across my seat between me and my top case... works as a nice back rest! ;)

2- Day 1 Skyline Drive 1.jpg

Top Bottom