Teardrop dog trailer DIY build

Bike
2003 ST1300
I have been so excited as I've come to the end of this project, but I didn't want to post until I was finished. Well I am now 98% done and can't wait any longer.
This started because a friend wanted me to CNC cut some parts for a half scale model for a teardrop camping trailer. At first I didn't care, but when I saw the parts I started thinking "this is the right size to make a motorcycle trailer".
So when he got the shell made he handed it over to me and I did the rest.
It weighs about 225 pounds. I've only pulled it a couple times (to the shop for paint and back) and I haven't really tested it yet for capability. I plan to do that in a parking lot before I carry it any distance. The hitch seems to allow plenty of lean angle, but I don't want to find out I'm wrong in a turn on a road.
So here goes:
It starts with some CAD work. This was all done in 2d
flat parts.jpg
After cutting on the CNC router and some glue, screws, and staples, it's a skeleton.
IMG_8980.jpg
A thin wood skin was installed on top with some relief cuts on the tightest curved areas.
IMG953071.jpg
Left and right sides are aluminum composite material. It's light and strong and was originally going to be my final finish.
IMG_7737.jpg
A lot of money and parts went into this. I debated just buying a harbor freight trailer and robbing what I wanted from it, but settled instead on building from parts.
20140720_132517 (Large).jpg
You can see here I have it clamped to the hitch tube (I'll call it). I was trying to determine the right length. I settled on very long. I read somewhere that the length from the center of the axle should be about 2-3 times the axle width. I don't know if that's right, but it works and is pretty balanced at this length also. The trailer is 30" wide x 4' long, and with the tongue, it's close to 8' long.
20140722_225342 (Large).jpg
The boat window I found at Lanier Marine Liquidators. I figured this could keep water out as well as anything. This was a neat place, basically a boat junkyard. I found a few other possible windows, but this one slides open, has a screen and was the right size. It's from an Ebbtide boat. Once I got it home I realized it needed some work, so I refinished it.
20140726_114830 (Large).jpg20140727_230215 (Large).jpg20140727_230238 (Large).jpg
After cutting the port hole for Maggie to have her head out of.
20140802_153241 (Large).jpg
Lexan door, lot's of goof off and work to get this old paper removed.
20140730_223528 (Large).jpg
CNC cut tail light housing with attachment tabs should match the shape fo the trailer. I formed this by hand basically. It's 0.03" aluminum, so I could tweak it until it fit right. I had predrilled holes to match the lights so that helped a bit. Drawing this took some time. None of this was modeled in 3d. So brute force was used to make this flat pattern.
20140801_212514 (Large).jpg
Before bondo and painting you can see my tail light holders fit well, but not perfectly. Currently this is the one thing I'm not really thrilled about. The bondo job I did wasn't that great. You can't tell unless you look closely at the finished product, but it does bother me. Maybe eventually I'll refinish it.
20140804_074457 (Large).jpg
Lexan port hole rain cover. Bending this in the oven was a pain and it still doesn't fit perfectly, but then it probably will never get used, so it's fine. I made a jig off MDF and 040 aluminum to the trailer shape. Baked the whole thing for a long time, slowly increasing the temp. At about 280 the lexan finally turned to a rubber like material.
20140804_074416 (Large).jpg
I noticed Maggie kept hunting with her back leg for a step, so I thought this woudl do the trick. It's from a Honda Pacific Coast motorcycle. Good theory, but in practice she would just jump clear into the trailer with this in her way. I spent a lot of time chiseling into the 2x6 so this would be level and flush. All a wasted effort, but it was a good thought.
20140806_073607 (Large).jpg
I installed rigid foam between the ribs before spraying on a liquid foam. This was mostly just to fill the voids so the spray foam would be more uniform. These are not attached in any way, just squeezed between the wooden ribs.
20140807_172617 (Large).jpg
Freshly painted. Here is the only place you'll see the spray foam inside.
20140812_154117 (Large).jpg
20140812_154054 (Large).jpg
20140812_154109 (Large).jpg
Rear bumper made of (you guessed it) aluminum composite material. Mirror finish. The plate should fit between the sloped lines. Attached with VHB Tape and silicone and will be screwed but I want to make sure the plate will hide the screws before I do it.
20140817_192922 (Large).jpg
Finished lexan door and final step which is large enough for Maggie to use rather than jump over.
20140816_195924 (Large).jpg
I printed a paper template that matched my original cnc cut files. I used it to mark my upholstry for rough fitting. Then I would put them inside the trailer and remark/trim.
20140815_195008 (Large).jpg
I first installed carpet padding between the supports, then I installed a second layer over everything. Attached with spray adhesive.
20140815_215632 (Large).jpg
Nearly finished interior. I used 2" foam and vinyl over 3/8" plywood to make these 3 cushions. They had to be small enough to fit through the door if I ever wanted to take them out to clean etc. I used automotive carpet on the walls.
20140817_212459 (Large).jpg
20140817_212445 (Large).jpg
Nearly finished interior. I just need some sort of head liner possibly.
20140817_212459 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
coleridge
Bike
2003 ST1300
Nice... only for the dog? will it double for anything else?
Great job.
Well it was built as a half scale model of the real thing, so the main compartment just has the small door opening. You could put stuff in there, and the trunk isn't too small. So yeah, if you wanted to carry things you could. Not as much as the same size trailer with better access, but some stuff sure.

OP
OP
coleridge
Bike
2003 ST1300
Well I posted this to some internet sites and had a photo album much like the one above on a site called imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/HrARq
It got over 170,000 views today. I think that qualifies as viral.
The biggest non bashing complaint though was the lack of an in use photo.
I'm not ready to drive her around yet, but this alleviated the pressure from the masses.
20140819_133912 (Large).jpg
The next biggest complaints were that she would overheat. I think most of these people didn't realize her head would be out of the port hole or the port hole would be open. They just saw the lexan cover and assumed it would be sealed.
Behind that were the people worried about a wreck, and behind that people worried about the exhaust.
I can measure temperature easily and put ice packs or a make shift air conditioner (run a pipe through a cooler full of icewater perhaps) and know if heat is an issue.
We all ride motorcycles, we know the risks, yeah she would get messed up in a wreck, same as in the car.
But do you all think the exhaust is an issue? I was thinking much of the exhaust will go below the trailer. I was thinking there is a lot of air mixing in, it shouldn't be harmful, but what do you all think?

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
No problem with exhaust, it's safely mixed with ambient air. How else would us motorcyclists, convertible drivers, those with no car A/C survive crowded roads full of exhaust belching cars and trucks?

Incredible job on the trailer. My wife can't stop giggling at the pic.

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I don't see how anyone could question your affection for your dog after going to all of that time and expense.

I've thought about building a tear drop camper (for me). I even purchased a trailer to put it on. After two years of sitting, I sold the trailer and moved on. Maybe someday.
Mike

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Very nice! Impressive fabrication skills and I know Maggie will love the ride. The porthole is brilliant -- big enough to get her head out and feel the breeze (which all dogs & motorcycle riders love), but not big enough to be a safety issue. Great job.
Regards,
Terry

OP
OP
coleridge
Bike
2003 ST1300
Update: here is the true first ride by Maggie.
http://youtu.be/r7Ua6v_BoUw
It went well, this is the same text I typed for the youtube description:
Maggie takes her first one minute ride in the teardrop dog trailer. She seemed to enjoy it, that was a relief after the amount of work we've put in. When we stopped the video, we opened the door, let her out, she seemed simply excited. When it was time to go home, there was no resistance, she jumped right back in, so after this video we rode home from work about 12 minutes. Just like in the car she went from one window to the other. She would stick her head out the front (porthole), then the side (narrow black boat window), then the front. I was relieved because I had worried it would take some coercing to get her to enjoy it, but it wasn't a problem, she hopped in like she has 100 times without it connected to a running motorcycle, and off we went. When we got home I immediately took off my gloves and stuck an arm inside. It was cooler inside than outside, but I think that's because it didn't have time to heat up. I don't intend to take her very far if it's hot out, but I knew she would be fine for 12 minutes with her head out. She never barked or freaked out, I was able to watch her in my rear view mirror almost constantly, and my wife followed behind in the car the whole trip. Success!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Looks like Maggie is one happy pooch! Many happy rides in the future for the both of you.

Top Bottom