STOC #
OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13

DAS

STOC #
So glad you are ok. I did the same thing in '08 - hit some motor oil at about 50 mph in a hard left and low sided until it hit the shoulder. Would you mind telling me what the insurance cos. buy out price is. I might be tempted to move up from a '97 to an '06.

OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
I can let you know if that seems doable. I don't know what they will offer as a buyout. I have someone else who asked first. So I guess you are second in line. Thanks for your interest.

So glad you are ok. I did the same thing in '08 - hit some motor oil at about 50 mph in a hard left and low sided until it hit the shoulder. Would you mind telling me what the insurance cos. buy out price is. I might be tempted to move up from a '97 to an '06.

Bike
ST1300A '10
first, good on you for wearing the 'stitch, I'm sure that helped quite a bit. Second, on the RT it's a lovely bike but keep in mind the service demands (like valve adj. intervals for instance). After living with an ST, I think that might be hard to take. Really, if you were happy with the ST I'd shop around, there are still more than a few 2010's sitting on the floor. You might need to go 500-1,00 miles to get the best deal but really, what is a little thousand mile jaunt on an ST? Remember also that Aerostich repairs suits, I've seen some pretty banged up ones sitting on the rack up there waiting to be repaired. It's a good suit to begin with but if you've been down in one they become invaluable.

OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
I have pretty much ruled out a BMW. Thanks for the confirmation. I agree and will swear by Aerostich from now on. I will have the items repaired. They are ready to be sent out as soon as my insurance adjuster looks them over today.

first, good on you for wearing the 'stitch, I'm sure that helped quite a bit. Second, on the RT it's a lovely bike but keep in mind the service demands (like valve adj. intervals for instance). After living with an ST, I think that might be hard to take. Really, if you were happy with the ST I'd shop around, there are still more than a few 2010's sitting on the floor. You might need to go 500-1,00 miles to get the best deal but really, what is a little thousand mile jaunt on an ST? Remember also that Aerostich repairs suits, I've seen some pretty banged up ones sitting on the rack up there waiting to be repaired. It's a good suit to begin with but if you've been down in one they become invaluable.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have pretty much ruled out a BMW. Thanks for the confirmation. I agree and will swear by Aerostich from now on. I will have the items repaired. They are ready to be sent out as soon as my insurance adjuster looks them over today.

Whatever you replace your crashed ST with, get ABS. Good luck.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
If you are willing to open up your options a little bit you might want to take a test ride on a Gen III FJR (2013 0r 2014). New 2013's have been known to be available in the low 13s brand new. The goodies that come with this generation are:

1) Throttle by wire with butter smooth operation in both Drive Modes (T for Touring, S for Sport).
2) Built-in factory cruise control. 80mph limit on the 2013, 100mph limit on the 2014. Exceptionally well integrated and flawless operation.
3) Traction control (can be turned off).
4) ABS of course.
5) Heated grips.

All standard on all units. This might be quite a change for you coming from an ST (which is an exceptional motorcycle in all respects). But the new Feej has some modern enhancements that sweeten the pot.

Dan

OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
Yes, I am looking at FJR's and they do seem to be nice machines. Do you have any idea about the differences in their maintenance schedules?

If you are willing to open up your options a little bit you might want to take a test ride on a Gen III FJR (2013 0r 2014). New 2013's have been known to be available in the low 13s brand new. The goodies that come with this generation are:

1) Throttle by wire with butter smooth operation in both Drive Modes (T for Touring, S for Sport).
2) Built-in factory cruise control. 80mph limit on the 2013, 100mph limit on the 2014. Exceptionally well integrated and flawless operation.
3) Traction control (can be turned off).
4) ABS of course.
5) Heated grips.

All standard on all units. This might be quite a change for you coming from an ST (which is an exceptional motorcycle in all respects). But the new Feej has some modern enhancements that sweeten the pot.

Dan

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Yes, I am looking at FJR's and they do seem to be nice machines. Do you have any idea about the differences in their maintenance schedules?
I am a brand new 2014 A owner so I cannot speak from direct experience. I did quite a bit of research and lurking on the various FJR forums before making the leap back in November. What I came away with was a general concensus of ease of maintenance in general and an excellent track record of reliable, dependable longevity. First valve clearance check is scheduled at 26,000 miles, access is not as good as the ST, way better than the C14 and often no adjustments are required. Some have gone close to 100k miles and not needed attention. I don't see many complaints regarding valve clearance adjustments on the sites. All of the above for all three generations. The basic engine is unchanged since Gen I (Yamaha saw no need to do anything with the engine for the Gen III project although they studied many ways to improve performance including increasing displacement but felt the engineering was not worth the return - the engine shines as is).

Reputations of granite-like durability are pervasive. Many have started with Gen I machines and moved up as new generations have been introduced, some three or four times, very loyal.

As a motorcyclist of 50+ years and having ridden the big irons since the late 70s (Yamaha XS1100, Kawasaki C10 Concours, etc.) this is by far the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden in all respects. To me personally, the ST1300 is extremely close (my good, long time riding buddy has a 2006 and I have ridden it many, many times), an exceptionally fine motorcycle.

What the Gen IIIs bring to the table is state-of-the-art in "driveability" refinements and important upgrades in the handling and suspension (stiffer springs on the "A" for instance). Yamaha has spent many years developing and fine tuning the YCC-T (throttle-by-wire) and Traction Control on their high-end Grand Prix motorcycles and have intelligently moved these technologies out into ther flagship motorcycles (FJR and Tenere to name a couple). The Unified Braking System (Yamaha's version of linked brakes) is very well liked amongst the owners and seems invisible to riders, even the hard core canyon chargers.

Oil/filter changes are a breeze, not much else needs attention (air filter when required).

I let my son Steven take it for a ride for about 50 miles for the first time this past Sunday. I nearly had to pry it away from him to get it back.

It's all good.

Dan

[Edit to add:

Here is a link to a testimonial by a hard core, long time FJR owner that just moved up to a 2014 ES. Very interesting reading:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158660-creative-solution-to-aging-gen-1-issues/page-1 ]

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
Thanks a bunch for the run down. Nice.

I am a brand new 2014 A owner so I cannot speak from direct experience. I did quite a bit of research and lurking on the various FJR forums before making the leap back in November. What I came away with was a general concensus of ease of maintenance in general and an excellent track record of reliable, dependable longevity. First valve clearance check is scheduled at 26,000 miles, access is not as good as the ST, way better than the C14 and often no adjustments are required. Some have gone close to 100k miles and not needed attention. I don't see many complaints regarding valve clearance adjustments on the sites. All of the above for all three generations. The basic engine is unchanged since Gen I (Yamaha saw no need to do anything with the engine for the Gen III project although they studied many ways to improve performance including increasing displacement but felt the engineering was not worth the return - the engine shines as is).

Reputations of granite-like durability are pervasive. Many have started with Gen I machines and moved up as new generations have been introduced, some three or four times, very loyal.

As a motorcyclist of 50+ years and having ridden the big irons since the late 70s (Yamaha XS1100, Kawasaki C10 Concours, etc.) this is by far the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden in all respects. To me personally, the ST1300 is extremely close (my good, long time riding buddy has a 2006 and I have ridden it many, many times), an exceptionally fine motorcycle.

What the Gen IIIs bring to the table is state-of-the-art in "driveability" refinements and important upgrades in the handling and suspension (stiffer springs on the "A" for instance). Yamaha has spent many years developing and fine tuning the YCC-T (throttle-by-wire) and Traction Control on their high-end Grand Prix motorcycles and have intelligently moved these technologies out into ther flagship motorcycles (FJR and Tenere to name a couple). The Unified Braking System (Yamaha's version of linked brakes) is very well liked amongst the owners and seems invisible to riders, even the hard core canyon chargers.

Oil/filter changes are a breeze, not much else needs attention (air filter when required).

I let my son Steven take it for a ride for about 50 miles for the first time this past Sunday. I nearly had to pry it away from him to get it back.

It's all good.

Dan

[Edit to add:

Here is a link to a testimonial by a hard core, long time FJR owner that just moved up to a 2014 ES. Very interesting reading:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158660-creative-solution-to-aging-gen-1-issues/page-1 ]

Bike
ST1300A '10
an FJR is a magnificent machine and I had fully intended to buy one a few years back when I was shopping for a new touring bike.
Unfortunatly (or fortunatly for me) a left over ST ABS was sitting right next to it when I went in to
look. Sitting on the two back-to-back the ST felt larger, more touring oriented vs the FJ's slighly tighter, more sports bike-like stance. Since I seem to need to modify nearly every bike I buy (bars and seat up, pegs down, highway pegs) I went with the ST. In my case I'm both tall and have bad knees so YMMV but it is something to keep in mind. Either of them tho feel positively Goldwing-like compared to the C-14 to me.
I also think the MCL highway blades are the best integration of highway pegs to a sport touring bike I've seen. Since this bike is about long distance teavel for me and I use highway pegs all the time when I travel, that was important. I prefer the 3 generations of refinement that the FJ has gone thru (particularly the added cruise) but to me, fit was more important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
Yes, I love the highway wings. If I stay with an ST then I will certainly add them on.

an FJR is a magnificent machine and I had fully intended to buy one a few years back when I was shopping for a new touring bike.
Unfortunatly (or fortunatly for me) a left over ST ABS was sitting right next to it when I went in to
look. Sitting on the two back-to-back the ST felt larger, more touring oriented vs the FJ's slighly tighter, more sports bike-like stance. Since I seem to need to modify nearly every bike I buy (bars and seat up, pegs down, highway pegs) I went with the ST. In my case I'm both tall and have bad knees so YMMV but it is something to keep in mind. Either of them tho feel positively Goldwing-like compared to the C-14 to me.
I also think the MCL highway blades are the best integration of highway pegs to a sport touring bike I've seen. Since this bike is about long distance teavel for me and I use highway pegs all the time when I travel, that was important. I prefer the 3 generations of refinement that the FJ has gone thru (particularly the added cruise) but to me, fit was more important.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
My bike also skidded on one side and then flipped to the other side at highway speeds. I had to straighten both the front cowl stay and the rear plate that supports the grab rails.

OP
OP
mgilles0
Bike
2006 Black ST13
Hi Everyone, after a lot of research and soul searching and riding several bikes including a 2012 ST, I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a 2013 FJR. I am very pleased with the bike so far. Thank you for all of your input. -Mike

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Congrats Mike! Don't forget who made the suggestion first... that person should be able to take it out for a spin . ;)

Top Bottom