Swingarm pivot bolt \ nut don't align - concern?

Okay, last night I had the upper tank lifted, checking on hoses underneath ...

So. I look down at the swingarm (left side) swivel bolt\nut and notice the factory -white paint- marks don't match.
Any concern? Check torque? I suspect the previous owner has replaced the bearings(?).

left-sa.jpg

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
If you know the bearings have been replaced then I would not worry. If you are unsure or don't trust the work done you could always loosen the lock ring and re-torque it. I have removed my swingarm and my paint marks no longer match up either.

Byron

STOC #
If you decide to re-torque the swingarm I would double check how it is done as there is a specific sequence as to which side gets torqued first and what values. Not following this procedure could cause problems.

OP
OP
If you are unsure or don't trust the work done you could always loosen the lock ring and re-torque it
I'm unsure, and at this point, don't trust ...

If you decide to re-torque the swingarm I would double check how it is done as there is a specific sequence as to which side gets torqued first and what values.
The more I find small -issues- on this bike, the more I'm inclined go over it with a fine-toothed comb and ensure all is what it should be.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm certainly going to re-check the torque, *properly*.

BTW, is there a simple, "here's how to verify the swingarm bearings besides inspection via removal?

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I don't know if a way to check them without removal. I also don't think I have seen anyone need to replace them but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
I don't know if a way to check them without removal. I also don't think I have seen anyone need to replace them but I could be wrong.
My point exactly. My research shows 90k+ miles when folks refresh them (?)

Which is exactly why I question -why- the paint marks on the bolt\nut don't line up.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
The swing arm could have been pulled for another reason than the bearing. Maybe the U-joint or some other reason that they needed to fix.

Top Bottom