Bridgestone T30 GT's - How do you like them?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well I was keeping a very close eye on it. I had the new tire ordered. I checked it before going to work that day and knew that second layer rubber was starting to show. Checked it before the ride home and knew it we'd getting parked until the new tire was mounted. Smart? No, but ran the last one Almost the same. Dry conditions for sure, I wouldn't push that far in wet conditions that's for sure.
Wet roads would be my last worry with a tire like that. What about a major blowout on the road at 60 MPH, or less, for that matter? There would be no slowed deflation, as with a nail, just a sudden collapse of the tire. Is risking bodily harm and serious bike damage worth getting every last shred of rubber out of the tires? I would think any insurance company could easily deny a damage claim if an accident occurred due to a blown tire in that condition.

I would add that broc11, two posts up, takes the matter even less seriously by exposing his passenger (spouse?) to serious harm as well.:eek:

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Kind of reminds me of that soap opera, One Life to Live, or maybe it was Days of Our Lives....whatever, I've left for an afternoon ride on a tire that I thought had a thousand miles left in it and returned with it looking worse than that....the steel hitting the pavement makes a weird swishing sound.....anyway, never blew one out....we all assume some kind of risk, and the insurance thing is the last thing I'd think about..........ride well, ride safe...........ff

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Wet roads would be my last worry with a tire like that. What about a major blowout on the road at 60 MPH, or less, for that matter? There would be no slowed deflation, as with a nail, just a sudden collapse of the tire. Is risking bodily harm and serious bike damage worth getting every last shred of rubber out of the tires? I would think any insurance company could easily deny a damage claim if an accident occurred due to a blown tire in that condition.

I would add that broc11, two posts up, takes the matter even less seriously by exposing his passenger (spouse?) to serious harm as well.:eek:
60??? No, more like I rode home slower at 75. To each his own, I know full Well the risks that are at stake. Thanks for the concern though. [emoji1]

Bike
Vstrom 650
I would add that broc11, two posts up, takes the matter even less seriously by exposing his passenger (spouse?) to serious harm as well.
Thanks for your concern as well but the last 1000 or so miles were solo as it happens,the reason I mentioned 2 up was because of the mileage the tyre lasted,
I had a tyre wear down that far as well on my last vfr,I remember clipping a long at well over the ton,maybe closer to 150, (on a private road of course) on one of the last rides I had on it,it was a pirelli angel, the day I was leaving to and get new tyres fitted I pulled her out of the shed and she was sitting warming up,went to get some gear on and came back,back tyre was flat,anyway plugged it and rode 40 miles to get the new tyres fitted, it was like a tube when we took it off,learned me a lesson that day,didn't realise how little rubber was left on that Pirelli,there were no bands showing but it was just worn bald,
anyway I change tyres now long before that stage,not worth the risk as you say,but we each take our own chances.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
What do you think you're gaining from running it down that far?:confused: Oooo.....look I got an extra 5-800 miles while risking a blowout. No thanks.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
To each their own but I don't like the feel of worn tires and their affect on handling, it would certainly cost me less if I went beyond the 7 or 8k I isually get.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
What do you think you're gaining from running it down that far?:confused: Oooo.....look I got an extra 5-800 miles while risking a blowout. No thanks.
I put 500 minimum miles a week on the 1300. I gain time and hassle of changing the tire so often. It's not out of ego I assure you. The tire went about 60 miles on steel. I was sharing info based on others asking about How the T30 performs and How long it was lasting. Should it have been changed sooner, Yes. Will I run this one down that far Probably not, but it will be close.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I put 500 minimum miles a week on the 1300. I gain time and hassle of changing the tire so often. It's not out of ego I assure you. The tire went about 60 miles on steel. I was sharing info based on others asking about How the T30 performs and How long it was lasting. Should it have been changed sooner, Yes. Will I run this one down that far Probably not, but it will be close.
I don't think your miles and wear are a good gauge for people since most wouldn't think of running a tire that low.
Maybe next time report when you get down to the wear bars.

You seem like a good candidate for a car tire since you don't like changing tires.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I don't think your miles and wear are a good gauge for people since most wouldn't think of running a tire that low.
Maybe next time report when you get down to the wear bars.

You seem like a good candidate for a car tire since you don't like changing tires.
Whatever guys, I was just sharing my experiences. I wasn't looking for internet dads. Next time I Probably won't bother reporting anything. Ride on !

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yes, but think of all of the people you made feel better by them be able to tell you how you should live your life. Well done.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Whatever guys, I was just sharing my experiences. I wasn't looking for internet dads. Next time I Probably won't bother reporting anything. Ride on !
Maybe you misinterpreted my reply. I just would like for you to state your mileage when you get down to the wear bars. Also, lots of guys switch to car tires for the reason you run yours down so low. Have you ever considered one?

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Maybe you misinterpreted my reply. I just would like for you to state your mileage when you get down to the wear bars. Also, lots of guys switch to car tires for the reason you run yours down so low. Have you ever considered one?
If that was your intent Then Yes I misinterpreted what you were saying. I can report when I hit wear bars.

I have thought about going darkside, but am concerned about handling. Handling in the cornering or lean in characteristics. I rode a buddy's zx1400 turboed with a 300 rear. While the bike was a riot in going straight it sucked to get it to lean.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Talking about wearing a tyre down to the bands being dangerous,over here if anyone heard you were putting a car tyre on a motorbike they'd think you were crazy, the roads must be easier on tyres over there,
different riding styles and loads carried all have varying effects on tyre life, the T30's handled great for me and I'm happy enough to get 6 or 7000 miles from a rear tyre, the front GT version will last another rear by the looks of it,
I have T30's on the vfr now as well,great grip and very smooth.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I am down to the wear bars on my first and last T30GT rear. I am at 6000 miles on this tire and it does not handle as well as a PR3 or PR4 in my opinion. I usually get 11000 miles out of a rear so this is not an economical tire either for me. If it were half the price of the Michelin I might run it again but it costs more per mile and it doesn't handle as well. Not for me. YM WILL V.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The last four sets of tires have been the OEM Bridgestones. I am very comfortable with them and feel they have worked better than the Michelin, Avon and Dunlop i had purchased it the past. We ride two up all the time and rarely get 9500 miles off the back tire and 13500 off the front.
Last week i ordered the Bridgestone T30 GT for the bike. Should be here next week. From the blog at the supplier the T30 had a better record than the 020's and 023.
Hopefully they are at least just as good. They were about $50 cheaper than the OEM set.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I have thought about going darkside, but am concerned about handling. Handling in the cornering or lean in characteristics. I rode a buddy's zx1400 turboed with a 300 rear. While the bike was a riot in going straight it sucked to get it to lean.[/QUOTE]

Please don't interpret this as a attempt to bring you over to the dark side! But since I live close to you I would gladly let you try out my double darkside 1300 ABS to see if it's a possible option.

Mike:03biker:

Bike
2007 ST1300
I ordered a set of the T30 GT tires, from reading all the comments the opinions are quite mixed. I have run OEM and Michelins, only. I like the OEM's just thought I would try these and see if I get at least equal or better mileage, If not then I will go back to the 020's

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Is the 40 dollar rebate still available? I really like the T30GTs on my FJR........have fun, ride safe........ff

Top Bottom