Crashed my ST last Thursday. Now...decisions to make

Bike
2006 Black ST13
I crashed my ST at highway speeds on Route 20 east of Burns, OR. I'll spare you the details, but I basically hit a patch of oily water on the road. I went off low side. The bike skidded on the left side then flipped and skidded on the right side. The MCL tipover bars did their job well and are about half worn through. I only have sore muscles after sliding down the pavement for about 100 feet or so. My AeroStich Roadcrafter suit and Shoei Neotec took all the damage. I have no breaks or road rash. ATGATT y'all!

I could perhaps fix this bike but even the front of the frame is bent so I am doubtful that fixing it is wise. However, it still starts right up and seems rideable except for a broken brake lever. Amazing!

Anyway, I am pretty sure that the bike is toast. Insurance say they will likely total it. I will find out in a few days. Now I am trying to decide whether to get another ST or something else. I have seen a newer ST an a BMW R1200RT on Craig's list here in my part of Oregon. I appreciate any input.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Fjr 1300 ae. Worth a look.

Glad you're in good shape....always sad to see a great bike be totaled, but it's just a bike.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Very sorry to hear- I just got a Neotec- it sounds like it protected you well. You could get another used ST (with what insurance gives you) and transfer any farkels you have over to the replacement bike or decide to try something new (like the R1200RT or an FJR1300)- I'm a fan of the FJR and would like one (even though my 1100 has lots of life left). The 2013 FJR's have factory cruise control for what that's worth.

I wouldn't fix it if yours has frame damage. It'll probably never be the same in terms of stability or safety.

I hope you recover quickly.

Last edited:
Glad you're ok despite the st being a write off (maybe)

Good luck finding your next bike, you certainly have a good choice nowadays.

I see you mentioned another ST & RT, but what about an FJR or Concourse ? ..... Just playing devils advocate :)

OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
I only mentioned the ST and RT because those are what I have found locally in the last 24 hours of looking. I have a good friend with a C14. Nice bike, but having the valves adjusted is a *****. I am open to a C14 or FJR. Also, for those of you in the Northwest, let me know if you know of any good bikes for sale.

Byron

STOC #
Are you sure it is the frame that is bent and not just the front cowl support? Unless it hit something more than likely it's just a simple matter of replacing damaged parts and it should be good as new. It won't necessarily be inexpensive but cheaper than a new bike.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Glad you are OK and only the bike has parts that need to be replaced. I would bet the only section of support that needs to be replaced is the front cowl and lots of plastic. Get the money from your insurance company and repair the bike yourself. Do you have pictures of the bike?

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Quite an occurrence and experience - and - happy for you all that's damaged can replaced (or repaired).

After I was STruck by the tail-end of a trailer that had crossed over the double-yellow years ago - even though recovery took several months - well before I could walk or get a boot on the badly injured foot/ankle/leg I pretty much kept myself busy with carefully selecting and planning replacement for my totaled motorcycle. Getting up onto two wheels again never seems to go as fast as we'd like - and a good many of us have experienced that "lost" feeling of being without that "favorite" ride, even when injuries prevented physically doing so . . .

I suspect you'll look for and consider all available options and opportunities.

Best of everything and do have "fun", if that's possible, with your selection process.

Thank you,
-Elliot

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Great thing you had your gear on! Maybe plan a fly and ride for your next ST13? Or bus and ride as I did last year. ;) and especially if you can find a deal from one of the members here. Good luck with your hunt.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
It is the front left frame part that supports the dash and windscreen. Is that the front cowl support?

Are you sure it is the frame that is bent and not just the front cowl support? Unless it hit something more than likely it's just a simple matter of replacing damaged parts and it should be good as new. It won't necessarily be inexpensive but cheaper than a new bike.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Glad you are okay! Going down at highway speeds is never good, but appears you came out of it as good as one could expect. Doesn't sound like the ST is that bad off either. I wish you the best in whatever direction you go.

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
if it was me i would just buy it back and replace front stay and any other parts that got broken, if u are not sure u want to fix on your own there are guys that would help u rebuild as needed. its worth fixing if u ask me, if u decide u just want to get another bike and not deal with the st, then take the farkels off and sell them off and get the fjr, i did some work on one the other day and to adjust the throttle body's was so easy it took me 10 mins start to finish. nice bike if u ask me.

Top Bottom