Teardrop dog trailer DIY build

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
My only thought is whether you might want to add a vent to the back or bottom of the trailer to provide an escape route for airflow. The improved airflow would help with temperature control as well as helping to provide fresh air for her if/when she might choose to lie down. Maybe you already built this in and I didn't notice.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My only thought is whether you might want to add a vent to the back or bottom of the trailer to provide an escape route for airflow. The improved airflow would help with temperature control as well as helping to provide fresh air for her if/when she might choose to lie down. Maybe you already built this in and I didn't notice.
Yeah, I was wondering about that... not sure how much exhaust gas makes it to the top hole, maybe not much. A louver at the top rear would help pull air out. I would keep all the vents high away from traffic related exhaust...Maybe even a solar powered fan.

OP
OP
coleridge
Bike
2003 ST1300
Yes, there has been much concern about air flow and temperature control. I first had an idea of running a pipe with a scoop on it through a cooler full of ice and into the trailer to create a make shift air conditioner. Then I decided it probably won't get used enough or at all in hot temperatures and I put the idea off. So instead I thought I would do a cheap trial to determine if it was even an issue. So I bought a simple indoor outdoor remote thermometer. I have tested it for short trips behind the car (no dog) and the temperature really doesn't get but a few degrees hotter than outside. The trailer is very well insulated with the spray foam, so I think that is why it stays cooler than expected. I had it parked in the sun for 4 hours today. When I came out, the outside air was 92, the inside of the car was 105, and the inside of the dog trailer was 95, so that made me feel pretty good about it. I'm still testing this out a bit and making sure it doesn't get too hot. If it does, then I think the pipe through the cooler will be my first try at solving heat. I'm really so worried about water getting in, and I'm also sort of finished with the build phase. I feel I can add appendages, but I don't want to do any more cutting and painting if you know what I mean.
I'll keep you posted.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Great little video. The porthole almost looks big enough for Maggie to get out! :)

I wouldn't worry to much about how cool the tear drop gets, just think of it of a car with the windows open... The cars of the '40's and '50's didn't have air conditioning and all of those people made it...
Although I'd want to figure out how to let Maggie hydrate if I was going to take her on long trips.

Great job too!

Mark

Top Bottom